Battery cable replacement options

Just replaced all of mine with the 2 ga set from JeepCables. Nice cable set. I'm very satisfied. The 2ga can be a little more of a challenge to install due to the stiffer cable, but worth it. The company was very easy to work with and very responsive to my questions before and after the sale. Made in the USA.

I went with custombattery cables. 1 gauge wire and had them install "military" terminals (what makes them military I have no idea). I have no complaints.

Last edited:
Reactions: H_Nunez and rasband
I have the full set from Jeepcables.com and am very satisfied with them. The posts are the "military style" which allow easy add-ons to the side post rather than the tightening bolt. Nice, clean installation.

Reactions: H_Nunez
A couple weeks ago I replaced the factory 6 gauge coarse stranded battery cables for the '01 TJ Sport 4.0L with a set that I built myself using military battery clamps, 10' of 4 gauge fine stranded cable for positive and negative cables, fusion connectors and copper eyelets, 5' of 8 gauge fine stranded cables for the ground lead going from the fire wall to the negative terminal and split wire loom similar to what the factory uses.
All of the materials cost about $55.

Last edited:
I went with custombattery cables. 1 gauge wire and had them install "military" terminals (whats makes them military I have no idea). I have no complaints.

I went this route too, a bit expensive but no complaints of the results. The nice part of doing the military terminals is they are easy to hook in add-ons by using a larger 3/8” bolt. Though now mine is just a rat nest of wiring.

Reactions: tworley
I went with custombatterycables.com

Battery Cables 1.jpg

Battery Cables 2.jpg

All of the materials cost about $55.
Where did you get the supplies?
Seems a bit like you could piece together a nice kit from a vendor like BatteryCablesUSA.com for allot less if you measured the stock cables. Especially if it's only 5 wires and less than 20 feet. Even with top grade connectors/wire it would still be allot less than those Jeep specific kits.

I purchased the cable, eyelets and split wire loom locally from an Industrial Liquidators; the military battery clamps I won at a NAXJA Off Road event several years ago.
If you are near Marshalls Hardware, McFadden-Dale Hardware or there is an Electronics Liquidators in Orange County that will have the cable and the eyelets.

Reactions: pagrey
I also went with www.custombatterycables.com, the "Zen Big-3 Kit for Jeep TJ - 1997-2006 4.0L I-6". Yes, it was expensive. Yes, I could have built my own. But I really just didn't feel like dealing with it. I also received the kit super quick and I'm very happy with the quality.

Reactions: CodaMan
Battery Cables USA.com
A couple are a few inches long. I think i order the correct parts. $64 after shipping.

Order Summary

[TD valign="top"]
S2RDREDBLACK_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
S2BK-36IN-38 2 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Color: Black
Length (hole center to hole center): 36 inch
Cable Ends Options: 3/8 lug both ends​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
s4collage2_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
S4RD-12IN-56-38 4 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Color: Red
Length (hole center to hole center): 12 inch
Cable Ends Options: 5/16 lug one side 3/8 lug other side​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$5.96 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$5.96
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
s4collage2_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
S6BK-48IN-38 6 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Length (hole center to hole center): 48 inch
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$8.68 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$8.68
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
S2RDREDBLACK_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
S2RD-36IN-56-38 2 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
mil_adpt_1_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
ADPT-MIL-PAIR Military Ordnance Style Battery Terminal Adapter - Top Post to Stud
Pair or Individual: Pair with POS & NEG​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$9.94 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$9.94
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
466N9-PR_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
466N9-PR Military Ordnance Style Battery Terminal Adapter Boot Covers
Single or Pair: Pair (Black & Red)​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$7.79 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$7.79
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]
222E3-PR_thumbnail.jpg
[/TD][TD valign="top"]
222E3V02 Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Medium 1/0 , 1, 2, 4 or 6 awg
Single or Pair: Red Single Boot​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$1.99 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$1.99
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

Battery Cables USA.com
A couple are a few inches long. I think i order the correct parts. $64 after shipping.

Order Summary

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S2BK-36IN-38 2 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$13.05 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S4RD-12IN-56-38 4 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Length (hole center to hole center): 12 inch
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$5.96 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$5.96
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S6BK-48IN-38 6 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
Length (hole center to hole center): 48 inch
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$8.68 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$8.68
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
S2RD-36IN-56-38 2 Gauge AWG Extreme Battery Cable with Ends
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$13.05 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$13.05
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
ADPT-MIL-PAIR Military Ordnance Style Battery Terminal Adapter - Top Post to Stud
Pair or Individual: Pair with POS & NEG​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$9.94 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$9.94
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
466N9-PR Military Ordnance Style Battery Terminal Adapter Boot Covers
Single or Pair: Pair (Black & Red)​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$7.79 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$7.79
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

[TD valign="top"] [/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
222E3V02 Lug & Ring Terminal Boot Covers Medium 1/0 , 1, 2, 4 or 6 awg
Single or Pair: Red Single Boot​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]

$1.99 x 1​
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
$1.99
[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]
[/TD]

Good online source for materials... thanks for the link.
I was lucky to find the parts locally and built them in a couple hours.

So the guy's that paid $150 or more for battery cables say they are the best battery cables they have ever owned, and probably so. But the rest of us are thinking "$150 for battery cables is just crazy" me included. They just don't need to be that robust with what little amperage is running through them, and we aren't talking running a winch, the biggest load is the starter motor for a few seconds. They are nice kits, but $150? :confused:

So the guy's that paid $150 or more for battery cables say they are the best battery cables they have ever owned, and probably so.

How is a battery cable the best you've ever owned? It's a friggin' battery cable.

As long as the wire is the right gauge and they were put together correctly, there's nothing else that matters.

Reactions: Zorba
So the guy's that paid $150 or more for battery cables say they are the best battery cables they have ever owned, and probably so. But the rest of us are thinking "$150 for battery cables is just crazy" me included. They just don't need to be that robust with what little amperage is running through them, and we aren't talking running a winch, the biggest load is the starter motor for a few seconds. They are nice kits, but $150? :confused:

Agree. But I will say, its a nice kit, it removes having to think, and its cleaner than my homemade option.

custombatterycables.com for me, too. I had blown the fusible link on my original set, and was rewiring a bunch of things under the hood anyway, so I just replaced the whole shooting match. The guy's pretty helpful with questions, and the cables seem beefy enough to easily support a higher amperage alternator down the road.

I used a kit and I agree they're expensive.

Before I had my TJ I used this website to get custom battery cables for a boat rewiring project. I was very happy with the product and the service/shipping.

https://gregsmarinewiresupply.com/Custom-Cables
Another note I would say is to be wary of the bolt on the engine block. In my 2006 it was very difficult to remove. YouTube makes it look like a snap but the lower bolt spun and spun for me. Had to hold an internal stud with a small socket and it was a three handed job in a hard to access spot.