Battery Tray Swap

OkieAggie

Above the dirt!
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Hey kids....has anyone swapped an 05-06 battery tray that uses the wedge into an 04 or earlier? Do the mount holes line up and does the wedge work with a group 34 battery? Also, if you're using a nicer J bolt tie down, what are you using? Thanks!

I'll bite...the brackets that bolt to the tub and then support the batter tray are the same for 97-2006 so im going to say the battery trays should interchange as well.

Hey kids....has anyone swapped an 05-06 battery tray that uses the wedge into an 04 or earlier? Do the mount holes line up and does the wedge work with a group 34 battery? Also, if you're using a nicer J bolt tie down, what are you using? Thanks!

We go the other way pretty often since the wedge clamp is pretty much a crap way to do it. But yes, they are forward and backward compatible and the TJ uses a group 34 regardless of year or body code.

We do it 3 ways, we either convert to the early hold down, leave it alone, or build our own. We build our own when we have to do a custom tray to lower the battery the 1/2" or so the stamped OEM tray raises it up. High line fenders don't always leave enough room for the battery so we need every fraction of an inch we can get. In those instances, having the J hooks anywhere is a problem.

Reactions: P man
Thanks, folks. I’ll look for a better hold down. The one I have stinks, pretty much.

I put a Trail-Gear single battery box in my 06, and also flipped the battery so that the negative post is on the fender side. It is solid and the steel top of the battery box gave me a place to mount the solenoid for my winch disconnect.

I put a Trail-Gear single battery box in my 06, and also flipped the battery so that the negative post is on the fender side. It is solid and the steel top of the battery box gave me a place to mount the solenoid for my winch disconnect.

Post a pic of you would. I’ve never liked the positive terminal out board.

I put a early style tray in my 05. The only issue I had was the j hook stud in the back was stabbing one of the wire bundles off the PCM. I just cut it down a bit and it is good.

Pics of the installation.

IMG_3078.jpeg

IMG_3077.jpeg

IMG_3076.jpeg

The solenoid is to disconnect the winch, and later wiring to the cargo area to a Hella plug for a fridge. I found this cool dash switch on Amazon to control the solenoid.

IMG_3083.jpeg

IMG_3081.jpeg