Be Careful

The two things that I think had the best influence on my driving capabilities were riding motorcycles on the street and riding motorcycles in the dirt. Riding on the street always required diligence with regards to situational awareness, and riding on the dirt taught me that traction varies and to pay attention to traction levels. Also, fast dirt riding requires split-second decision making, so it trained me to think more quickly.

Sadly, I no longer do either, but for different reasons. I quit street riding because smartphones pushed my comfort level over the edge (before smartphones, I felt like I had a target on me, and after that, I felt like I was a magnet for inattentive drivers). I quit dirt riding because decades of that activity wore out my joints.

Reactions: Zorba and ColoJeep
What behaviors were they trying to catch with that data? To me, minimal reversing indicates that they're skilled at avoiding cramped areas and finding good places to park but I wouldn't assume everybody thinks that way.

They had a behavior based safety program and believed that most (if not all) accidents were preventable. When leaving a parking spot by moving forward, the thought was it reduced the chance of a collision with pedestrians, vehicles or other objects because you have a greater field of vision moving forward. It was encouraged to find a "pull through" parking spot if possible to avoid reverse all together. If not, it was encouraged to find a spotter when you back into a spot. If a spotter wasn't possible, then get out and look (GOAL) before parking.

The goal was to achieve 0 recorded incidents every year. We achieved it a few times in my time there with well over a million miles logged each year on company vehicles.

I just recently had a minor collision in my 2005 wrangler after hydroplaning, this thing is my baby and only the fender and hood were damaged as far as the body goes, but the driver lower control arm mount bent badly and it won't be fixed for a while. But if theres any other dumbass teenagers on here, slow down it's not worth it. Any recommendations/advice for fender replacement would be amazing, this forums always helped me out more times than I can count so any advice is welcomed.

TJ will get away from you quick with big fat wide tires- There is a young man that drives one like a maniac and I saw him get nearly sideways in a crowded Bojangles parking lot-

I’ve had my Rubicon with 12.5’s get on top of the water-

Also did a complete 180 in the ice and slid out through somebody’s yard

My 1st driving job in my late teens was driving a '78 F-250 hauling duals for brake jobs. Huge, tall liftgate that I don't see anymore. Course, no one turning drums anymore. I was told early on, do not park where you had to back out of.

Forgot to add a pic of a little liftgate.
liftgate-tommygate-g2-0030.jpg

The two things that I think had the best influence on my driving capabilities were riding motorcycles on the street and riding motorcycles in the dirt. Riding on the street always required diligence with regards to situational awareness, and riding on the dirt taught me that traction varies and to pay attention to traction levels. Also, fast dirt riding requires split-second decision making, so it trained me to think more quickly.

Sadly, I no longer do either, but for different reasons. I quit street riding because smartphones pushed my comfort level over the edge (before smartphones, I felt like I had a target on me, and after that, I felt like I was a magnet for inattentive drivers). I quit dirt riding because decades of that activity wore out my joints.

I haven't ridden a motorbike in decades, street or dirt. But I quit street riding for exactly what you said: Felt like the invisible man with a target on me. I cannot imagine what its like now in the smartphone age.

• Wow
Reactions: RINC
I haven't ridden a motorbike in decades, street or dirt. But I quit street riding for exactly what you said: Felt like the invisible man with a target on me. I cannot imagine what its like now in the smartphone age.

The guys trying to weave in and out and go faster than traffic? Every time was never chargeable to me. Sorry Mr. Biker.

Reactions: Rickyd and Zorba

I agree. Every time we get ice/snow/rain I get the feeling that all the people driving at appropriate speeds have done some sort of motorsport that helped them get a feel for traction. Everybody else is either going way too fast or way too slow (i.e. there is snow/ice on the shoulder and they're still driving 25 on a clean and dry interstate or they slam on their brakes to slow down when they're already on an icy bridge, instead of slowing gradually before they get there).

Reactions: sab
You guys are wasting whiskey. Ice cubes and age is all I want for mine.

It depends on the whiskey. Cheap stuff ain't for sippin'. Good stuff, especially without the "e," is for sippin'. And I take mine neat, thank you very much!

Reactions: Shank and BlueC
TJ will get away from you quick with big fat wide tires- There is a young man that drives one like a maniac and I saw him get nearly sideways in a crowded Bojangles parking lot-

I’ve had my Rubicon with 12.5’s get on top of the water-

Also did a complete 180 in the ice and slid out through somebody’s yard
Thats exactly what happened, wet roads and sliding can get dangerous fast. Went nearly 180 and then back 180 the opposite direction into a small pole.

• Wow
Reactions: Zorba and BlueC
It depends on the whiskey. Cheap stuff ain't for sippin'. Good stuff, especially without the "e," is for sippin'. And I take mine neat, thank you very much!

Neat is the only way for good stuff. Cheap stuff does the bulk of the work.

Thats exactly what happened, wet roads and sliding can get dangerous fast. Went nearly 180 and then back 180 the opposite direction into a small pole.

If it makes you feel any better I hydroplaned today while going 20 under the speed limit. Just let off the gas and kept my steering wheel straight. I had this post in the back of my mind that whole drive up until then.

Reactions: Zorba
If it makes you feel any better I hydroplaned today while going 20 under the speed limit. Just let off the gas and kept my steering wheel straight. I had this post in the back of my mind that whole drive up until then.

I was going well under the speed limit, always catches you by suprise.

I was going well under the speed limit, always catches you by suprise.

I always had the opposite problem when I was younger. Posted limit x 2 was my issue. :rolleyes: Now I have a Jeep that lives on the posted limit. :LOL:

• USA Proud