Been recommended to use 20W-60 oil in my TJ

Fishtaco

TJ Expert
Penrite HPR 20w 60 Mineral oil in my 100,000K mile 4.0 by 3 source now what do you think?
Oil change is fast looming lol

Is 20w60 a motorcycle oil,? And what is the method to your madness for wanting to try such a heavy oil?

A HDEO like Rotella T6 15w40 synthetic would be my choice in that climate. 20w60 is pretty thick, I'd only use it in something with extreme oil temps like an air-cooled motorcycle in that climate or a track car.

20W may or may not be appropriate for your winter temps but why would 60 be the right choice for a liquid cooled engine that operates at 210F regardless of ambient temps?
It's hotter in South Texas than in Perth. Do not use 60W oil in your Jeep.

Lots of piss taking here! how many mechanics here or oil experts? the Penright HPR 20w 60 is a mineral oil for high mileage engines commonly use in Australia the 60 rating is upped from 40 to adjust for the high zinc content in the oil.
Just because somebody has never varied beyond recommended 10w-30 doesn't mean anything other than they stick to manufacturers recommendations! Anyone would think 20w-60 was as thick as Molasses or treacle judging some comments but difference couldnt even be told by a layman visual or touch test.
the mechanics I speak to shake their heads just as much at the forum concerns I bring up over using a heavier oil and that I must stick to 10w-30.

Penrite HPR 20w 60 Mineral oil in my 100,000K mile 4.0 by 3 source now what do you think?
Oil change is fast looming lol
I use this. ;)
snake_oil_.jpg

Reactions: Watcher412