Beginning of radiator failure?

superspook

Supporting Member
just did the cooling system overhaul, minus the radiator. the radiator had recently been replaced by PO so i figured it would be ok. well now i am chasing down a small leak and i find the pictured. hard to get a good picture but that is bottom rail of the radiator, looks like three to four of those channels are discolored (rust) and they seem to stay moist. I think i already know the answer but figured i would ask any way. Time for a new radiator?

radiator.png

Odds are the previous owner cheaped out and bought a store brand, internet brand, or maybe a Mishimoto POS. I'd replace it with a Mopar and just accept its better cooling and quality is going to cost more than something sold by Autozone or similar.

Reactions: CharlesHS
oh and i guess by your answer above, that was a yes to the question is this the beginning of radiator failure

Yes that Mopar site looks legit, a lot of Jeep/Chrysler dealerships open up websites like that.

Your radiator could be leaking, be sure it's not coming out from under that radiator cap. Is the cap screwed down all the way and not leaking?

If you'll add more detail to your Profile like what type of transmission your '04 has, manual or automatic, I can provide you with a Mopar radiator part number to look for.

Jerry, thanks for the advise on updating my profile. It only took me 15min to figure out how to do that. Automatic transmission...

Its a lot easier to diagnose cooling system leaks if you put a pressure tester on it and observe where coolant is leaking from.