Benefits of aluminum versus steel wheels? Also, opinions on these wheels?

I know Blaine recommends the 16" kit for 35" tires. I'm guessing you don't feel it needs that much braking?

Do you ever drive it in the mountains?
I'm unclear on what you're saying. I am running Blaine's Big Brake kit and I regularly drive it in the mountains towing my pop-up tent trailer.

Best looking wheel ever made:
00.png

Probably not particularly practical off road, but I always liked the spoked look steel wheels from the 30s.

Reactions: Ephry73
I’ve had both steel and aluminum and prefer aluminum. I’ve spent too much time beating my old steel wheels back into shape. Though I’m not a fan of fake beadlocks I like your 2nd choice best

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I thought Blaine had said somewhere that 15" bbk was for 33" tires and 16" bbk was for 35" tires. (The same way it's super 16" for 37" tires and 17" bbk for 40" tires.) Searching old threads I can't find that first part anywhere so maybe I'm mistaken.
I've known Blaine for 20 years, installed one of his very first BBK kits onto my first TJ with 35's, and installed another into my present TJ with 35's and I've never heard him say that. It does a magnificent job with my 35's even when going down mountain roads with my trailer pushing from behind.

Getting close to purchasing wheels and tires. Benefits of aluminum vs steel?? Any thoughts on the following?? (Sorry, wouldn’t let me past the actual pics)

First Choice: US Wheel Stealth
View attachment 132417

Second Choice:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/mammoth-8-anthracite-15x8-tj-j103779.html

Third Choice:
https://www.4wd.com/p/genuine-packages-15-inch-wheel-and-tire-packages/prod1160030
What did you end up going with? I was looking at the mammoth wheels in black with silver, but I was not sure I wanted to order from extreme terrain. I have heard people had bad experiences, plus they don't have the ko2's in 33x12.5 that I want and I don't want to order them separately and have to pay to mount and balance them

Reactions: Ephry73
I like both but on a daily driver in salt country I prefer steel after needing a 5# sledge to break loose alloy rims in Alberta. It was pretty common for alloy wheels to "bond" to the hub after a season of salted Alberta winter roads. Never happens with steel rims.
Coat of anti-seize on the hub contact areas helps

Just bought my first set of aluminum wheels for any of the various jeeps I have owned. Hope they hold up. They look better.

I've known Blaine for 20 years, installed one of his very first BBK kits onto my first TJ with 35's, and installed another into my present TJ with 35's and I've never heard him say that. It does a magnificent job with my 35's even when going down mountain roads with my trailer pushing from behind.
That reminds me, Jerry
Is it safe to assume you have the 15" BBK for your 15" walker evans? If that's true, do you have any clearance issues with the inner wheel weights and the caliper?

That reminds me, Jerry
Is it safe to assume you have the 15" BBK for your 15" walker evans? If that's true, do you have any clearance issues with the inner wheel weights and the caliper?
It's tight but ok. At first I didn't think I had quite enough clearance so I installed a thin 1/8" spacer but later removed it.

It's tight but ok. At first I didn't think I had quite enough clearance so I installed a thin 1/8" spacer but later removed it.
That's good to know. I don't have the beadlocks, but do have walkers and I eventually would like to upgrade the brakes but dunno about the weights. figured your 15" WE wheels would be really similar if not the same as mine, relative to the brakes. Thanks Jerry (y)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
What did you end up going with? I was looking at the mammoth wheels in black with silver, but I was not sure I wanted to order from extreme terrain. I have heard people had bad experiences, plus they don't have the ko2's in 33x12.5 that I want and I don't want to order them separately and have to pay to mount and balance them
I ordered some wheels and tires, mounted and balanced, from trailbuiltoffroad.com with great experience and a price that was competitive. They are worth a look.