Benefits of winch controller relocation?

Moving the solenoids/contactor under the hood might clean up the looks of winch and bumper. That is why I did it a long time ago. Mine lives near the factory relays.
This is my primary reason for considering moving mine. I like the idea of exposing more of the seven slots, along with the balanced symmetry. @MountaineerTom moved his and I like the look.

img_2737-jpg.jpg

On my secomd one of these replaced under warranty. Failed after 6 months. Not saying this is a pervasive issue, but dont count on it when you need it. Always keep the wired controller with you just in case. It is convenient though.
No wired option for the Warn Zeon Platinum's

• Sad
Reactions: taylormade73
This is my primary reason for considering moving mine. I like the idea of exposing more of the seven slots, along with the balanced symmetry. @MountaineerTom moved his and I like the look.

View attachment 297680
Yes, a cleaner look was the main reason I moved mine. I’ve been happy with it.

Reactions: MikeE024 and Irun
Indeed. But I guess it's easier to have to use less of these thick wires that the winch requires and safer to have it protected under the hood. In my case, I have the control box tied to one of this longitudinal rods that run under the TJ's hood. This way I think it's better protected from water crossings. Can post a pic tomorrow.

@Andymc79 A couple of pics of how it has been mounted under the hood.

IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

Reactions: MikeE024 and L J
It is custom made from aluminium painted black and is indeed mounted below the A/C controls where the stock switches originally were. I had searched a lot to find a bolt on solution for what I wanted but none of the ready to be installed products online fitted my needs. Essentially, it's a combination of various designs I have seen tailored-made to what I wanted. Can revert with a close-up pic of the panel installed.

Here is the pic of how it looks installed.

IMG_2121 2.jpg

After giving it some though and considering that none of the bolt on panels I could get my hands on didn't really fit my needs or liked the way it looked, I took the decision to create a panel from scratch.

My decision to go with a soft top justified the idea of deleting the rear defroster and rear wiper switches (which I didn't use a lot even when the hard top was on the Jeep). It was hard top jeep from factory so all the necessary wiring has been kept in place in case I want to install a HT again in the future.

Same goes with the overdrive switch which throughout the years I have been driving the TJ, I felt almost never the need to switch off (no towing needed/intended with the TJ).

Finally, with the power plug being used in the majority of cases with a USB adapter on and as a charge point for phones, losing one of the two was not issue for me (or least I though so, we''ll see...). To note that I kept the power outlet on the right that provides power even when the engine is shut off since it could be proved useful to keep charge a phone while breifly stepping off the Jeep or keeping a cooler plugged in in a trip.

As a result, and taking under serious consideration my OCD telling me to do something clean and neat :rolleyes: I created this off road dedicated switch panel. Is it based on the frame that was there from the factory on which a 2-step aluminium plate has been welded.

Although initially I was thinking of angling the surface and do not brake it in two steps, I though that (1) visibility of the switches and (2) interference with the auto trans T-handle could cause issues.

Thus, I broke it down to a two step with the first one being the main where all the switches and the plug are mounted while the lower part sits more close to the console to make room for easy operation of the shifter. Indeed not interference issues at all as seen in the below pic! :)

IMG_2122 2.jpg

The final design was mine after taking ideas from various panels I had come across through the years, but since I have no welding skills at all, everything was taken care by a friend who is a carpenter but loves working on cars and metals. ;)

The switches and frames on which are mounted come from here: https://www.otrattw.net

Reactions: UKTJ
That's really clean and neat! I'm in the same boat, it was wired for the hardtop but I purchased it with only a soft top. I don't have the OD switch to deal with but do have the factory locker switch as of now. This gives me an idea to work towards.

That's really clean and neat! I'm in the same boat, it was wired for the hardtop but I purchased it with only a soft top. I don't have the OD switch to deal with but do have the factory locker switch as of now. This gives me an idea to work towards.

Let me know if you want me to measure something for you in case you move forward with something similar. What you could (maybe) do is ditch the switch frames and install the switches directly on the plate. Not sure if possible, but maybe you could manage to fit a 6th one in case you want.

Let me know if you want me to measure something for you in case you move forward with something similar. What you could (maybe) do is ditch the switch frames and install the switches directly on the plate. Not sure if possible, but maybe you could manage to fit a 6th one in case you want.
Auto einai polu oraia! That's just damn fine work. I too replaced the switched power outlet with a USB to charge a pair of walkie-talkies that live in the center console. If I need to charge my phone - I have a USB cord dedicated for that purpose inside the glove box. Sees occasional use, although I only charge the thing once a week or so...

Reactions: Kon
This was on my CJ, the "winch power" led flashed if it was on. The I/O switch was mom-off-mom and the led lit when actuated. The top power port is a 12v receptacle and the bottom is a double USB smart plug. I still have the dwg drawings if anyone wanted them, best on a flat dash obviously:

IMG_2821_zpsyemwlvbh.jpg

This is on my TJ, same leds and actions, but i bought it from 12vunlimited. It is hard to get a good pic when the lights are on but they look just right at night.

IMG_2302_zpsssje4dgg.jpg

I like the idea of reducing the length of hot, unprotected wire in favor of wire that's only hot when the winch is spooling.

Reactions: Zorba
I run the controller in the engine bay for the same reasons - looks and airflow. I personally think it looks cleaner on my rig. On the airflow I'm not sure it makes much difference, but this thing puts out some heat and every little bit helps.

IMG_9932.JPG

When I installed the in-cab controller, I had the same thought that Jerry mentioned - it didn't want to have to be reaching for the dash to use it, especially on a nasty climb. I located it on the console. I can lay my arm on the arm rest and my hand drops right to it. Having used it many times in some crazy nasty situations, I'm glad it's there.

IMG_9931.JPG

I run the controller in the engine bay for the same reasons - looks and airflow. I personally think it looks cleaner on my rig. On the airflow I'm not sure it makes much difference, but this thing puts out some heat and every little bit helps.

View attachment 300003

When I installed the in-cab controller, I had the same thought that Jerry mentioned - it didn't want to have to be reaching for the dash to use it, especially on a nasty climb. I located it on the console. I can lay my arm on the arm rest and my hand drops right to it. Having used it many times in some crazy nasty situations, I'm glad it's there.

View attachment 300004
That’s a good location!! Noted for next build. Lol.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ