Benefits of winch controller relocation?

d-cannon

Reformed JKUR, FJ40 80 100, 4Rnr, and Bronco owner
Supporting Member
I’ve seen a lot of winches with the controller relocated to the engine bay. Other than looks and maybe air flow, what are the benefits of doing this? I’m picking up a Zeon 10s today (hopefully). As that winch has pretty good water resistance, I am wondering if there is some benefit to relocation that I am missing. TIA

I can see at least a couple good reasons to relocate the contactor. First, to clean up the looks. Second, to make it easier/safer to use, by adding an interior winch control switch in the cab. From an airflow perspective there is no major advantage. Any gains there would be minimal.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I can see at least a couple good reasons to relocate the contactor. First, to clean up the looks. Second, to make it easier/safer to use, by adding an interior winch control switch in the cab. From an airflow perspective there is no major advantage. Any gains there would be minimal.

These two are exactly the same reasons I have relocated mine under the hood. Personally I disliked the view of the box hanging on top of the winch on on side and secondly I have constructed a panel that includes all off road related switches including a winch power switch and an in-out switch.

These two are exactly the same reasons I have relocated mine under the hood. Personally I disliked the view of the box hanging on top of the winch on on side and secondly I have constructed a panel that includes all off road related switches including a winch power switch and an in-out switch.
Having had to dig out my winch controller more times than I'd like to think about, relocating my contactor under the hood, and adding a switch, is on my to-do list!

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Here is the custom made switch panel I was referring to btw.

F9C0D242-D1D1-4161-A99C-BCAB3E55FB62.jpeg

Having had my jeep in quite a few precarious situations, I find it beneficial to have easy access to the controls in the cab and outside of the cab. So if you do relocate the controller box to under the hood I would make sure you can still easily get access to it to hook up the controller (or have a good wireless controller). I added in-cab controls but I also carry my plug in remote and the plug in controls have come in quite handy on quite a few tasks including fixing bent things (on my rig and on others), rolling myself back over, doing some honey do's around the house, etc.... If you don't add in-cab controls, having the remote controller handy (and even plugged in) prior to needing it, is very beneficial. Nothing like being in that vertical or sideways position and the remote being in the bottom of the center console, or worse yet in your recovery bag in the back.

Uh guys - you don't have to relocate the control box to add in-cab switches.

Indeed. But I guess it's easier to have to use less of these thick wires that the winch requires and safer to have it protected under the hood. In my case, I have the control box tied to one of this longitudinal rods that run under the TJ's hood. This way I think it's better protected from water crossings. Can post a pic tomorrow.

Reactions: Zorba
@Kon is that a panel you printed or purchased? I'm assuming it goes below the hvac controls?

It is custom made from aluminium painted black and is indeed mounted below the A/C controls where the stock switches originally were. I had searched a lot to find a bolt on solution for what I wanted but none of the ready to be installed products online fitted my needs. Essentially, it's a combination of various designs I have seen tailored-made to what I wanted. Can revert with a close-up pic of the panel installed.

I have never seen the benefit of moving the solenoid or contactor box into the engine bay which then proceeds to bake everything inside it continually. And the contactor/relays inside are sealed so rain water isn't going to affect them.

For the control switch, I mounted a remote winch switch onto my dash in my previous TJ but having to hold my arm out continually while operating the switch was nothing I cared to continue with on my second Jeep after that Jeep was stolen. Instead I use the standard Warn remote control and simply run its wiring behind the radiator grill and around the driver's side mirror and lay the hand control on top of the dash. When I need to use it it's far more convenient to grab it and then hold the control in my hand than it was when I had the switch I added mounted on the dash.

This is how I did it on my last TJ and I wouldn't put a switch on the dash again like I did then.

Shiftknob.jpg

I moved mine because on the Zeon with the controller installed in the stock location it makes it hard to get to the rope if there is any problems or if it binds up. Oh and I think to looks cleaner

Reactions: DrDmoney and L J
I have never seen the benefit of moving the solenoid or contactor box into the engine bay which then proceeds to bake everything inside it continually.
Is that really a concern when every underhood OEM electrical component seems to live just fine while being continually baked?

Reactions: DrDmoney and jjvw
I have never seen the benefit of moving the solenoid or contactor box into the engine bay which then proceeds to bake everything inside it continually. And the contactor/relays inside are sealed so rain water isn't going to affect them.

For the control switch, I mounted a remote winch switch onto my dash in my previous TJ but having to hold my arm out continually while operating the switch was nothing I cared to continue with on my second Jeep after that Jeep was stolen. Instead I use the standard Warn remote control and simply run its wiring behind the radiator grill and around the driver's side mirror and lay the hand control on top of the dash. When I need to use it it's far more convenient to grab it and then hold the control in my hand than it was when I had the switch I added mounted on the dash.

This is how I did it on my last TJ and I wouldn't put a switch on the dash again like I did then.

View attachment 297581
I do the same but I feed mine under the side hood of hold down brackets to help keep it tight

This reminded me that when I bought the Warn 9.5XP, one of these was in the box!
View attachment 297679
On my secomd one of these replaced under warranty. Failed after 6 months. Not saying this is a pervasive issue, but dont count on it when you need it. Always keep the wired controller with you just in case. It is convenient though.

I had the same concern about subjecting the contactor to heat in the engine bay, so I contacted Warn. Paraphrasing their words, moving it there isn't a known issue and the electrical components are covered under a 7 year warranty. That said, I haven't moved mine largely due to one line in their warranty:

"Components damaged by accident, abuse, misuse, collision, overloading, modification, misapplication, improper installation, or improper service."

I know Warn is a solid company to deal with, but it seems like this is a legal way out. I doubt they would use "improper installation" though, unless you were a repeat problem.

Hiding the controller under the hood would be really inconvenient. Moving the solenoids/contactor under the hood might clean up the looks of winch and bumper. That is why I did it a long time ago. Mine lives near the factory relays.

Reactions: L J and Irun
On my secomd one of these replaced under warranty. Failed after 6 months. Not saying this is a pervasive issue, but dont count on it when you need it. Always keep the wired controller with you just in case. It is convenient though.
I carry a recovery bag and the wired controller is always in it! (y)