Best brakes when Black Magic is totally not in the budget?

I’ve never noticed anything abnormal dust wise from mine

I think its a combination for me. The idiots around me require good brakes but I also drive 75+ on the highways and Im used to late, heavy braking from my other cars. Thats what I love about the BMB pads, they operate where Im comfortable which is hard to find. No secret here, I drive rather aggressively in anything I drive. My 227k Jeep gets a workout every time Im behind the wheel, brakes especially. They don't dust a lot but more so than any garbage pad Ive used previously. Still nothing like the dust on the M6. Wheels are black in 2/3 days

Reactions: L J
My dad also taught me to downshift going into stops. He never rev matched, just down a gear and clutch out. 189k miles out of the original clutch and it wasn’t even shot when it got pulled (was doing transmission work so it got swapped). Downshifted into every single stop. There are valid arguments for not downshifting, clutch wear is not one.

I’ve found problems with keeping my black magic pads in good working condition around the city even without downshifting. If you are not in a city, they might be easier to keep in shape. They certainly are not the best pads for every driving style. But when you need to stop, they stop well.

One could argue that downshifting without rev matching is tough on a transmission, which might require it needing replacement at 189k. I don't mean to necessarily suggest that is why you needed transmission work, so feel free to tell me I'm an ignorant idiot :) You're absolutely right that TJ clutches are very durable. My TJ spent its early life in a major city, meaning lots of slipping the clutch in traffic, and it's doing just fine at 104k.

I think the general point is that frequent downshifting creates unnecessary wear on the driveline.

I think its a combination for me. The idiots around me require good brakes but I also drive 75+ on the highways and Im used to late, heavy braking from my other cars. Thats what I love about the BMB pads, they operate where Im comfortable which is hard to find. No secret here, I drive rather aggressively in anything I drive. My 227k Jeep gets a workout every time Im behind the wheel, brakes especially. They don't dust a lot but more so than any garbage pad Ive used previously. Still nothing like the dust on the M6. Wheels are black in 2/3 days
I’ll admit I drive very spirited in my vehicles. Pretty much like I stole them.

Reactions: AndrewLJR
One could argue that downshifting without rev matching is tough on a transmission, which might require it needing replacement at 189k. I don't mean to necessarily suggest that is why you needed transmission work, so feel free to tell me I'm an ignorant idiot :) You're absolutely right that TJ clutches are very durable. My TJ spent its early life in a major city, meaning lots of slipping the clutch in traffic, and it's doing just fine at 104k.

I think the general point is that frequent downshifting creates unnecessary wear on the driveline.

My transmission was fine at 189k. I don't remember too much, but I believe I blew a clutch line which caused us to take a closer look at the whole system. My transmission was eventually replaced at 225k due to the synchros, but that is because I used to 4low bang shift it out in the mud during high school. The transmission shifted just as good as my rebuilt one does when I first starting driving it at 172k or so. Took me a year of fun out in the mud every weekend to blow through the 200k+ mile synchros.

I'm only of the few people to have a high mileage one owner TJ at this point. I don't see any evidence that downshifting into a stop has caused any wear, especially on the clutch.

Reactions: bromel
Engine and Transmission are designed to make the vehicle go.
Brakes are designed to make the vehicle stop.
But I basically quit downshifting because I am lazy.
The ONLY time I even think about it is when I'm pulling my 15,000lb 5th wheel