Best inside-the-tub rear rack?

STW

what's your favorite rack for installing inside a TJ tub to double floor space storage? (assuming back seat is not installed)

Best would be a lightweight rack that can be easily removed. Doesn't have to carry masses of weight, just add good storage above the floor so it's like having two floors of storage for camping. Height at the top of the wheel wells should be easy. --thanks!

B2ABC6D2-53BC-4E6D-9EA8-6498EC8D7EFA.jpeg

Folds up and can be placed beneath my rear seat no issues.

Got this idea off YouTube. Works well!

Reactions: D M
I was busy looking for the spare tyre relocation rack to inside the tub in Craigslist.

I guess you don't carry much in the rear cargo area? It's so small as is .. Can't imagine putting the spare inside the vehicle.

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks for the ideas. This this shelf would be inside a hardtop the Kilby steel rack would be overkill, but it's exactly right for riding in the open air--good setup Ken!
The plastic BestTop rack is also a good one, thanks for posting, but you're right that it's expensive for what it is. Also it's not wide enough to just sit right across the wheel wells.
In looking at ideas posted here, it looks like a home made rack might be a good idea for me too. The wheel well height is probably too low to put a Rubbermaid storage box under. Maybe I should put a shelf at top-of-tub height, and maybe it's ok to use the hardtop bolts to the tub flange to hold a couple lengths of aluminum angle"iron" across the width of the tub(?). Then I could bolt some aluminum or steel mesh to those aluminum cross bars, and have a shelf at a good height for separating under shelf storage and then stack other bags or stuff on top of the shelf.

I guess you don't carry much in the rear cargo area? It's so small as is .. Can't imagine putting the spare inside the vehicle.
A lot of folk carry the spare in the tub in the desert southwest. You center a 35" and pack everything around and overtop of it. A rack makes it easy to carry stuff on top of the tire as well (that's what I think @starkey480 is doing with the BestTop rack I sold him).

Reactions: starkey480 and RINC
Thanks for the ideas. This this shelf would be inside a hardtop the Kilby steel rack would be overkill, but it's exactly right for riding in the open air--good setup Ken!
The plastic BestTop rack is also a good one, thanks for posting, but you're right that it's expensive for what it is. Also it's not wide enough to just sit right across the wheel wells.
In looking at ideas posted here, it looks like a home made rack might be a good idea for me too. The wheel well height is probably too low to put a Rubbermaid storage box under. Maybe I should put a shelf at top-of-tub height, and maybe it's ok to use the hardtop bolts to the tub flange to hold a couple lengths of aluminum angle"iron" across the width of the tub(?). Then I could bolt some aluminum or steel mesh to those aluminum cross bars, and have a shelf at a good height for separating under shelf storage and then stack other bags or stuff on top of the shelf.
If your hardtop is on you can span the entire width above the arches with a piece of carpeted ply, that's what I have done, I can fit 2 pelican cases underneath cost less than $10, I made it narrower so it slides forward to the seats or back to the roll bar, it was just temporary to begin with but I have not bothered changing it because it works so well. The 50mm pvc pipe is angled back and makes a cheap slide for the cases that clears the rear seat brackets and seatbelt bracket.

rear t01.jpg

reart02.jpg

Reactions: John Cooper
If your hardtop is on you can span the entire width above the arches with a piece of carpeted ply, that's what I have done, I can fit 2 pelican cases underneath cost less than $10, I made it narrower so it slides forward to the seats or back to the roll bar, it was just temporary to begin with but I have not bothered changing it because it works so well. The 50mm pvc pipe is angled back and makes a cheap slide for the cases that clears the rear seat brackets and seatbelt bracket.

View attachment 286492

View attachment 286493
And it's blue!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Fishtaco

View attachment 286492

View attachment 286493
I think yellow would pop better and give you a better shot at ride of the month!!!!

A lot of folk carry the spare in the tub in the desert southwest. You center a 35" and pack everything around and overtop of it. A rack makes it easy to carry stuff on top of the tire as well (that's what I think @starkey480 is doing with the BestTop rack I sold him).
Yeah I use that bestop universal tray on top of my spare tire. I just have it strapped down in a few spots and it works great for me. I even packed to go camping in Moab with my wife with that setup.