Best muffler for a quiet rumble

LittleTankTJ

TJ Euthanist
Lifetime Supporting Member
My 97s exhaust is becoming swiss cheese. I'll be heading to an exhaust shop soon to have the whole system replaced south of the manifold.

I also remember another user having a eurocar flex pipe put on part to help with the manifold breaking every few years.

But what I really am asking is what is the best quiet muffler? I'm done with a loud exhaust and really want something quiet. I take long trips in my Jeep (500+ miles).

What's your favorite muffler that's quiet on the road bust still has a nice rumble for videos?

I've got a thrush hush and I love the sound it makes. Though acceleration (2k+ rpm) the engine roars louder than the exhaust. Under 2k it rumbles around like you want. In a classy way. Really fun to hear with the top down. Real hard to hear with the hardtop on.

I had a MBRP on my 04 and loved the sound. It had a nice low rumble to it and wasn't annoying. I plan on eventually putting one on my LJR.

Definitely add in a flex coupler to prevent the manifold from cracking, it really helps on the 97-99 4.0L engines.

41OziAyov3L._AC_SS350_.jpg

As far as exhaust, a larger Magnaflow muffler has a deep rumble without being too loud. The Thrush Hush muffler mentioned above is a turbo style muffler. Dynomax makes a "super turbo" catback kit for the TJ that will sound very similar. I had that kit on my XJ and it was nice and tame, a bit deeper than stock with a nice idle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00104H2YC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

We have the MBRP with the immediate turndown right after the muffler and it sounds perfect. I've had questions about the smell of the exhaust and it's non-existent while you're driving. Upon startup in the garage, it may be a bit more prevalent but just back out right away and it's a non-issue. No hassle running exhaust over the axle too.

We have the MBRP with the immediate turndown right after the muffler and it sounds perfect. I've had questions about the smell of the exhaust and it's non-existent while you're driving. Upon startup in the garage, it may be a bit more prevalent but just back out right away and it's a non-issue. No hassle running exhaust over the axle too.
I loved the sound of my MBRP. It wasn't to loud, just had a deeper tone to it.

Reactions: 04solartj
x2, I love the low hum of that thing, purrs on the highway & when crawling sounds really cool, I caught it on tape once, you can really hear it around the 30 second mark:

I love that you said you "caught it on tape". 😆 I catch myself saying the same thing from time to time. Guess we're showing our age when we remember media that consisted of actual "tape" ?

I have the Walker super turbo mentioned above and really like it. Not too loud but gives a decent rumble.

I love that you said you "caught it on tape". 😆 I catch myself saying the same thing from time to time. Guess we're showing our age when we remember media that consisted of actual "tape" ?
Ferget it. You guys are a bunch of newborn Millennials. Come back when you're all growed up and catch something on FILM! ;) :D *JOKE*

• Haha
Reactions: D M
Checking the tape is like hanging up the phone. When's the last time you actually hung a phone?

Thanks for you input everyone! I'll look into each you've suggested and talk with the shop. They likely have a discount/kickback at one of the companies that would make this mutually beneficial.

Tell me more about this flex coupler. Where does this go in the exhaust system? I have a 1998 model, and I am on my third exhaust manifold.
I'm planning to have it put after the exhaust wraps around the passenger side this let's the cat/muffler pretty much mount to the frame and allows the engine to move on the engine mounts a bit.

Tell me more about this flex coupler. Where does this go in the exhaust system? I have a 1998 model, and I am on my third exhaust manifold.

The best place is somewhere in the down pipe between the manifold and the cat converter. I have a new manifold and flex coupler waiting to go on mine, and I'll put it right in front on the piece that snakes around the oil pan.

Thrush welded, quiet on the trail yet people at the campground asked what V8 I had in my Jeep.