Best paint for Rubicon fender flares?

dale5150

TJ Enthusiast
I am going to restore my flares and am thinking for some reason the rubicon flares look glossier than the standard flares. What is the best thing to make them look like they did when new? Also what is the best filler for deeper imperfections that are too deep to sand out?

I can't say what the best route would be, but I recently painted mine with SEM Hot Rod Black. It's a three-part mix of paint, reducer, and hardener.

https://www.semproducts.com/product/hot-rod-black-kit/kit
As far as the factory look, I had the same thinking as you. With there being so many variations of black paint out there, and limited black colors used by most, it's been tough to pinpoint the closest match.

Here's mine with the hot rod black. I sprayed it in such a way to try getting a semi gloss. The downside to this paint is that it doesn't come in a rattle can. But, by it being a HVLP spraying process, it gives you freedom to make it have a flatter finish, without losing longevity like you would with rattle can paint.
IMG_20200513_111037924_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200520_114626287_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Come to think of it, I believe @Chris said that he found Landau black to be a great match.

Am I remembering that right, Chris?

SEM Landau Black is IMHO the closest match you can get to the stock fender flares, yes. Also use some SEM low luster clear coat over the top of it as well. The end result will look like brand new.
I can say that the deep black color of this SEM Hot Rod Black and the Rust-Oleum black is/was a darker black than what I see in old pictures with my unfaded flares, so I can see how Landau would fit the need.

Reactions: Chris
I am going to be refinishing a set of older Rubicon flares. I will be filling and sanding some gouges and then going to use SEM Landau with a Low Luster finish. I might also try some Krylon Semi-Flat for comparison. I also have some brand new Rubicon flares which I’ll post some colour comparison pictures.

E9ECCD74-C49E-446D-AEB4-D4078AD92B2C.jpeg

Reactions: bedhed
It looks like the originals werent totally black but more of a greyish black. That is what I am trying to figure out. Thanks for the replies!

I am going to be refinishing a set of older Rubicon flares. I will be filling and sanding some gouges and then going to use SEM Landau with a Low Luster finish. I might also try some Krylon Semi-Flat for comparison. I also have some brand new Rubicon flares which I’ll post some colour comparison pictures.

View attachment 162945
Does that mean you have an extra set? I've been looking for two months with no success. Would you like to sell them?

SEM Landau Black is IMHO the closest match you can get to the stock fender flares, yes. Also use some SEM low luster clear coat over the top of it as well. The end result will look like brand new.
How many cans of SEM Landau and low luster would you recommend for all 4 fenders and the sway bar cover? May paint up the flares this month while the LJ is in the body shop

How many cans of SEM Landau and low luster would you recommend for all 4 fenders and the sway bar cover? May paint up the flares this month while the LJ is in the body shop

8 of the paint and 6 of the clear coat. This is accounting for multiple coats.

Reactions: THEREALJIM

View attachment 162945
@LJGreg how did the Landau compare to the new flares?

I've got a set of Sahara black (rear only) flares. They're in really good condition. Should I sand them completely down, or just scuff? Wanting the Rubicon finish.

The goal is to have a nice (complete) set to put on after I'm done with wheeling it. Too late to save the originals.

Last edited: