best shock replacement for a 4" rough country lift kit.

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey, I may be replacing the shocks that came with my Rough country 4" lift kit on my 97 jeep tj with 33s
if you were replacing shocks what shock would you consider the best ??

Ha nearly any shock would be a major improvement over the Skyjacker shocks. I've run more expensive shocks like the OME (Old Man Emu) Nitrochargers but I have to say my current fairly inexpensive Rancho gas RS5000X shocks (about $50-55) are impressive. Good ride on the highway and very impressive control offroad. Even when driving at a fast clip on the whoops and washboard roads the ride is very controlled and comfortable.

Two shocks ago I ran Rubicon Express gas Monotubes and while they had a good highway ride they absolutely sucked offroad. I'd have to slow down to 15-20 mph on trails others were taking at 45-50 mph. Which my present RS5000X shocks let me do.

Don't confuse the RS5000X with the horrific hydraulic RS5000 which is more like your Skyjacker in terms of ride.

The RS9000XL is a good shock too but it's a lot more expensive. I ran the RS9000 years ago. Its benefit is adjustability but I found that to be a distraction. I always felt the nagging need to adjust them when trail conditions changed or when changing between the trail and highway.

Last edited:
No problem. To tell you the truth, I replaced the Rancho RS5000X shocks I was running on my Rubicon recently with the OME, and I really can't tell the difference so far.
Bet you could tell the difference when you looked at both receipts :D

we live on a rather rough kinda paved road, and when i go over them with the rough country well it feels mighty rough, kind like my teeth are falling out. ha. will the Ranchos improve that.

Bet you could tell the difference when you looked at both receipts :D
True. I thought the OME shocks, seeing as they came with their lift kit, would make a big difference...not so much. I was able to recoup part of the Rancho cost, though, sold them to a forum member.

No problem. To tell you the truth, I replaced the Rancho RS5000X shocks I was running on my Rubicon recently with the OME, and I really can't tell the difference so far.
Same here. I ran the OME for years but they finally wore out so I ended up with the RS5000X. I expected to miss the far more expensive OMEs but I really didn't notice any difference at all. Both are superb in my opinion but the RS5000X is substantially less costly.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
we live on a rather rough kinda paved road, and when i go over them with the rough country well it feels mighty rough, kind like my teeth are falling out. ha. will the Ranchos improve that.
The RS5000X should make a nice ride improvement for you. What size tires and exactly what air pressure is in them?

33 x 12.5 x 15 about 33lbs A/Ts
BIG correction i checked this morning and im at 24 psi. for my jeep. my Truck is at 33psi. my bad.

Last edited:
i guess ya know when the shocks are going bad when ya hit a bump and keep on bouncing.?? but man when you hit a bump with my current shocks its like a log wagon. it hits hard and sticks.

Reactions: Chris