Best speedometer fix for Rubicons in 2024?

Another speedo healer here. Have one of those flashing speed signs by me, made it super easy to dial in. Also learned at 10 over sign just flashes SLOW DOWN. Anyone figuring out MPG is sick. I tracked cost of all my Jeep purchases at one point. Was just making me said so I threw out list and bought more parts... back to happy

Dang, using the slow down speed sign to dial in, that’s funny.

I got a SpeedoHealer with my SS SYE, and it’s spot on. I made a copy of the instructions and put it in the glove box, just in case ha.

I also put wire loom on mine just in case. I read Blaine saying the SH was stupid to program, 100% accurate, ha. But I set it and left it.

I used the Waze App, it’s very good at showing the speed, and my Trail Dash. I can say, with the Trail Dash exact OBD speed, if you’re looking at the speedometer needle in the dash, it’s not super accurate anyway. Just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: inkedrose
Speedohealer. Dumb to program. I’ve done it several times as I went up in tire size. Works good once programmed. Instructions are on the internet.

Reactions: inkedrose
Can confirm.

I've got a renewed "justification" for my sickness since significantly raising my 3-4 and 4-3 shift points (based on throttle %) and seeing my MPGs increase.

I'm now using a schedule that plays really well with the turbo by keeping me in 3 unless I'm basically off the throttle in town or going around 60+mph. In town, 4 smoothly kicks to 3 by barely pressing the throttle, yet holds boost in 4 at highway speeds like it should.

But, I'd still be checking my mpg regardless...I have specific pumps I prefer to go to for repeatability. It's fun for me...and I'm an idiot.

Back in the 90s one of the big car enthusiast mags did some testing and found they got the best mpg by shifting at lower rpm but larger throttle openings to minimize time spent accelerating - so it was better to accel at 1/2-3/4 throttle and shift at 3k than to accel at 1/3 throttle. I found that fascinating and more appealing as a 16 year old who was always looking for an excuse to go fast. And I suspect still counterintuitive to the average hypermiler.

Speedohealer here. I determined my percentage by going to a flat portion of interstate, setting cruise for 70mph and logging data of OBD2 speed and GPS speed for a couple of minutes using Torque app. Took it home, put the log in excel, tossed out any data at the beginning of the run that looked like the gps hadn't stabilized, and took the average gps vs OBD2 discrepancy for what was left. A couple minutes more effort than most do but it's dead nuts on.

Back in the 90s one of the big car enthusiast mags did some testing . . . .

This made me laugh.

I worked as a photographer for Peterson Publishing in the early '70s (Hot Rod, Motor Trend, etc.) and was involved in a lot of "testing." None of us had any clue what we were doing, but we had fun doing it. It was a great gig with the bonus that I had a different exotic car in my driveway every weekend. So did one of my roomates who also worked for Bob Peterson. Our neighbors didn't believe that we were affiliated with car magazines; they thought the cars were evidence that we were drug dealers.

It all came to an end the Thursday afternoon I managed to put a prototype Pontiac Grand Am into the wall at the now defunct Riverside Raceway only minutes after one of us totalled a high horsepower Camaro. The manufacturer's reps were not pleased. Many heads rolled that day.

This made me laugh.

I worked as a photographer for Peterson Publishing in the early '70s (Hot Rod, Motor Trend, etc.) and was involved in a lot of "testing." None of us had any clue what we were doing, but we had fun doing it. It was a great gig with the bonus that I had a different exotic car in my driveway every weekend. So did one of my roomates who also worked for Bob Peterson. Our neighbors didn't believe that we were affiliated with car magazines; they thought the cars were evidence that we were drug dealers.

It all came to an end the Thursday afternoon I managed to put a prototype Pontiac Grand Am into the wall at the now defunct Riverside Raceway only minutes after one of us totalled a high horsepower Camaro. The manufacturer's reps were not pleased. Many heads rolled that day.

Good stories never come from good decisions. Losing that job is a great story hahah

• Haha
Reactions: MikeE024
This made me laugh.

Makes me think of the videos where they had a motorcycle race a baseball pitcher's throw to gauge the speed of the pitcher. Crazy, ha.

I am in the SpeedoDRD - J1 camp. Works great, dead simple to install and easy to change. They even give you a website you plug in what the GPS says, what your speedo says and it prints out the exact steps you need to set the calibration, and it is tiny.

Reactions: PRNDL