Best tie down for towing? (not serious)

DaveF

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Saw this tie down method on a FaceSmack for sale ad today... I mean... wow.

_nc_ohc=u2pvMcrvwe4AX8VJzKz&_nc_ht=scontent-lga3-2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and lBasket
Saw this tie down method on a FaceSmack for sale ad today... I mean... wow.

View attachment 423409

As someone that's never really towed but might be soon... What's wrong here and what would've been right?

When I towed my MR2 to my new house (granted it's ~1500lbs without drivetrain) all I really had were tire straps like that on the uhaul trailer

Reactions: sideproject
As someone that's never really towed but might be soon... What's wrong here and what would've been right?

When I towed my MR2 to my new house (granted it's ~1500lbs without drivetrain) all I really had were tire straps like that on the uhaul trailer

So much...

1. most if not all of those straps look to be too wimpy to use for towing
2. don't attach straps to anything above the springs
3. don't cross straps (although if you ALSO have straight straps it won't matter because you have too damn many straps anyway)
4. You only need 4 straps, either over the tire down to the trailer, or from wheels/axles straight front/back on each corner.

Edit: and just noticed that little wimpy chain loosely hooked up to something? WFT lol.

So much...

1. most if not all of those straps look to be too wimpy to use for towing
2. don't attach straps to anything above the springs
3. don't cross straps (although if you ALSO have straight straps it won't matter because you have too damn many straps anyway)
4. You only need 4 straps, either over the tire down to the trailer, or from wheels/axles straight front/back on each corner.

Edit: and just noticed that little wimpy chain loosely hooked up to something? WFT lol.

Oh okay cool. Thanks good advice.

So... don't overthink it, strap down the tires, and go. lol

Uhaul includes those on their car haulers as a safety catch, though I've never seen one on the front. Agree, they wont do much. Looks like he has another yellow strap crossways underneath from the driver side frame crossways to the front of the trailer. You can barely see it between the front bumper and coil.

The straps on the bumper aren't doing anything. Soon as the suspension compresses those straps immediately become loose, then taught again as the suspension unloads. They'll be gone in no time.

Reactions: lBasket
The straps on the bumper aren't doing anything. Soon as the suspension compresses those straps immediately become loose, then taught again as the suspension unloads. They'll be gone in no time.
Ah yeah that is a really good point. Ranges between doesn't-do-shit to breaks-your-strap. So useful!

Needs more tie-down straps. :ROFLMAO:

We don't have pictures of the rear...

What? No righteous indignation about crossing the straps? You folks are slacking...

I'm surprised they didn't throw the winch rope in there...maybe wrap it around the tounge. So there was some restraint...pun on purpose...in there.

-Mac

I have to disagree about using the frame. I do not know how you drive or cinch the vehicle down that you would compress the vehicle enough for it to come undone while driving. I use a connector that Ts into the frame and my straps have retainers on the end clips. Tire straps are great if you have the proper mountings on the trailer to connect them to. Unfortunately none of my trailers have them. For longer trips I use axel straps that I use to secure the back axel. I’m more concerned with the vehicle flying forward during heavy braking or a frontal collision. I have 100s of thousands of miles hauling various types of equipment on and off road with zero issues.
That being said the center yellow strap and the red ones do nothing in securing that behicle

IMG_1794.jpeg

IMG_1795.jpeg

IMG_1796.jpeg

IMG_1797.jpeg

IMG_1799.jpeg

I have to disagree about using the frame. I do not know how you drive or cinch the vehicle down that you would compress the vehicle enough for it to come undone while driving. I use a connector that Ts into the frame and my straps have retainers on the end clips. Tire straps are great if you have the proper mountings on the trailer to connect them to. Unfortunately none of my trailers have them. For longer trips I use axel straps that I use to secure the back axel. I’m more concerned with the vehicle flying forward during heavy braking or a frontal collision. I have 100s of thousands of miles hauling various types of equipment on and off road with zero issues.
That being said the center yellow strap and the red ones do nothing in securing that behicle

View attachment 423442

View attachment 423443

View attachment 423444

View attachment 423445

View attachment 423446

someone seems to have flattened your headlights, good sir

I've towed both of my TJ/LJ's home on U Haul trailers. I'm pretty sure they would like to make sure their trailers are secure and dont bounce too many cars off of them so I think their system is probably tried and true. Their trailers have basket straps for front tires only. One of the two times had just one safety chain on the rear and the other time it had a safety chain for front and rear. There is not way to make those chains tight without modifying something. I did add straps to the rear even though they said not necessary.

Reactions: lBasket
I've towed both of my TJ/LJ's home on U Haul trailers. I'm pretty sure they would like to make sure their trailers are secure and dont bounce too many cars off of them so I think their system is probably tried and true. Their trailers have basket straps for front tires only. One of the two times had just one safety chain on the rear and the other time it had a safety chain for front and rear. There is not way to make those chains tight without modifying something. I did add straps to the rear even though they said not necessary.

You need these with chains.
1683687429834.jpeg

I use chains only on machinery such as my forklifts and tractors that are unsprung. Chains have no cushion while nylon straps have some give some cushion to them.
Federal rules state when hauling a vehicle under #10K you need 2 tie downs. 1 in front and 1 in back and the 2 together must be rated 1/2 the gross weight of the vehicle. DOT does check my tie downs when I get pulled in for inspection and they require 4 corners to be used.