Best V8 for swap?

You should expect to spend anywhere from 8-10k to have someone do it for you. You can do it cheaper yourself (since you won't have to pay for labor), but it's a big project, so it's by no means easy.

A good portion of the money depends on which V8 you go with. For instance, an LS swap will be more than using just a standard V8 out of lets say a Chevy cargo van, like @Stinger did on his.

If I was going to swap in a V8, it would be a Chevy / GM engine. They're more readily available and have cheaper parts. A Hemi is cool by all means, but they're overpriced, parts and as common as the Chevy V8 swaps, and the initial buy in is going to be a lot more expensive.

If I remember correctly, the Chevy V8 is also lighter than the 4.0, so you shed some pounds as well!

Last edited:
Just wondering which would be the best V8 swap for the TJ?
GM’s LM7 5.3 iron block is one of the most readily available LS blocks out there at a cost around $1200 with the harness and computer and never had the cylinder deactivation on it, making it a easier swap by a small means.

They can be found cheaper or more expensive depending on the milage and the area in which its coming from. Example being California will be much more expensive than Alabama.

Reactions: RonnieS
I like the L33. Its the 5.3 all Aluminum block that comes in with less weight than the pig that they call the 4.0L

That’s the one I am referring too. I’m not sure what one of those costs, but I think that would be my choice for a swap. Being able to save weight while gaining power would be a big benefit.

That’s the one I am referring too. I’m not sure what one of those costs, but I think that would be my choice for a swap. Being able to save weight while gaining power would be a big benefit.

Salvage engine, trans, and harness is going to run you $2000-2500 depending on location and donar vehicle milage.

You should expect to spend anywhere from 8-10k to have someone do it for you.

Unless you're not even changing the oil on the donor engine, this seems like a very low number based on my estimates. Obviously also depends on what kind of deal you can score on the engine too (and the more risk you want to take the cheaper you can probably find one).

Bare minimum you have to factor in exhaust, gauges, transmission adapter plates, engine mounts, possible other adapters and brackets. If you want to go a little further than that, you have costs for refreshing the engine (oil, pumps, temp gauges, spark plugs, etc) and do you expect your transmission and transfer case to live? Add those in too and now you're also dealing with new skids and driveshafts.

Unless you're not even changing the oil on the donor engine, this seems like a very low number based on my estimates. Obviously also depends on what kind of deal you can score on the engine too (and the more risk you want to take the cheaper you can probably find one).

Bare minimum you have to factor in exhaust, gauges, transmission adapter plates, engine mounts, possible other adapters and brackets. If you want to go a little further than that, you have costs for refreshing the engine (oil, pumps, temp gauges, spark plugs, etc) and do you expect your transmission and transfer case to live? Add those in too and now you're also dealing with new skids and driveshafts.

Oh wow, seriously? I had talked with @Stinger a while back about his V8 swap, and he was telling me he spent around 10k I believe. Of course he used a V8 engine from a Chevy cargo van, and I don't think he rebuilt it before he put it in.

I have no doubt you're right though. You always end up spending more money than you think you will on larger projects like this. That's why I'm thinking I'll just do a 4.7 stroker kit on my current Rubicon. I'm thinking that it won't break the bank like a V8 swap would, but it will still give me enough more power at the wheels to make me happy.

Oh wow, seriously? I had talked with @Stinger a while back about his V8 swap, and he was telling me he spent around 10k I believe. Of course he used a V8 engine from a Chevy cargo van, and I don't think he rebuilt it before he put it in.

I have no doubt you're right though. You always end up spending more money than you think you will on larger projects like this. That's why I'm thinking I'll just do a 4.7 stroker kit on my current Rubicon. I'm thinking that it won't break the bank like a V8 swap would, but it will still give me enough more power at the wheels to make me happy.

You're running a SC, right? Double check the info on stroking the 4.0, I've seen reliability to be a mixed bag after stroking.

Reactions: RonnieS and Chris

I'm sure you could do the swap for $5k if you waited around for parts and didn't really care about belly height or what you ended up with as long as it went "vroom" on the street but I expect most of us want a lighter and more powerful engine than we're currently running and you tend to pay for specifics.

GM cargo van from a wreck. Pull the iton block 6.0 and the harness. Salvage the rest, I mean everything. Seats, glass, seals, carpet, guage cluster, wheels and tires, etc. you get the point and you will make your money back. It would require patience.

I believe HotRod magazine did an article on this.

Reactions: derekmac
You're running a SC, right? Double check the info on stroking the 4.0, I've seen reliability to be a mixed bag after stroking.

My old one had a supercharger. I may just end up going that route on my new TJ as well. I too have headed a mixed bag on the strokers. Though most of the issues seem to be related to hotter cams and head work as oppose to anything bottom end related.

Honestly tho, price out a Banks Turbo or SuperCharger before committing to the V8. If your 4.0L is still a strong engine forced induction is probably way easier.

Reactions: mots
Honestly tho, price out a Banks Turbo or SuperCharger before committing to the V8. If your 4.0L is still a strong engine forced induction is probably way easier.
I just hate that you cant adjust fuel and air on the 4.0L factory ECU. You are kind of running blind and crossed fingers. I have seen a lot of offerings for standalone ECU’s latley. So it can be done. It would be another 2-3k if you want to do it right.