Best way to fit soft upper pins into threaded lower steel half door frames?

AllyL

Just bought my 98 TJ, she only had a bikini top and half doors. Bought a pavement ends bowless soft top and soft uppers. Installed new door surrounds and go to slide in the new uppers... but the lower door holes are threaded - pins won't slide in. Anyone have this issue? Do I need to drill through the threads so the pins will slide in or is there another solution? I can't get a pic of the threaded holes because she's at the shop right now, but you get the idea. Thanks for any advice...
20200214_185720.jpg

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Your half doors should have plastic pin inserts (3 per door) for the uppers to fit into. I'm not sure what you have but I think they need to be removed and replaced with what I have provided a link to below. I am not aware of any uppers that use threaded inserts. Hope this helps.

https://www.justjeeps.com/jeep-wran...06-wrangler-yj-tj-models-with-half-doors.html

Thanks for the reply! I can't tell what it has now... looks like it's factory or welded in. Definitely going to order these pin inserts and give it a shot. Maybe I'll have to drill the holes out to fit the inserts in, if I can't find or get the old ones out, but hopefully will be good to go either way. Thanks again :)

Reactions: PCO6
This is a pic of the top of a YJ half door but it's basically the same as a TJ door. It shows what the pin inserts look like when installed. The interior door panel has to be installed first and then the pins are inserted. They're a friction fit with a spring of sorts that holds the upper half pins in firmly. It takes a bit of force to install them … just line them up and pound them down with your fist.

It sounds like someone might have "customized" what you have. Hope things work out OK for you. 👍

013.JPG