Best way to paint aluminum?

I third the zinc primer, but I guess I'm late to the party.
I have had good success w/ regular primer on aluminum that see salt conditions (after I had to grind that shit powder coat off). Sand and then spray immediately, as @mrblaine said it starts oxidizing almost right away.
Gimmee Rustoleum over powdercoat any day of the week.

I've painted numerous aluminum parts and had zero issues. A good sanding, wipe down with lacquer thinner, self etching primer, then covered with multiple coats of color will hold up well. My aluminum UCF rear bumper has been the longest running aluminum part at almost seven years. The only touch up work I've needed to do was due to dragging on rocks.

As is usually the story of my life...2 steps forward, 1 step back. Today I tried to mask off the bumper and paint the D rings body color. The spray can was very different and I mistakenly didn't trial it. First spray went on heavy and sagged. I tried to wipe off but it is messy. Should I let it set for 24 hours then sand and start over?

If you find runs, let them completely dry and you can use a razor blade to cut them off. Properly edged wood scrapers work great as well. Trying to fix it when wet just smears it around. Prolly have to sand back down to a smooth surface.

If you are really good with a brush, dipping it in the appropriate reducer (acetone, thinner, MEK, lacquer thinner, whatever) and lightly brushing it out can work for some finishes, but you better know what you are doing. Screw that up and you will be sanding back down.

Latest update: I sanded and prepped the D rings today. Primed, painted, and clear coated. I think it looks good and will look great when they stick out of the black bumper.

IMG_2941[1].JPG