Best way to sell my 99 TJ?

RobWesley

I am in a position where I need to sell my 99 Jeep TJ Sport 4.0 5 speed. Not a big fan of FB Marketplace. What would be the best platform to sell it?
I know there are many here who appreciate a great Jeep like the TJ Sport with that motor and a 5 spd.
Only 2 owners, my brother than me.
Little rust, rust on the frame like they do, but I did a ton of work on it last year.
It’s a project Jeep and runs great. Been sitting in the garage for 3 years, started regularly, driven round the block here and there but deserves a better life. Yeah, I said it.
Any advice on best way to part with it? Is there a Jeep Auction site where JEEP PEEPS know what they know?

IMG_1145.jpeg

Best of luck to you. I ended up using Offer up and craigs list. There will be a TON of scammers at first. Asking you to validate your number, send a code etc. Just ignore them and wait. You'll eventually get someone. FB might have less of that, I don't know. I'm not on FB.

I would list it here as well.

I’ve had good luck buying and selling on FB marketplace… Be aware of the scammers, don’t give out any personal information, don’t let anyone come to your residence, meet them in broad daylight with someone with you, and only except cash hand to hand…. Good luck!

Offerup sucks in my area. I’ve posted dozens of parts and a couple vehicles in the past year on offerup, fb and craigslist, not ONE has sold via offerup.

I can’t recall having that many scammers reach out either. And when they do, it’s very easy to distinguish them.

Offerup sucks in my area. I’ve posted dozens of parts and a couple vehicles in the past year on offerup, fb and craigslist, not ONE has sold via offerup.

I can’t recall having that many scammers reach out either. And when they do, it’s very easy to distinguish them.

I only use offer up to get rid of free shit or other things cheap that I really don't care if they sell.

Reactions: PNW_LJ
I sold 2 cars I. Marketplace, meeting at a known location both times. I didn’t get any scammers when selling those two, they were all legit inquiries. Just bought a Jeep tj for the kid in FB also. It’s good as long as the post is detailed, otherwise lots of more questions will be asked, imo.

If you put it on the street make up some flyers with all the pertinent info that people can take with them.. This is what I do and it cuts the number of bullshit calls.

You should have good luck parking it somewhere and posting a window sign as @bucky mentioned. Is there a place like an auto swap in your area? At one of our local community colleges every weekend they host an auto sale. You pay a small fee and can take back as many times as needed until it sells.

I purchased my LJR from a private party on Autotrader. Overall it was a smooth process on my end, not sure about the seller.

You should have good luck parking it somewhere and posting a window sign as @bucky mentioned. Is there a place like an auto swap in your area? At one of our local community colleges every weekend they host an auto sale. You pay a small fee and can take back as many times as needed until it sells.

I purchased my LJR from a private party on Autotrader. Overall it was a smooth process on my end, not sure about the seller.

I was thinking the same. Park it at your local shopping centers anchored by a food store, home improvement store, Walmart/Costco, etc. but with other stores in the Center. Park nearer to the entry to maximize visibility and you'd naturally be further from the store, to avoid taking up crucial parking spots. Move it every 2-3 days to a new center to avoid even the threat of a tow and maximize market.

I bet you'd have it sold within 2 weeks. TJs move quick, especially if you price it within the market value and not a moon shot.

Reactions: Danarch
I always park mine in high traffic areas (Walmart entrance is great) with details on the sign. That way people can look over the Jeep without someone looking over their shoulder. If they're still interested, they will call/text you. It weeds out the 50 stupid questions people always ask online. I always put a FIRM price too. That weeds out the "will you take $5,000 less than your asking price if I give you cash now" crowd. :cool:
p.s. This was at the corner of the main highway with an antique store and brewery within 50 feet.

RUBI SKEL 8 25 BEST PIC.jpg

I always park mine in high traffic areas (Walmart entrance is great) with details on the sign. That way people can look over the Jeep without someone looking over their shoulder. If they're still interested, they will call/text you. It weeds out the 50 stupid questions people always ask online. I always put a FIRM price too. That weeds out the "will you take $5,000 less than your asking price if I give you cash now" crowd. :cool:
p.s. This was at the corner of the main highway with an antique store and brewery within 50 feet.

View attachment 482777

Brother, you need to put some meat on your bones!