Bestop LJ black twill soft top review

So, on my 06 with a factory soft top. there is a sleeve that slides over that knuckle to keep it straight and true... another cost saving measure by bestop. They also got rid of the door surround knobs and replaces with screws. I been looking for those sleezes to retrofit on my bestop bows. I do see a value in that sleeve.

I dont seem to have the same fitment issues with my 1 year old Bestop Supertop NX, not twill version. Wonder if some if it is either bad quality control on the new fabric tops? I opted for the new hardware option. My stock frame was in great shape, but figured at 18 years old might as well get new. Only real rattle I had to contend with was that sun rider support bar rattling and one of the snaps in the back bow popping out. Bestop sent me a whole new back bar, which I just unscrewed the snap I needed from.

I'll have to see if I can get those soft top sleeves off the old frame without having to completely destroy it in the process.

I dont seem to have the same fitment issues with my 1 year old Bestop Supertop NX, not twill version. Wonder if some if it is either bad quality control on the new fabric tops? I opted for the new hardware option. My stock frame was in great shape, but figured at 18 years old might as well get new. Only real rattle I had to contend with was that sun rider support bar rattling and one of the snaps in the back bow popping out. Bestop sent me a whole new back bar, which I just unscrewed the snap I needed from.

I'll have to see if I can get those soft top sleeves off the old frame without having to completely destroy it in the process.

No, just unscrew the header and they'll slide off

I feel that being an LJ and the sales are so low compared to TJ that we don’t get the same level of quality control. On top of that the twill material adds a new variable, I wonder if they didn’t account for this material having more stretch than the sailcloth

Reactions: PNW_LJ
The saga continues... I tried to return the top but was assured that bestop "will not stop helping until the top fits perfect"... I drank the Koolaide. so if you remember back in post 27, Bestop needed to replace the piece I adjusted to "restore my warranty". I installed that piece last week. Sent pictures and updates to the email thread Bestop and I had been using. No reply, I sent again this week, no reply. I opened a new ticket explaining the current issues, no reply. And now I am past the 30 day return policy. 🤬

I am thinking about reporting the purchase to my credit card and buying from a local retailer and even paying for the installation so this becomes "their problem". I am sure if 4 wheel parts says this thing is as loose as their favorite underwear, bestop will jump. I gave them a ton of information, measurements, video and pictures. i feel i overloaded them and became an annoyance.

I read a few people suggest that their black twill is TOO tight, I was assuming that maybe this material cannot be as tight as the sail cloth, or they screwed up their stretch factor when converting the design to the twill...

The saga continues... I tried to return the top but was assured that bestop "will not stop helping until the top fits perfect"... I drank the Koolaide. so if you remember back in post 27, Bestop needed to replace the piece I adjusted to "restore my warranty". I installed that piece last week. Sent pictures and updates to the email thread Bestop and I had been using. No reply, I sent again this week, no reply. I opened a new ticket explaining the current issues, no reply. And now I am past the 30 day return policy. 🤬

I am thinking about reporting the purchase to my credit card and buying from a local retailer and even paying for the installation so this becomes "their problem". I am sure if 4 wheel parts says this thing is as loose as their favorite underwear, bestop will jump. I gave them a ton of information, measurements, video and pictures. i feel i overloaded them and became an annoyance.

I read a few people suggest that their black twill is TOO tight, I was assuming that maybe this material cannot be as tight as the sail cloth, or they screwed up their stretch factor when converting the design to the twill...

It does seem like the earliest reviews of the twill were glowing. I remember reading things like "it is barely louder than my hardtop!" Like I mentioned that hasn't been my experience at all either. I too couldn't get a response from Bestop. Best of luck.

• Sad
Reactions: PNW_LJ
I had an idea, I am going to try and get some soft top bows and header off of a STOCK LJ from the junk yard. ill report back with my findings, I HOPE all this is caused by the bows being goofy. I know the header needs some adjustment, but a factory bow has never left me unsatisfied with fit.

Reactions: John Cooper