Bestop replace-a-top fitment

Wingnut537

So last weekend I put on a new replace a top and the fitment was so bad that I didn't even post it to the what did you do to your TJ today thread. I had read that initial fitment can be a little disappointing but it should get better, it hasn't. My poor TJ looks like it woke up in and oversized shirt.
I think it is on correctly but the way it fits would say otherwise. I am 99.9% sure it is attached to the windshield header correctly.

some pics
20210626_175858.jpg
20210626_175734.jpg
20210626_173530.jpg
20210626_173616.jpg
20210626_173736.jpg
20210626_173619.jpg

I recently installed a twill replace a top and it was surprising loose fitting. My ultra worn out factory top was quieter and much tighter. Between this and the new tramp stamps they are putting on the back I would advise anyone to steer clear of Bestop right now.

I recently installed a twill replace a top and it was surprising loose fitting. My ultra worn out factory top was quieter and much tighter. Between this and the new tramp stamps they are putting on the back I would advise anyone to steer clear of Bestop right now.
This top replaced an 8 year old smittybuilt top that had worn out zippers and windows I could barely see through. At this point I think I should have replaced the zippers and windows on the old one. I have had car covers fit better than this top.

I put a new Twill replace-a-top on last week. Tight as a drum. It was pretty tough to get on and I do not plan to put it down for a few weeks to allow it to bed in. It took two people pushing the header down to allow me to engage the clips on the windscreen. I did have trouble getting the passenger side window in, but got there eventually. The only think I could not get done was the velcro over the central frame bar. I will revisit once it has been on a few weeks.

Tight fit and much quieter than the last one I had as far as I can recall. I am even getting used to the logo on the back.

For the flappy rear corners, did you get the stiffener inserts that had to be put in before attaching to the body?

That is just not typical Bestop fitment, i’d be on the phone with them.

Reactions: Rubicon88
I put a new Twill replace-a-top on last week. Tight as a drum. It was pretty tough to get on and I do not plan to put it down for a few weeks to allow it to bed in. It took two people pushing the header down to allow me to engage the clips on the windscreen. I did have trouble getting the passenger side window in, but got there eventually. The only think I could not get done was the velcro over the central frame bar. I will revisit once it has been on a few weeks.

Tight fit and much quieter than the last one I had as far as I can recall. I am even getting used to the logo on the back.

For the flappy rear corners, did you get the stiffener inserts that had to be put in before attaching to the body?
Stiffener insterts?

Next time try a slightly different order. Place the front hooks into their slots but don't close the latch. Insert the rear corners next, insert the windows next, then close the front latches.

Reactions: TJ Jim
It is factory, I can take some pics tomorrow for another opinion but I can't find anything on it that would suggest it's not factory.
So we’re clear, I’m talking about the soft top bows & frame.

Something is off key here.

Bestop can and does make errors but these tops are mass produced. They do have templates and computer controlled sewing..etc.

Either the wrong item was ordered...perhaps labeled wrong from the factory and picked correctly in the warehouse.?.
I've never seen a Bestop top that sloppy.
That makes the aftermarket like Smittybilt ..etc... look like the pinnacle of soft tops...and they aren't.

Reactions: Daryl
To be sure, the factory/Bestop soft top is designed to be so taut (to reduce noise) that it will seem impossible to erect if the steps are done out of order. Like latching the front hooks too soon.

Stiffener insterts?
In the box I received was the roof, side windows, rear window and a plastic package with two wing shaped white plastic inserts. The instructions told me to put these into the zipped pockets on the rear corners during installation. The inserts then deflect to form a nice tight rigid corner. See step 10 in installation instructions:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/171291.pdf
Are you sure it is a genuine Bestop product? I do worry about buying from places like Amazon and EBay that a dishonest seller might send a knock off instead of the real thing.

In the box I received was the roof, side windows, rear window and a plastic package with two wing shaped white plastic inserts. The instructions told me to put these into the zipped pockets on the rear corners during installation. The inserts then deflect to form a nice tight rigid corner. See step 10 in installation instructions:
https://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/installation_instructions/171291.pdf
Are you sure it is a genuine Bestop product? I do worry about buying from places like Amazon and EBay that a dishonest seller might send a knock off instead of the real thing.
Those plastic inserts/corner stiffeners are in my OEM soft top, Maybe the Twill replace a top is more like the OEM given its a more expensive option to the sailcloth ? I cant see it ever fitting correctly without the corner inserts.
Also what's odd is the fitting instructions you linked were for the Twill top specific, you would think that if the only difference was material type that the instructions would be for all the tops?

OP do you have the pouches inside the rear corners to hold the stiffeners?

I put a twill top on my jk, and it was so tight it looks I bent the footman loops trying to get it latched. The twill material is really stiff and thick. Good for noise but too bulky when laid back. When I order the new top for my tj I’ll get the sailcloth. But…it wasn’t loose and floppy like yours.
I also believe the inserts go on the nx top and not the full top?
maybe take it for an interstate drive with variations in windows in/out up/down and see if it’ll seat better.

I put a twill top on my jk, and it was so tight it looks I bent the footman loops trying to get it latched. The twill material is really stiff and thick. Good for noise but too bulky when laid back. When I order the new top for my tj I’ll get the sailcloth. But…it wasn’t loose and floppy like yours.
I also believe the inserts go on the nx top and not the full top?
maybe take it for an interstate drive with variations in windows in/out up/down and see if it’ll seat better.
The inserts are in my OEM factory full soft top with the original cage, I am not sure what else would stiffen the top at the rear roll bar without them?
They have separate internal pouches that the stiffeners fit into, they are a very stiff opaque nylon.
Maybe they were only on deluxe type tops?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
The first thing I would have done is sent Bestop (or the place you bought it from) a picture and told them you want a refund. I had a tiny crooked stitch on the inside of my new Bestop. I contacted them and they sent me a new top and told me to keep the old one. I sold it to my neighbor for $300. 🤫

p.s. The new tops have the logo on the top itself. Yours has a square logo on the window. You must have got the Chinese version.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fishtaco
The first thing I would have done is sent Bestop (or the place you bought it from) a picture and told them you want a refund. I had a tiny crooked stitch on the inside of my new Bestop. I contacted them and they sent me a new top and told me to keep the old one. I sold it to my neighbor for $300. 🤫
Given the OP,s is a 97 I would imagine the cage is not OEM to fit that bad! in the pics I cant see the OEM cage side bits in the side window.