Bestop replace-a-top fitment

So last weekend I put on a new replace a top and the fitment was so bad that I didn't even post it to the what did you do to your TJ today thread. I had read that initial fitment can be a little disappointing but it should get better, it hasn't. My poor TJ looks like it woke up in and oversized shirt.
I think it is on correctly but the way it fits would say otherwise. I am 99.9% sure it is attached to the windshield header correctly.

some pics

I did this recently with a "Sailcloth" version of the replace-a-top. Fit perfectly. My best guess is that there is something wrong with your frame. If you're sure it's factory, is it bent anywhere? Or, in the process of removing the old one, did anything come loose anywhere, etc? Maybe some more pics could help.

Mine is a 97 with original frame.

Edit: Oops. As Jerry once said, call me a dollar short and a day late. Just caught up on the rest of the thread and see that this is resolved. And hey, I like your tan-colored cage padding. Where did you get that?

I did this recently with a "Sailcloth" version of the replace-a-top. Fit perfectly. My best guess is that there is something wrong with your frame. If you're sure it's factory, is it bent anywhere? Or, in the process of removing the old one, did anything come loose anywhere, etc? Maybe some more pics could help.

Edit: Oops. As Jerry once said, call me a dollar short and a day late. Just caught up on the rest of the thread and see that this is resolved. And hey, I like your tan-colored cage padding. Where did you get that?
I guess time will tell, if the replacement fits the same way, but hopefully that will be a better fit.

Reactions: SSTJ
It says Assembled in Mexico.
Same as OP,s but I would say then that they are possibly made in China or India and assembled in Mexico? If they were made in USA and assembled in Mexico it would say so.
Given the sales reps response to OP by immediately sending out a replacement without a return says to me Bestop has a batch out there that have been cut wrong then assembled that are too hard to trace or recall.
This could be a problem for those overseas buying on ebay or in the future if purchasing NOS.

Same as OP,s but I would say then that they are possibly made in China or India and assembled in Mexico? If they were made in USA and assembled in Mexico it would say so.
Given the sales reps response to OP by immediately sending out a replacement without a return says to me Bestop has a batch out there that have been cut wrong then assembled that are too hard to trace or recall.
This could be a problem for those overseas buying on ebay or in the future if purchasing NOS.
Bestop has always had a really painless warranty process.

The cage padding is bestop. Was on the jeep when I bought it

Reactions: SSTJ

I hope you're not right about the china or India. I also hope assembled in Mexico means more than just making and packing the box with stuff from anywhere.

The batch being cut wrong could be the case but there are also a number of other things during assembly that could effect the product. If any of it was hard to trace or recall, it very well could be why the sales rep did an immediate replacement.

I will say that as much as I distrust almost every business, I do trust Bestop. Somewhere in this forum I posted about my experience. Here's quick outline:

New to me TJ had one of the straps from the center to the rear bow just hanging down because it was about 1" too short.
First sales rep said he would send me a new set of straps.
Second sales rep said they can't send out just the straps and they'll send me a new center bow with straps.
I received the center bow with straps for a JK.
Third sales rep said they'll send me TJ center bow with straps and they don't want the JK one back.
A couple days later the new set of straps was sitting at my door.
A couple days after that, I received the correct TJ center bow with straps.

I can't quite recall when I got their Vinyl Soft Top Repair Kit but it did happen during that 3 week period.

I never expected to get anything free and my credit card was in my hand during every call. My total cost to Bestop to straighten up a Bestop that I didn't even buy from them was ZERO $$$.

I know it sounds crazy but I think they're main goal is a happy Bestop owner, who will buy in the future.

I hope you're not right about the china or India. I also hope assembled in Mexico means more than just making and packing the box with stuff from anywhere.

The batch being cut wrong could be the case but there are also a number of other things during assembly that could effect the product. If any of it was hard to trace or recall, it very well could be why the sales rep did an immediate replacement.

I will say that as much as I distrust almost every business, I do trust Bestop. Somewhere in this forum I posted about my experience. Here's quick outline:

New to me TJ had one of the straps from the center to the rear bow just hanging down because it was about 1" too short.
Second sales rep said they can't send out just the straps and they'll send me a new center bow with straps.
Third sales rep said they'll send me TJ center bow with straps and they don't want the JK one back.

I can't quite recall when I got their Vinyl Soft Top Repair Kit but it did happen during that 3 week period.

I never expected to get anything free and my credit card was in my hand during every call. My total cost to Bestop to straighten up a Bestop that I didn't even buy from them was ZERO $$$.

I know it sounds crazy but I think they're main goal is a happy Bestop owner, who will buy in the future.
Their customer service really is amazing. That said their margins on the stuff they don't give away must be incredible for them to be able to give so much away whenever there is an issue.

Maybe Bestop should be asked where they are made? I am not knocking Bestop as I am considering buying an NX but with it having to be shipped to Australia with quite high shipping and import/ sales taxes I doubt Bestop would just replace for me if in the OP,s situation?
If they were US made they would say USA made assembled in Mexico I should think? But if materials were sourced and cut in Asia/China would North Americans still pay the Bestop premium? I still would because almost everything I buy in Australia comes from SE Asia or China even most of the TJ parts available come to us from USA via China.
I went for a look see on Ali Baba and was shocked at the TJ parts for sale! pages and pages of stuff sold in bulk with "Put your logo here" or you can have the same product logo free. There is really not enough TJ,s in Australia for a business to single item bulk buy from China at $10 in the $100 local retail cost and the reason they come to Australia Via the USA.

I was very disappointed with my last pair of Dickies shorts I bought they were made in Vietnam and cut was nothing like the Mexico made ones I bought in US, now even some Carhartt jackets are no longer made in USA.

Folks, I am getting a good deal on a “Bestop Replace A Top” (97-02 Sailcloth) with following details -

1) This top was acquired with few more tops and other bits & pieces from a closing down Bestop retailer. It’s a new top, never installed but open box, as per seller it was returned due to colour not being suitable.
2) Seller is assuring that top is complete and there are no fitment issues, defects or damage to the top. As per him box was opened color was checked and then it was put straight back into the box.
3) It is” Assembled In Mexico “ not made in Mexico. ( This part is what concerning me the most)
4) Can someone figure out what year it was made based on the attached label to determine how old is this stock.
5) Will this top fit on 2004 Wrangler TJ?

C4C82ACD-FAAD-4C38-AA90-9D73A8F37D1C.jpeg

Folks, I am getting a good deal on a “Bestop Replace A Top” (97-02 Sailcloth) with following details -

1) This top was acquired with few more tops and other bits & pieces from a closing down Bestop retailer. It’s a new top, never installed but open box, as per seller it was returned due to colour not being suitable.
2) Seller is assuring that top is complete and there are no fitment issues, defects or damage to the top. As per him box was opened color was checked and then it was put straight back into the box.
3) It is” Assembled In Mexico “ not made in Mexico. ( This part is what concerning me the most)
4) Can someone figure out what year it was made based on the attached label to determine how old is this stock.
5) Will this top fit on 2004 Wrangler TJ?

View attachment 366559

When I bought my bestop from quadratec the box stated it was for 97-02 just like that one says. Called them up and they told me it also fits my 04. Don’t know why bestop doesn’t state all the years it’ll actually fit. That was last year.

Reactions: AutoCrat
When I bought my bestop from quadratec the box stated it was for 97-02 just like that one says. Called them up and they told me it also fits my 04. Don’t know why bestop doesn’t state all the years it’ll actually fit. That was last year.

Thanks for the confirmation, at least one less thing to worry about. Now if someone can confirm or throw some light on quality issues associated with these “Assembled In Mexico” lot. I am getting mixed messages as it is mentioned on many forums that these are actually made in China and have fitment issues. I personally don’t care where these are made as long as they are tight fit and good quality.

Just woke up and haven't been outside to take pics of the frame but I bought it through AAFES which is the US Army Airforce Exchange (think Walmart for the military) so I seriously doubt that it is counterfeit. With regards to the frame, what should I be looking for that would confirm factory or not.
I have driven it around for a week hoping it would settle in, it hasnt.

View attachment 261696

i’d box it up and return it.