Bestop Replace A Top Installation Questions

Cheetokps

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey guys, I’m finally getting around to installing my new soft top onto my frame and I have a few questions.

First, it appears the header corner fabric ripped.

Side that looks good:
6CD88780-8227-43DC-8758-2E2AF8A2F1F1.jpeg

Side that looks ripped:
C532191C-3FFE-4379-8173-097E0299FEC2.jpeg

Would this have to be fixed for the top to function properly? Can I just see it myself at home, and do I need special thread/etc? I waited about 6 months for this top to arrive so I can’t wait for a replacement.

Also, it seems I need to put a screw through this flap to connect it underneath. However, there is no hole or even a grommet underneath, so I’m worried about messing up the material. Should I just put a screw through and it’ll be fine? I’ll pull it as tight as possible I would assume
B5173020-3FDF-4673-9128-6942EE28F9D4.jpeg

That side doesn't look ripped to me. It just looks like they missed the stitches.

IIRC, you only put screws in the holes that you removed them from the old top. So if there was one there, then yes, just punch it thru the material. It's possible they missed a hole also.

That side doesn't look ripped to me. It just looks like they missed the stitches.

IIRC, you only put screws in the holes that you removed them from the old top. So if there was one there, then yes, just punch it thru the material. It's possible they missed a hole also.
It was stitched on but it pulled out when I very lightly tugged on it. So they must have barely done it.

I’m wondering if I can stitch it back together myself? I wouldn’t want to have them send a new top or anything

It was stitched on but it pulled out when I very lightly tugged on it. So they must have barely done it.

I’m wondering if I can stitch it back together myself? I wouldn’t want to have them send a new top or anything
They'll send you a replacement top (minus the windows) and let you keep the old one, if you call Bestop. Better to do it sooner rather than later. I did it years ago when I had defective stitching. Better safe than sorry later on when it's too late.

Last edited:
They'll send you a replacement top (minus the windows) and let you keep the old one, if you call Bestop. Better to do it sooner rather than later. I did it years ago when I had a defective stitch.
Great, maybe I can try stitching this one back and have 2 tops. I’m hoping it doesn’t leak how it is now, especially because this too took 6 months to arrive

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Great, maybe I can try stitching this one back and have 2 tops. I’m hoping it doesn’t leak how it is now, especially because this too took 6 months to arrive
Where did you order it from that took that long to arrive?
p.s. My old Bestop started leaking bad at the rear stitching yesterday after some heavy rain.:( I'm going to try to seal it from the inside today. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Where did you order it from that took that long to arrive?
p.s. My old Bestop started leaking bad at the rear stitching yesterday after some heavy rain.:( I'm going to try to seal it from the inside today. It's supposed to rain again tomorrow.
Morris 4x4, although I have heard they’re very slow with shipping in general. I ordered it last May and it didn’t come until the fall

Probably the same storm we’re getting here in CT tomorrow, looks like a lot of rain so I’ll figure out if it will leak pretty fast 🤣

Morris 4x4, although I have heard they’re very slow with shipping in general. I ordered it last May and it didn’t come until the fall
It must have been out of stock. I get everything from them in 3 days. I even got custom seat back covers for $5 that double as tank tops. ;)
p.s. That's me after a year on Weight Watchers. :)
Rubi seat covers.jpg

RUBI SKEL 8 25 (2).jpg

I have another issue with this too, it pools water whenever it rains and when I start to drive it dumps it everywhere. My old soft top might have done this a little, but nowhere near this bad
A5E55BC4-E716-4288-BF6F-6D49330E98F9.jpeg

Is this a common issue? I still haven’t heard back from bestop about the ripped seam yet either

I have another issue with this too, it pools water whenever it rains and when I start to drive it dumps it everywhere. My old soft top might have done this a little, but nowhere near this bad
View attachment 320964

Is this a common issue? I still haven’t heard back from bestop about the ripped seam yet either
It shouldn't do that at all if the material is tight. I've had 18" of snow on mine and it didn't sag.

Last edited:
View attachment 320964

I would say that should not happen. I have a Rampage top and never have that issue.

It’s not completely tight, I never put the 2 screws in from the first pics I posted, but I don’t think that would make much of a difference.

My rear frame bar is a little bent and makes my top sag to one side too, but I don’t think that would affect this part at all. Unfortunately I can’t find this bar anywhere unless I buy a whole new frame

View attachment 320964

Not normal. My guess is that your soft top frame is bent. The 90deg bends at the B pillar need to be opened up some.

@Cheetokps, you installed the material to the header bar wrong (from your first two pics). The material should be inside out and then flipped around the header bar to fasten the last two corner screws. That would account for the extra material making it sag.
header bar.jpg

Video for you.

Last edited:
It shouldn't do that at all if the material is tight. I've had 18" of snow on mine and it didn't sag.
huh...I didn't realize that it wasn't normal - that's good to know. When it rains here in PA, my smittybilt replacement top becomes the sixth great lake. Just this morning the tidal wave nearly flooded my entire cab when I went to take my daughter to school. Really reaffirms my decision to purchase a new Bestop (coming in the mail tomorrow!)

@Cheetokps, you installed the material to the header bar wrong (from your first two pics). The material should be inside out and then flipped around the header bar to fasten the last two corner screws. That would account for the extra material making it sag.
View attachment 321041

Video for you.
Ah thank you!!! I am still waiting to hear back from Bestop about the missing stitches, I might wait to hear from them before fixing it so I don't do it twice if they send a new top. Although if I install it right the rip might not matter, so I'll see if I even have to try and keep bothering them

huh...I didn't realize that it wasn't normal - that's good to know. When it rains here in PA, my smittybilt replacement top becomes the sixth great lake. Just this morning the tidal wave nearly flooded my entire cab when I went to take my daughter to school. Really reaffirms my decision to purchase a new Bestop (coming in the mail tomorrow!)
I had forgotten it rained the other day, and I began to drive away with my windows open and got a waterfall right into my passenger seat