Bestop sliders with steps

basic

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Found someone semi-local on craigslist who is selling some bestop highrock 4x4 rock sliders with the pop-out step for an LJ (and yes Chris, it is an LJ). I've never seen these before and am having issues finding any reviews online for them. I like that they have a step for the wife, but also that the step retracts back in for offroading.

Anyone here seen these before or had any experiences with them? I was planning on getting some of the JCR Crusaders but these are a good price and semi local.
received_244162162997189.jpeg
received_244162172997188.jpeg

I've never seen these either. From other sites listing it looks like the step lowers down and then raises to the flat position as in your photo. It looks like they have a double bend at the corner of the tub, which is good, though I'd be worried that step would catch on something. I'd definitely be interested. Most places they're still available for $350 +, though I saw the LJ one's on Ebay and Collins for $199

First time I've ever seen those things! They look kind of funky IMHO.

Yea,you are correct, the step lowers down. Didn't include those photos. The guy is asking $250, but I would need to get new rivet nuts and other stuff.

I like the idea, but also think they have to hang lower than others to accommodation the step. I'll be putting a TT on as somepoint, then these would be the lowest hanging part of the LJ.

I was able to get the install instructions using archive.org and the link from collins bros to the pdf. Not sure I like how they mount to the frame...or rather lack of mounting.
https://web.archive.org/web/20141130170923/http://www.bestop.com/installation_guides/49315.pdf

They are sun-faded to grey, so I would need to repaint as well.

Pics with steps extended:

received_244162142997191.jpeg
received_244162156330523.jpeg

Hmmm...I'm like you, I need a good way for the wife to ingress and egress. This is a pretty neat system, but I'm thinking brand new one's at Collins for $199 is better than $250 used! I don't like the way they mount to brackets attached to the frame either. I prefer tub mounted. Wheelin yesterday with a guy on 43's. He had a stirrup he threw out the door for people to use to get in his Jeep!

Interesting. They are quite large and bulky, It looks like the whole thing hangs down to the bottom of the frame. I suppose if you need the step and don't mind the loss of clearance and added weight, then these sliders are pretty clever. The full wheel well to wheel well coverage is nice.

Well, the problem would be the new ones would be more like $350 by the time they were shipped up from TX. Not sure it would be much cheaper to ship them any other way.
Didn't have any luck finding the ebay one to see if shipping was any cheaper.

.. I don't like the way they mount to brackets attached to the frame either. I prefer tub mounted....
I see that now. The body and frame appear to be connected to each other. The body is no longer isolated from the frame, making me wonder how much vibration gets transferred.

I would pass. These aren't sliders as much as they are a huge container for an elaborate step.

I see that now. The body and frame appear to be connected to each other. The body is no longer isolated from the frame, making me wonder how much vibration gets transferred.

I would pass.

Not to mention, when I get the body lift for the TT; they may no longer line up.

Think I'll save a few more pennies and order the JCR.

Reactions: jjvw and JMT
Not to mention, when I get the body lift for the TT; they may no longer line up.

Think I'll have a few more pennies and order the JCR.
Good decision. I didn't catch that. with a body lift you would be out of luck with these....

I picked up a pair of these because Morris 4x4 is selling them for $99 with free shipping and I need something to replace the factory step for some light off reading, not rock crawling. The latest versions don’t require any drilling, so I figure worst case I’m out $109 (CA Tax) minus what I can get back on craigslist or for scrap metal if I really don’t like them. They were highly recommended by a Bestop employee at a show but I think mostly because of such a low price. He also said Bestop usually liquidates anything that‘s been discontinued for Jeeps at very low prices with Morris.

Good decision. I didn't catch that. with a body lift you would be out of luck with these....
Is there no way to makes these work with a body lift? I’m not sure how these install so I don’t know what I’m taking about.

Looking at the install instructions for where it attaches to the frame, couldn’t I move these brackets up 1.25” to match the 1.25” body lift. Looks like the top of the brackets would then be “hanging over” the frame by 1.25”… would that be a problem?

DE02FC31-EE16-4970-9CFC-C6F194A76D7E.jpeg

Reactions: JMT
Looking at the install instructions for where it attaches to the frame, couldn’t I move these brackets up 1.25” to match the 1.25” body lift. Looks like the top of the brackets would then be “hanging over” the frame by 1.25”… would that be a problem?

View attachment 289101
You should be able to do that without issue.