BigWidd's Big Adventure

Agreed. @BigWidd's big adventure needs it'own thread.

I mean... Pee-Wee got his:

il_570xN.701863914_nlec.jpg

CONTINUATION FROM POST #354
CHAPTER 16

It took from the end of November until February 7th for them to get ECU 4 built and delivered. It has been just under a years time since we first submitted the order to ECU Team. I have to say at this point in time, my confidence in their ability to provide a fully working ECU was "microscopic". In fact, my expectations were to the point that I felt it best that we do a video documentation of the install and start up. Here is a link to that video.
(Disclaimer, we are not professional videographers) as you will readily ascertain.

Well now you have been able to see what happened when ECU 4 was installed. Each ECU that was sent to us was worse in terms of functionality than the proceeding unit. And to top it off, the Jeep would not start with ECU 4. That was the last straw. I was not going to try with them again.

My sweetheart's confidence in ECU Team was worse than mine. Unbeknownst to me, she had spent some time the previous days scouring the internet looking for a new supplier. She happened upon Wrangler Fix. A Google search brought her to this very thread where it was being discussed. At the first opportunity I called Wrangler Fix and spoke with Mark. What a pleasant surprise, I explained our situation and he promised that he could provide us a working computer module. I took him at his word and submitted an order. Within a few days the package arrived. I installed it and there have been happy trails since.

Wrangler Fix is the real deal. There have been no drive-ability issues, no check engine light, no worries on our part. A big thank you to Mark and the others at Wrangler Fix. They did what they claimed they would do. I highly recommend them to anyone that needs to replace the computer module, ecu, pcm, ecm, bcm or whatever you choose to call it.

P.S.
We sent back the two ecu's that we had in our possession from ECU Team. Numbers 1 and 4. We also submitted a formal request to ECU Team asking for a refund of our original purchase price of $990.00. During a phone conversation they offered to refund $300.00. I politely turned it down and again asked for the full amount. I pointed out to them that I had not included the $139 charge from the dealer for the testing and the $70 in shipping we had paid to return the defective units.

They replied to us via email claiming that Module Gods and ECU Team were not the same company and they were not responsible for a purchase we made from a third party supplier. Here is a quote from that email " We did everything in our power. Yes, it didn't work, but we didn't even promise you that this is going to solve the issue."

My wife did a lot of research and we dispute the claim that ECU Team and Module Gods were not affiliated. On their official invoice from our original purchase it shows........well here, take a look for yourself.
20200308_195216.jpg

Notice the wording at the bottom of the invoice.

We have submitted a request to our credit card company to dispute the charge based on the fact that they did not provide the goods or services as advertised.

To be continued:

CONTINUATION FROM POST #354
CHAPTER 16

It took from the end of November until February 7th for them to get ECU 4 built and delivered. It has been just under a years time since we first submitted the order to ECU Team. I have to say at this point in time, my confidence in their ability to provide a fully working ECU was "microscopic". In fact, my expectations were to the point that I felt it best that we do a video documentation of the install and start up. Here is a link to that video.
(Disclaimer, we are not professional videographers) as you will readily ascertain.

Well now you have been able to see what happened when ECU 4 was installed. Each ECU that was sent to us was worse in terms of functionality than the proceeding unit. And to top it off, the Jeep would not start with ECU 4. That was the last straw. I was not going to try with them again.

My sweetheart's confidence in ECU Team was worse than mine. Unbeknownst to me, she had spent some time the previous days scouring the internet looking for a new supplier. She happened upon Wrangler Fix. A Google search brought her to this very thread where it was being discussed. At the first opportunity I called Wrangler Fix and spoke with Mark. What a pleasant surprise, I explained our situation and he promised that he could provide us a working computer module. I took him at his word and submitted an order. Within a few days the package arrived. I installed it and there have been happy trails since.

Wrangler Fix is the real deal. There have been no drive-ability issues, no check engine light, no worries on our part. A big thank you to Mark and the others at Wrangler Fix. They did what they claimed they would do. I highly recommend them to anyone that needs to replace the computer module, ecu, pcm, ecm, bcm or whatever you choose to call it.

P.S.
We sent back the two ecu's that we had in our possession from ECU Team. Numbers 1 and 4. We also submitted a formal request to ECU Team asking for a refund of our original purchase price of $990.00. During a phone conversation they offered to refund $300.00. I politely turned it down and again asked for the full amount. I pointed out to them that I had not included the $139 charge from the dealer for the testing and the $70 in shipping we had paid to return the defective units.

They replied to us via email claiming that Module Gods and ECU Team were not the same company and they were not responsible for a purchase we made from a third party supplier. Here is a quote from that email " We did everything in our power. Yes, it didn't work, but we didn't even promise you that this is going to solve the issue."

My wife did a lot of research and we dispute the claim that ECU Team and Module Gods were not affiliated. On their official invoice from our original purchase it shows........well here, take a look for yourself.View attachment 145006
Notice the wording at the bottom of the invoice.

We have submitted a request to our credit card company to dispute the charge based on the fact that they did not provide the goods or services as advertised.

To be continued:
As your invoices clearly says - they are in fact related companies. I unfortunately also had to do the research of the business entity filings, and the owner's names due to the fact that communication deteriorated so badly. Similar to your experience, they could never provide a functional unit. They tried to split diagnostic costs, subtract the cost of shipping of units provided under warranty (I had them issue RMA call tags), and ultimately short pay the refund. You are absolutely correct in your statement that they could not provide the goods they advertised - case closed! You shouldn't be out of pocket a dime because none of the expenses would exist if they delivered what they claimed they would. This is the approach I took and the credit card company charged back the purchase price.

Sorry you had to experience this as well. On the brighter side your in much better shape now with Wrangler Fix and you have someone on the other end who values customer service.

As your invoices clearly says - they are in fact related companies. I unfortunately also had to do the research of the business entity filings, and the owner's names due to the fact that communication deteriorated so badly. Similar to your experience, they could never provide a functional unit. They tried to split diagnostic costs, subtract the cost of shipping of units provided under warranty (I had them issue RMA call tags), and ultimately short pay the refund. You are absolutely correct in your statement that they could not provide the goods they advertised - case closed! You shouldn't be out of pocket a dime because none of the expenses would exist if they delivered what they claimed they would. This is the approach I took and the credit card company charged back the purchase price.

Sorry you had to experience this as well. On the brighter side your in much better shape now with Wrangler Fix and you have someone on the other end who values customer service.

The guys at ECU Team told me they had another customer that was experiencing the same issues we were. I wonder if that could have been you. I believe he mentioned that the guy was a police officer.

We are very happy to have the computer problem sol-ved (as Inspector Clouseau would say). Just waiting to hear back from the credit card company. Thank heavens for Wrangler Fix.

CONTINUED FROM POST #357
CHAPTER 17

Today's chapter will be a break from the normal dribble I drone on about. Or as was popularized by Monty Python....."and now for something completely different".

The drivers seat in the Jeep has been showing some distress lately. Partly because I have eaten too many sandwiches and cookies while seated, and partly due to age, wear and tear. The upholstery while not torn or unraveling was bunching up along the bottom cushion. Especially on the left side where I slide in and out. I also thought it would be a good idea to clean the seat tracks and lubricate the slides and pivot points for the tumble forward mechanism.
20200222_152323.jpg

This is what greeted me when I got the seat taken out.

The upholstery is held to the seat frame with some plastic rails that a u-shaped and sewn to the fabric. The plastic rail then clips directly to the frame. After taking it apart I found that one of the plastic rails on the left side was almost torn completely lose. No wonder it was bunching up.
20200222_185006.jpg

The factory does not paint the majority of the seat frame assembly. So you know what the painter in me had to do.....
20200302_221920.jpg

I blasted and painted the seat frame. My wife broke out the Singer and we clumsily sewed a patch in place to hold the plastic rail firmly. While I had the seat apart I used a carpet shampoo machine to clean the upholstery. I let it dry for two days then put it all back together.
That seat assembly is a complicated piece of kit.

The seat looks and feels, as my daughter used to say, much more better.

To be continued:

Last edited:
Reactions: Nickgsjeep
Oops, we are currently waiting to hear back from the credit card company about the dispute of charges. I will hold off posting until I have something to report.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
CONTINUED FROM POST #340
CHAPTER 11

Upon arriving home from our jaunt to Little Moab I immediately enrolled in another course on YouTube university. I quickly located a video showing how to diagnose problems with the locker controls and actuators. The video also showed me that when the axle lock light is blinking it means the axle is not locked. I am getting more educated by the day. Back in the garage I activate the rear axle locker and can hear that the vacuum pump just continues to run. I began checking the vacuum hose and sure enough, about 3 inches from the pump the line has a split in it. I spliced in a new piece of hose and the problem was solved. We are now ready for Moab.

I am going to jump ahead in the timeline here. I will come back to our Moab trip later........ We had been home from Moab for about 2 weeks, up until now the weather had been very nice. Springtime in Utah can be idyllic at times. We had not needed to use the air-conditioning in the Jeep since we purchased it. While on a drive one late afternoon my wife mentions it is getting a bit warm and asks me to turn on the a/c. Being the dutiful husband that I am, I readily comply. We go a few miles down the road and I start to notice that there is no cold air emerging from the ducts. Say it isn't so, it can't be another problem, no way in **** can it be another problem. Well it was another problem.

We pulled in the driveway and shut off the engine. The wife went into the house and I set about opening the hood to have myself a look-see. With the hood open I was greeted by frozen a/c lines. I say frozen, but both lines as well as the receiver/dryer were covered with about 1/8" of frost. I'm no a/c expert but even I know that is not the way things should be. I start the engine to see what, if anything was out of the ordinary. The fan is spinning, no obstructions in front of the condenser or radiator. I look closer at the compressor and notice that the clutch is engaged and not cycling as it normally would. Hmmm, now what. I reach inside and turn the controls to the off position, the clutch is still engaged. I then locate the fuse for the compressor and pull it out. The compressor stops compressing. It is getting too late in the day to do anymore diagnosis so I stop for the night.

At this time the Jeep has the replacement ECU supplied to us by ECU Team. I really have no idea if the a/c worked before changing out the ECU. Luckily I still had the original computer. I retrieved the original, swapped it out and plugged the fuse back in. With the original computer in place the a/c compressor cycled on and off. It was cycling fairly rapidly which indicated to me that the refrigerant was low. We had been operating the Jeep for three and a half months with the replacement ECU so the compressor was running the entire time. It had over pressurized the system and pushed out some of the refrigerant. To double check my diagnosis, I swapped the computers back and connected the replacement ECU, sure enough, the compressor started running constantly again. I also unbolted the control panel from the dash and checked the plug and wiring on the back side. It all checked good, nothing broken or melted.

I removed the fuse for the compressor and tossed it into the glove box. I went into the house, pulled out the paperwork from ECU Team and sat down to start making a warranty claim. When purchased I was verbally told that there was a one year warranty. The invoice and other papers stated the same. I sent off an email detailing the situation, my diagnosis and asking for them to warranty the faulty ECU and send me one that worked properly.

To be continued:
I’m loving this. I’m seeing it all play out in my mind like a dramatic docu-series on Netflix. Love the jeep, great color selection 🤓

Chris,
Thanks for moving this over to a new thread.
I will apologize for getting carried away and posting things that were outside the intent of the Wrangler Fix thread. I did not set out to hijack the thread but that sure as heck is what happened. Please pardon my interruption.

Chris,
Thanks for moving this over to a new thread.
I will apologize for getting carried away and posting things that were outside the intent of the Wrangler Fix thread. I did not set out to hijack the thread but that sure as heck is what happened. Please pardon my interruption.
Keep it going here! Most of us love to read :)

I am going to tell a story here about my first encounter with a Jeep. This took place as near as I can remember in the fall of 1969. I was in high school at the time.

The neighbor that lived across the cow pasture behind our house, I say it was a pasture because we had bovines when I was a young man. It was my responsibility to milk both cows each morning before school. Anyway back to the neighbor, he had purchased a used Jeep. It was most likely a early 60's CJ-5. I can't say for sure, it has been too long. But the thing I do remember about it was, the small block Chevy engine crammed under the hood.

The neighbor, Reed, would stop and pick me up each morning and give me a ride to school. We lived a bit too far away from the school to walk, but not far enough to ride the school bus. As a Sophomore, I certainly did not want to be seen riding the bus anyway. The Jeep was pretty fast but also quite sketchy in the handling and braking. The person that did the engine swap apparently never did get the clutch linkage sorted out very well. The Jeep would shudder and jerk every time it moved from a stop. Reed didn't mind it a bit, the thing was "cool" transportation back in the day.

The day of the incident, it was still early fall and we were using it without a top. It was the end of the school day and there were four of us walking through the parking lot toward the Jeep. Reed had offered to give two of our buddies a ride home that day. I was about 10 paces behind the others as we approached the vehicle. Just then some of our other friends went roaring by in a Mustang while yelling out the window, calling us a bunch of slow pokes. We all starting running for the Jeep as fast as we could. The others got there before I did. Reed and JR had already occupied the front seats. There was no back seat. Dana had jumped in the back and just lowering himself to sit on the wheel well as I threw in my gym bag. I placed my hand on the back corner of the tub and launched myself upward, much like one would put a hand on a fence post when jumping over barbwire.

The engine fired up just as my feet were touching down in the back. The clutch grabbed and I found myself being launched out much higher and faster than I had gone in. I landed on my left shoulder and left side of my head. Reed got about a hundred feet away before Dana could get his attention and tell him to stop. A little blood on my ear, as well as some road rash on my shoulder and upper arm was the extent of my bodily injuries. The laughter and teasing from my friends lasted longer than the pain.

Some time later I tried driving the Jeep. I am 6'7'' and my legs are disproportionately long. I have to get pants with a 38" inseam. I could not operate the pedals and get clearance around the steering wheel. Early Jeeps are just too small for me. That is why I had to wait until the LJ was introduced to get a Jeep. They finally built one I could fit in.