Bike Mounts for TJs

Justin Homan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I cant be the only one on here that enjoys mountain biking as well ad Jeeping. I am wanting to make the switch from a hardtail to a full suspension mountain bike. My current setup works well for my old diamondback but im not sure how well it would work with the rear suspension. How do yall transport your bikes?

I was thinking about switching to a bumper with a hitch or reinstalling the original hitch off the Jeep and doing a receiver mounted rack. What are your thoughts?
4ABE1D3E-5C1E-4F92-BB21-798EA67FE580.jpeg

I use a basic hitch mounted rack. They're very common and work well. I can put it in the front or back hitch and on any other vehicle. I can also use the front/rear receivers for cargo racks or trailers

Reactions: Justin Homan
I use a dirt worx rear bumper (heavy) and a 1up usa receiver rack (light) with good results. The rack isn't cheap but it's easy on full suspension bikes and stable.

Thanks yall! Sounds like ill be installing my old hitch and finding a receiver mounted one then. One i have now may work but its honestly kinda sketchy with the 35 as it barely fits.

I think the best way to support a bike is by its tires. Hitch receivers can do this well. On weird-shaped full-suspension frames it's kinda the only option.

IMG_20170827_072048.jpg

I made the switch to a hitch mounted platform rack recently too.
I got tired of my racks that hold the frame scratching my bikes. The platform is WAY better than the frame mounted ones.

Kuat, Thule, Yakima, OneUp, they are all good. Pricey, but then when you consider your hauling a bike worth 2k+, not so bad.

I've got basically the same spare tire rack as you do. I'd prefer a hitch-mounted rack, but my TJ has a 1 1/4" receiver and all the racks I've found are 2".

I've got basically the same spare tire rack as you do. I'd prefer a hitch-mounted rack, but my TJ has a 1 1/4" receiver and all the racks I've found are 2".
This one fits a 1-1/4" receiver and holds either 2 or 4 bikes depending upon if the extensions are installed.
I bought it for the 2/4 capacity feature. I like it except that it has a lot of slop in a 2" receiver with the adapter. That shouldn't be a problem with a 1-1/4" receiver.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6P9O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

So you could run 4 bikes on a 1-1/4 receiver with this model.

Last edited:
I used to use a spare mounted rack that clamped the top tube. I managed to carry my full suspension bike that way but it depends on where the shock mounts and was always a pain to get the bike on. When I upgraded to a carbon bike, the only way to go was a platform mount that holds the tires. The One-up rack has been superb. I like how light and low profile it is in the single bike configuration. I have it mounted to a Warn rear bumper with the integrated receiver and frame tie-ins. Clearance to the spare is tight so you may need an extender but I really like how compact everything is.

C7A2EA7A-6755-4AA3-BB63-7B021957A2A3.jpeg

1up usa has both sizes for 1-2 bikes. 3+ they only sell 2". You probably wont find any 1 1/4" tray style bike racks for more than 2 bikes.

You could also use or may even need a 1 1/4 to 2" coupler/extender depending on your spare tire size.

I also use a Yakima spare tire mount rack. Easy to use and sturdy and I got mine brand new for $50 on FB marketplace (MSRP $300). Keep an eye out they usually appear on craigslist, marketplace, etc.

I kinda like the vertical racks for how narrow a TJ is. We haven't built ours yet, but soon.
I have a tailgate pad for my Taco and we just throw bikes in the bed.
Personally, I'd be scared strapping a $2k or more bike to a spare tire.
My kid's bike cost (him) more than his TJ:LOL:

Hitch mount 1 Up carrier is a good set up if your serious about mountain biking.
A bit spendy but worth it if your bike is almost as expensive as your Jeep 😂.

Extremely happy with the Yakima Spare Ride bike rack. Easy install and is snug against the frame of the bike. Definitely worth the price.

Look up 1up-usa. Best damn hitch mounted racks available. I really like mine. Super light, very easy to put the bike on and off, and very nicely made. I just bought an extension to carry a 2nd bike. All made in the USA.

MVIMG_20180803_195504.jpg

IMG_20180803_195514.jpg

IMG_20180803_195534.jpg

IMG_20180803_195526.jpg

Last edited: