Bimini top questions

BradD

I have a 2004 rubicon and a bimini top for an older model tj that was given to me. Do I just need to order a header for the windshield to make this work. Previous owner had a drilled in channel, but can I make a no drill header work with this style top?

In my opinion after having owned both styles, the drill-type header is superior to the no-drill style. It's faster to use and more secure. I installed a drill-style header into my previous '97 TJ and loved it. Then on my '04 I first went with the no-drill style but quickly learned to hate its slower more difficult to use design when compared to the easy and quick slide-in from the side design of the drill-style. I converted my '04 to the drill-style header and love it. The plastic trim around the windshield has to be temporarily removed, it just snaps on and off, but it's an easy job.

I remember thinking I was going to need an angle grinder to cut some sections of the channel out, or maybe I was mounting it too low?

I dunno what could have caused those issues, it mounts right up onto a 2004 once the plastic trim has been temporarily removed. This is a terrible photo but the part circled with yellow shows part of my drill-style header under the plastic trim. It seats flat against the inside edge of the windshield frame, it doesn't go on top like some think it does. The angled sections like on the right in the second photo fit together in the center to go over the top of the mirror.

header.jpg

CIMG3900.JPG

P.S. Now that I think back I think I did have to use an angle grinder for a little more clearance where it's two pieces fit together over the footman loop. I hit it with a little satin black Rustoleum afterward where I used the grinder.

i have a smittybuilt bimini top and their bolt on header. it’s simple and it works is all i can say.