Bit of a confession

4Lo4Sho

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Sooooo, Anyone else here buy their TJ with the utmost, heartfelt intent to IMMEDIATELY go and do hardcore off-road stuff, and then realize that simply driving down the road, or to work, or to the nearest dirt road...is pretty damn fun, in and of itself?

More extensive off-roading is definitely on our agenda - our Ready Brute Elite 2 tow bar is on order, as we speak, so we can flat tow out to some cool spots later in the year (Have to drive a fair bit from where we are, to find some trails.) but having my last two (Willys) jeeps be rigs that just sat in the garage waiting to be worked on for literally YEARS - I'm still stoked on a how fun and practical the TJ has been in comparison.

I've also noticed, women, gals, ladies, etc. LOVE riding in a topless rig. My bride literally helped me chuck the hardtop THAT evening, when I asked if she wanted to go see Christmas lights w/o the encumbrance of a top. She and my daughters were so stoked. She doesn't much like being in the drivers seat, preferring instead to drive her pickup, but she's all about being a passenger whenever I go run an errand in the Jeep.

Not exactly earthshattering, i know, but I think i was surprised at how much satisfaction ordinary everyday driving duties have brought me/us. :)

IMG_7158.JPG

I enjoy getting over obstacles with my buddies, but I probably love just driving it even more. My wife insists we only wheel them so we can break stuff and then spend all our time fixing them. She's not wrong. A TJ is a true triple-threat.

Sooooo, Anyone else here buy their TJ with the utmost, heartfelt intent to IMMEDIATELY go and do hardcore off-road stuff, and then realize that simply driving down the road, or to work, or to the nearest dirt road...is pretty damn fun, in and of itself?

More extensive off-roading is definitely on our agenda - our Ready Brute Elite 2 tow bar is on order, as we speak, so we can flat tow out to some cool spots later in the year (Have to drive a fair bit from where we are, to find some trails.) but having my last two (Willys) jeeps be rigs that just sat in the garage waiting to be worked on for literally YEARS - I'm still stoked on a how fun and practical the TJ has been in comparison.

I've also noticed, women, gals, ladies, etc. LOVE riding in a topless rig. My bride literally helped me chuck the hardtop THAT evening, when I asked if she wanted to go see Christmas lights w/o the encumbrance of a top. She and my daughters were so stoked. She doesn't much like being in the drivers seat, preferring instead to drive her pickup, but she's all about being a passenger whenever I go run an errand in the Jeep.

Not exactly earthshattering, i know, but I think i was surprised at how much satisfaction ordinary everyday driving duties have brought me/us. :)

View attachment 513395

Where in Socal are you located? I'm in OC, maybe we can get out on the trails sometime soon.

Reactions: 4Lo4Sho
I'm with y'all. I really enjoy just riding around in my mostly stock LJR. I get a kick out of all the kids waving at me and seeing their reactions when I wave back. I never wanted to go rock crawling, but I do go to Padre Island two or three times a year and just cruise down the beach for 15 or 20 miles. Parked out there, having a snack, all alone with nature and after about an hour, here comes another TJ. Don't see many other types of vehicles on the southern end of the north island.

Numerous times I’ve gotten frustrated with issues with the Jeep and seriously considered just selling it. But then I take a ride in it … and that all goes away.

That said, my Jeep has been parked since it wouldn’t pass inspection last year 😥. I really need to get cranking on it and get it back on the road.

Reactions: Danarch and 4Lo4Sho
That's why I bought it. I was looking for a nice driver with no lift or maybe a small lift and 31s. Not sure how I ended up with 7" and 35s. But everyone likes cruising around in it!

Probably twice a week I just go out and drive the tj just to drive it. There’s about a 10 mile loop I like to do near me on evenings, after rush hour traffic has cleared out. Just do it because it’s fun and makes me happy. I usually get a funny look from my family when I say “I’m gonna go drive.” They’re the ones missing out…

Probably twice a week I just go out and drive the tj just to drive it. There’s about a 10 mile loop I like to do near me on evenings, after rush hour traffic has cleared out. Just do it because it’s fun and makes me happy. I usually get a funny look from my family when I say “I’m gonna go drive.” They’re the ones missing out…

Most people are not true driving enthusiasts, and only use cars as transportation.

People like us enjoy the driving experience which is reason enough for us to hop in the TJ for a joy ride. Count me in that club, especially once it's top off weather. 😎

I don’t get that you have to drive far for some nice wheeling. Just go East and you have some nice stuff in Anza Borrego. Go NE and there are nice trails in the San Jacinto Mts. Head North to the San Bernardino Mts. San Diego 4x4 club is very active and runs Tierra Del Sol every spring. It’s not like we live in Nebraska. We have a ton of local options. I’m blessed that there are great trails 20 min from my home. Being unencumbered by having to work, the wife and I will just jump in the TJ midweek and run the trails up to Big Bear for lunch.
It’s out there just Explore.

Normally I'm not inclined to believe I am the only one, or unique in certain situations, but I believe I am here 🙃

I learned to hate 70s and 80s Chrysler products working on them in the early 90s. And I worked at a Ford/ Lincoln/ Mercury/ Jeep dealer at one point and thanked baby Jesus I wasn't the dedicated Jeep tech.

I would never buy a Jeep, but I sort of adopted this one under unfortunate circumstances. So I will love it and take care of it the best I can.

I have daily driven topless and/or doorless junk, and at this point in my life no thanks. Hard top with doors and windows is awesome 😃

This is truly not my platform of choice, but its growing on me. Slowly. Like a fungus or something :D

I bought my first Jeep after getting stuck 30 miles from home in 2' of snow at 2am (work). Never happened again. I just enjoy going places that most vehicles can't. The trails I go on are too narrow for most other vehicles to use without tearing them up.

I don’t get that you have to drive far for some nice wheeling. Just go East and you have some nice stuff in Anza Borrego. Go NE and there are nice trails in the San Jacinto Mts. Head North to the San Bernardino Mts. San Diego 4x4 club is very active and runs Tierra Del Sol every spring. It’s not like we live in Nebraska. We have a ton of local options. I’m blessed that there are great trails 20 min from my home. Being unencumbered by having to work, the wife and I will just jump in the TJ midweek and run the trails up to Big Bear for lunch.
It’s out there just Explore.

No, You’re totally right. This being a confessional:), i guess my honest response is “been there done that”?

I’ve been ALL around AB, and Ocotillo wells. And our socal desert is not exactly my favorite area, so never really had a desire to wheel TDS.

The closest “alpine/pine tree” area is big bear which is about 2.5-3hrs away. That’s what we’re building our tow setup for so that we can comfortably do that drive when it’s time.

Pacific northwest/canada, Norcal, Moab(again), colorado, and even places like Kentucky/Arkansas are more our style. We just happen to live in the southwest-most spot in the us, but we dont let that stop us…lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucky and srimes
Right there with you.

Had a 1979 CJ7 with a Chevy 350.

Great fun but a lot like dating a nymphomaniac with a personality disorder.

A lot of fun in short bits but a PITA to actually live with.

So I bought a brand new JK.

Better car, but not a better Jeep.

Now I have the TJ and all is well.

Civil enough for normal driving, yet also tons of fun just tooling about.