Black Magic brake pads: Should I do the rear?

abdubitar1000

I purchase the black magic rotors and break pads for the front along with new calipers. Should I do the back brake pads? I don't have the money to do the rear is that stupid of me to do the front first. I hear squeaking every time i brake and I never changed the breaks . Doesnt a jeep break from the front should i just switch the rear brake pads with AutoZone shit for now or just leave them please help!!! I purchase the front shit already

The front handles 70ish percent of the braking. Did you look at the rear pads to see if they need to be replaced?

Even new brakes can squeal. Thats the point of the disc brake quiet stuff that comes with almost every set of brake pads. Certainly nothing specific to Jeeps. It's just the nature of the design.

I've replaced the front breaks on my Chevy Avalanche 2 or 3 times over it's 190k mile life. And I'm only just now going to need to replace the rear brakes. They've been inspected multiple times, but just didn't need it yet.

Last edited:
Im running BMB up front. NAPA drums in the rear were replaced 3 years ago. I am not in any hurry to change the rears as most of the braking comes from up front.

If you have never changed or looked at them, I would go ahead and replace the rear too, doesnt need to be BMB. Flush the entire system of the old fluid too

Even new brakes can squeal. Thats the point of the disc brake quiet stuff that comes with almost every set of brake pads. Certainly nothing specific to Jeeps. It's just the nature of the design.

I've replaced the front breaks on my Chevy Avalanche 2 or 3 times over it's 190k mile life. And I'm only just now going to need to replace the rear breaks. They've been inspected multiple times, but just didn't need it yet.
If the BMB pads make any noise whatsoever after they are broken in, there is something else going on. These pads are dead silent and the only way any noise happens is when there is a different underlying issue causing it.

Common causes are not fully broken in.
Upside down with the slot at the top.
Divots in the cast sliders the pads rest against.
Cracked pads from flexing the backer after it got hung in a divot.
Foreign object picked up and embedded in pad surface.
Bent dust shield making contact with the rotor.
Something trapped between rotor and dust shield.

Our pads have special anti squeal shims on them that work perfectly.

If the BMB pads make any noise whatsoever after they are broken in, there is something else going on. These pads are dead silent and the only way any noise happens is when there is a different underlying issue causing it.

Common causes are not fully broken in.
Upside down with the slot at the top.
Divots in the cast sliders the pads rest against.
Cracked pads from flexing the backer after it got hung in a divot.
Foreign object picked up and embedded in pad surface.
Bent dust shield making contact with the rotor.
Something trapped between rotor and dust shield.

Our pads have special anti squeal shims on them that work perfectly.

Are my BM pads upside down then?

Thanks, just wanted to confirm I was understanding before flipping them

Ok, so I've been having brake squeal after 5 years of flawless performance from my BM. After reading this post last week I flipped my pads (apparently upside down) to see if it resolved the problem. It did not, so I asked for clarification on what was up. While flipping the pads I took careful pictures to ask questions.

First, are these divots deep enough going to cause problems? and Is the paint on the slider a problem?

Then while carefully inspecting and cleaning the pad itself I found this:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a while back, I had not fully seated the pad and the first time I hit the brakes the caliper crushed the edge of this pin. Is it safe to assume that this is why my brakes squeal?

Ok, so I've been having brake squeal after 5 years of flawless performance from my BM. After reading this post last week I flipped my pads (apparently upside down) to see if it resolved the problem. It did not, so I asked for clarification on what was up. While flipping the pads I took careful pictures to ask questions.

First, are these divots deep enough going to cause problems? and Is the paint on the slider a problem?

View attachment 89531

Then while carefully inspecting and cleaning the pad itself I found this:

View attachment 89532

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a while back, I had not fully seated the pad and the first time I hit the brakes the caliper crushed the edge of this pin. Is it safe to assume that this is why my brakes squeal?
It certainly isn't going to help it not make noise.

• Haha
Reactions: MaloStapalo