Black twill upper half doors

glwood

Jeepless
Supporting Member
Discovered these when searching for upper doors for my TJR...I wonder how close they really are to the Bestop Black Twill soft top...

https://www.autotopsdirect.com/1997-2006-TJ-Wrangler-Upper-Doors-Black-Twill-p/10-40-tj09706-35.htm

10-40-TJ09706-35-2T.jpg

They also offer a top called 'Black Trilogy Acoustic Vinyl', which may be their version of the black twill top, but are not allowed to use that term by Bestop...I think the reason they can call the upper doors black twill is because Bestop doesn't make or offer those for a TJ.

10-40-TJ20306-35-UPPER-DOORS-2T.jpg

10-40-TJ20306-35-UPPER-DOORS-2T.jpg

Reactions: CM Scott and ac_
My understanding is that Sierra Offroad is owned by Bestop. It's their way of catering to the cheaper market (i.e. people who would normally buy a Smittybilt top).

That being said, I'm guessing they would be a perfect match!

My understanding is that Sierra Offroad is owned by Bestop. It's their way of catering to the cheaper market (i.e. people who would normally buy a Smittybilt top).

That being said, I'm guessing they would be a perfect match!
Thats good news! I cant wait to get them! I was a little hesitant, Sierra Offroad has an ebay site, but these uppers are the only thing they dont sell on ebay. Thought that was strange. So I did order them from their site via @glwood s link. Ill upload pics as soon as they get here.

Reactions: Chris
Thats good news! I cant wait to get them! I was a little hesitant, Sierra Offroad has an ebay site, but these uppers are the only thing they dont sell on ebay. Thought that was strange. So I did order them from their site via @glwood s link. Ill upload pics as soon as they get here.
Let us know how you end up liking them, and if they match the top!

Absolutely let us know when they arrive. If these match, or are reasonably close enough to the black twill top, it would open up a new avenue for TJ owners with half doors to get a twill top. Even if it means ordering the doors from a separate vendor than Bestop.

I was not aware of any link between Sierra Offroad and Bestop. I know they are related to Pavement Ends, though.

A buddy of mine needed some khaki upper doors to match his Bestop RAT when his upper doors got stolen. Sierra was the only vendor that had khaki upper half doors. Bestop stopped offering these years ago.

Quick update... I still have not received the uppers from auto tops direct... Been a month, and I can get no response from the company. Started a dispute in Paypal. Will update when I find out what happened. As of now, I would say stay away from them...

Reactions: glwood and Starrs
Same problem here: No twill from Bestop.
Mastertop has it in twill but does not sell separate from twill top. I emailed to verify if that was indeed the case, No response. I tried one of their Twill Tops, not a good fit, but the Twill doors fit very well, but had to return with the top and then ordered the Bestop, which fit like a glove.

I visited the site mentioned above, they still have it listed for sale but i was concerned about a portion of their description as follows:

"1997-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Factory OEM Replacement Soft Upper Doors
Sierra Offroad Black Twill Replacement Door Skin pair is designed as an OEM replacement both left and right doors that are torn, faded and worn. This door skin includes hook and loop fasteners and it is made from high endurance materials so very durable. It is custom designed to match the Sierra Offroad Black Twill Soft Top in style and quality. Door skins are sold in pairs.

ABOUT THE MATERIAL: Twill is a SIERRA OFFROAD exclusive material. It is a heavy weight automotive grade 2 ply composite material that has a cross hatch or twill pattern in the vinyl. The Twill pattern was specifically designed to imitate the luxury look of the cloth material used on high end luxury convertibles such as Mercedes Benz, Audi, Porsche and BMW."

Don't care for the way they worded whats in RED. Might just be vinyl with a twill pattern?

Reactions: glwood and CM Scott
I did noticed that wording, but figured for the price, even if that was the case, they would still look better than the ones I have...I guess I was more interested in the color matching up, as my current uppers are significantly lighter than the twill top. oh well, lesson learned, I just hope I can get my money back through paypal.

Well, it looks like we are back to square one with the Twill uppers... I finally got in touch with someone at GAHH LLC, which is where my paypal money went. They told me it was out of stock and didnt expect to get any. SO that sucks. At least I got my money back... I will keep looking...

Reactions: KCsTJ
So much for my "informative" thread. Another Twill upper half door dead end. Some vendors just suck...sorry to have given you false hope.

Reactions: CM Scott
No worries. I am going to keep sending Master Top emails till they respond.
Maybe try and talk them into selling just the twill door uppers which fit really well.
If I get any response I will post.

Here is a youtube I did on the Master Top

Is there any reason we couldn't go to a boat canvas top place and get them to make us twill uppers? Can't they get that material? It is on a lot of high end cars. Or if a boat place can't do it, can't a convertible top place make those damn uppers? I want them and probably will find a way. When I do, I will post it.