Blank switch has a wire attached

Healthyrx216

While I had my dash apart to install a new head unit I noticed that the blank switch panel has a wire harness attached to the furthest interior switch blank. To be clear i didn’t attach anything to it. It is a blank/immobile switch but there appears to be an oem harness connector going to the rear side of the blank and attached to the oem dash harness. Does anybody have any idea what it may be for?

ED93CBC8-D664-4A82-96A9-95D35F75FE21.jpeg

In my later model the overdrive switch was stored in the back of a blank, but I don't think the early model autos had that. My guess would be wiring for a hard top (either the wiper or defrost).

Reactions: TJ Jim
In my later model the overdrive switch was stored in the back of a blank, but I don't think the early model autos had that. My guess would be wiring for a hard top (either the wiper or defrost).

This is in a 97 2.5l manual which I believe came with a soft top from factory

This is in a 97 2.5l manual which I believe came with a soft top from factory

if they're used on a 97 the right one is fog lights if installed, the center one is wiper/washer if hard top and the left is rear window defogger ! the wires are for fog lights but yours didn't get ordered with that option but the harness is already there. if you dont believe me follow that wire and i'll bet ya it ends at a unused plug at the front grille !!! I've only owned 2 97's so I'm not sure about yours !

Last edited:
The wires are for factory options, my 06 has over drive cancel, rear wiper, and rear defrost switches there. The factory will make 1 dash harness to simplify production. The plug plugs into the blank to keep it from rattling against the dash if left loose.

The wires are for factory options, my 06 has over drive cancel, rear wiper, and rear defrost switches there. The factory will make 1 dash harness to simplify production. The plug plugs into the blank to keep it from rattling against the dash if left loose.

I think you are right and not right. There is only one wiring harness, but it is not made in the factory. Several years ago I was working a project and went to a 'plant' in Sugarland, TX that was filled with immigrant workers (mostly Vietnamese women). They were using plywood boards with pegs in them as guides to make automotive wiring harnesses. I never saw hands move that fast before, or after. Every harness was plugged into a test stand to verify that it contained all the wires and that the connectors were correct. I asked the manager about his failure rate and he told me it was a matter of pride to make a perfect harness every time and that their failure rate was less than 1 in a 1,000. That's pretty good for repetitive, manual work.

Right, thanks. I should have been more specific: since the OP’s is a 97 SE, I’m wondering what particular accessory it was for.

I think you are right and not right. There is only one wiring harness, but it is not made in the factory. Several years ago I was working a project and went to a 'plant' in Sugarland, TX that was filled with immigrant workers (mostly Vietnamese women). They were using plywood boards with pegs in them as guides to make automotive wiring harnesses. I never saw hands move that fast before, or after. Every harness was plugged into a test stand to verify that it contained all the wires and that the connectors were correct. I asked the manager about his failure rate and he told me it was a matter of pride to make a perfect harness every time and that their failure rate was less than 1 in a 1,000. That's pretty good for repetitive, manual work.

Yes the factory will design a component the sub contract the manufacturing to a vendor.