Boat sides

madcanvis

Just heard the term “boat sides”.
Well I’m going to have to deal with this (photo) on both sides of the tub.

My options are try my hand at welding some patches (i can weld flat bar stock, exhaust, yard equipment, etc- rough stuff) or “boat side” the tub. Iwill never rock crawl with it but will ride some moderate trails. Maybe tho these prefabricated rocker panels won’t come up high enough to adequately fix/remove the corroded areas. It def looks rad!

E5489DD1-CBF3-4BC5-9B07-97B9B8522471.jpeg

Just heard the term “boat sides”.
Well I’m going to have to deal with this (photo) on both sides of the tub.

My options are try my hand at welding some patches (i can weld flat bar stock, exhaust, yard equipment, etc- rough stuff) or “boat side” the tub. Iwill never rock crawl with it but will ride some moderate trails. Maybe tho these prefabricated rocker panels won’t come up high enough to adequately fix/remove the corroded areas. It def looks rad!

View attachment 193118
How bad is it? If it isn't terrible and it was me I'd likey grind it down to the metal, treat the rust with rust treatment paint, and install some sliders to cover the area such as the savvy units. They will more than cover that section.

Reactions: flyinfish
^ davescustoms is about the only place i could find a real boat side rocker.

what you have there is not a reason to chop the bottom of your tub away, but who am i to say what you like.

i plan to use those or replicate them, but 1 might want to restore the sheet metal to some degree b4 placing the heavy steel panels. those parts require a cut 4" up the body and 2" deep into it.

Reactions: JMT
Really bad.

Uploaded a new photo. It hasn’t busted thru yet but I live in Massachusetts. My previous 4runners have had similar and would poke thru by the end of the next winter (if that makes sense).
I can’t really tell how bad. I bet w/ a good jab f a screwdriver, I could punch thru.

So a “no” on boat sides.

Im hearing grind, treat, cover (maybe those fancy Rubicon Black diamond plate sliders that are always on CL).

Is that the recommended remedy over welding in a patch?

ABC347BA-4722-4BAC-97D2-30F6F8FDD2EF.jpeg

ya clean it up with a wire wheel 1st, if that doesn't get it all then go light with a flapper disk, that'll clean it.
the primer and paint. if you have some pitting and it bugs you some sliders will cover that area, but so would a skim coat of body filler (b4 the primer and paint of course).