Body Roll During Left Turn

steelhd

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
The Jeep handles like a slot car turning right but there is noticable body roll while turning left. I haven't dug in yet but am starting with the assumption that its probably time for a new set of springs. I'll take a look at the shocks too. Thoughts?

I would start by making sure the sway bar links are not broken, as for spring if they are sagging, you can meassure them on a flat surface and compare it to the specs the should be at

I would suggest adding a few details about your current set up (lift size, if you have something like anti-rock for the the front swaybar, etc)

I dont know much, however what little I do know, is that lifted TJ's with good flex have a tendency to lift the front tires on a turn.
Observe

However, it seems like that kinda of roll would be happening on both left and rights turns, so I don't know 🤷‍♂️

Be sure to check the swaybar bushing (front especially, but also rear)

Reactions: Steel City 06
If one sway bar link is broken, the sway bar doesn't work when turning either direction.

Is the right front shock in good shape?

Has an Antirock on the front and hasn't had a rear swaybar since I bought it. Until recently I didn't miss the rear and now only miss it a little bit while turning left :) It has 4 to 4-1/2" of lift, body lift, Fox 2.0 (no remote reservoir), tucked, triangulated double adjustable rear links, shock relocation, etc.

Shocks don't bounce or leak but that doesn't necessarily mean they are good.

Speaking of shocks, where do I find a part number on the Fox 2.0s? Ive poked around and don't see anything obvious. I'd like to know which ones I actually have and determine if they are rebuildable.

The only thing I can think of that would feel like body roll only to one side would be a seized shock.

Ever wonder why the front and rear track bars are mounted opposite? It’s to help reduce body roll. Could be because you don’t have a rear track bar the body roll is reduced in one direction only.

Ever wonder why the front and rear track bars are mounted opposite? It’s to help reduce body roll. Could be because you don’t have a rear track bar the body roll is reduced in one direction only.

Mine doesn't have a rear track bar either but the roll is still equal going either side.

Mine doesn't have a rear track bar either but the roll is still equal going either side.
And I don’t doubt that for a minute, my previous TJ had a triangulated rear and also felt equally stable while turning. Just throwing out ideas on what could cause it.

And I don’t doubt that for a minute, my previous TJ had a triangulated rear and also felt equally stable while turning. Just throwing out ideas on what could cause it.

If the problem really is as described, it isn't specifically because of the rear 4 link or the lack of a rear sway bar.

Most of the Fox shocks can be recharged and rebuilt.

Is the sway bar on the same setting on each side? Setting it at different holes will cause asymmetric handling, because the total force on each link will not be the same for the same deflection

Reactions: Goatman
Most of the Fox shocks can be recharged and rebuilt.

Is the sway bar on the same setting on each side? Setting it at different holes will cause asymmetric handling, because the total force on each link will not be the same for the same deflection
The Antirock is equally set. And last night I found a sticker verifying that they are the Performance model and found rebuild kits. Guess I'll give that a try.

Reactions: Steel City 06
The Antirock is equally set. And last night I found a sticker verifying that they are the Performance model and found rebuild kits. Guess I'll give that a try.
Fox also has a professional rebuild service. I suspect shock tuners like @pcoplin (Full Stack) or Accutune would rebuild and tune them as well. Tuning them during/after a rebuild would probably be even better than just rebuilding them

I would put the rear antisway bar back in. I would also (on a good level surface) disconnect one side of the antilock to confirm they are not pre-pushing the bar. If the bar is pre-adjusted so that the links are pushing/pulling on the antisway bar it will induse soft flex in one direction of lean (left) and hard flex in the other.
Also, they swapping the left and right front shocks. If the bias switches sides then you can be sure they need some attention.