Bolt Specs

mjonesjr84

WTF was that?
Supporting Member
Anyone know the thread size and pitch for this bolt? I need to get a piece of all thread to keep the nuts from falling when I install the light bracket.

20240526_135931.jpg

Anyone know the thread size and pitch for this bolt? I need to get a piece of all thread to keep the nuts from falling when I install the light bracket.

View attachment 529856

My .02c, but don’t ruin those. Every time someone messes with those bolts the Jeep deteriorates around them. Lights can go in the front bumper or a hoop.

Reactions: mjonesjr84
For my curiosity, why do you say that?

Because the paint around the bolts almost always chips and then people typically install an allen head bolt. Then they go to remove it one day and the head strips, but they used heat to try to remove it and then it ruins the paint more. One of many scenarios I’ve seen. If you’re going to do it, know how to paint under the bolt and don’t use allen head bolts. Get an 82* conical #4 Phillips 5/16-18. Don’t replace the hinged bolt (which is irreplaceable).

Because the paint around the bolts almost always chips and then people typically install an allen head bolt. Then they go to remove it one day and the head strips, but they used heat to try to remove it and then it ruins the paint more. One of many scenarios I’ve seen. If you’re going to do it, know how to paint under the bolt and don’t use allen head bolts. Get an 82* conical #4 Phillips 5/16-18. Don’t replace the hinged bolt (which is irreplaceable).
I've also got brackets to go on the front lower 2 bolts instead. Would that be a better spot?

I've had all of mine out without using heat or cracking paint.

20240526_183640.jpg

I've also got brackets to go on the front lower 2 bolts instead. Would that be a better spot?

I've had all of mine out without using heat or cracking paint.

View attachment 529982

I try to stay away from those bolts and the hinge, but you do you. That are is just very visible and any imperfections seem glaring. I see the cowl already lost its paint, so…🙁

I try to stay away from those bolts and the hinge, but you do you. That are is just very visible and any imperfections seem glaring. I see the cowl already lost its paint, so…🙁
Yea the paint on the cowl was like that when I bought it. Luckily there isn't any rust on the body. Debating on Raptor lining the outside or having it painted.

Reactions: JMT
I removed the side bolts for aftermarket side view mirror brackets. I beleive the 5/16 x 18 is correct. I took one down to Ace to find a matching bolt. One of my stripped, had to drill it out and extract it. I used stainless steel when I replaced them. Ended up replacing all of them as the OEM were too short to go through the bracket and catch the threads. Mine didn’t seem to damage the surrounding paint.

Where do you buy the 82* conical #4 Phillips 5/16-18? [My googling shows places that want to sell in large quantities.] TIA.