Bought a new handgun last week

The XD is a great gun. Much more accurate than the Glock when match shooting. The Glock will shoot no matter how clean or how much gummed up. I own several 1911s and Glocks. Was in law enforcement for 43 years (retired in July) and think you made a wise choice for a shooter and a dependable gun.

They say that if ya know how many guns ya got, ya don't have enough. I sorta fall into that category. I have shot competitively for almost 40 years. Shot on my Army battalion and division teams in the 1970's. Shot on my department team in the 80's & 90's. And shoot for fun and teach a little now. The best gun in the world is the one you got with you when you need it. Mostly I CC a Colt Defender daily in .45. The reason I carry a .45 is they don't make a .46's :) .... LOL

Springfield XD .45 4" barrel automatic. I hadn't bought any new guns in the last 10 years so I figured it was time.

View attachment 7393

At only $469, this one was pretty inexpensive for a semi-automatic pistol plus it has pretty much all rave reviews. I don't get to pick it up until Tuesday & I can't wait. I was convinced I was going to buy a 1911 .45 or perhaps a .40 or 10mm before a few friends mentioned how expensive that ammo is. Not to mention everyone carries .45 but not always 10mm (that's a cannon!) or .40.

Anyway, I'm happy the wife suggested I buy myself a new pistol after she discovered I was "borrowing" her Ruger .357 when I went wheeling on long weekends, leaving her gunless. What's funny is that Ruger .357 was pretty much her wedding gift. Hey, it's what she wanted.

I have plenty of other rifles, shotguns, and other pistols but this is my first automatic pistol so I'm jonesing to shoot it! :D

Nice! I have the same gun, except mine has the shorter grip. When I put the 10 rd. mag in it, it is the same length.
Definitely a good shooting gun, I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Reactions: Chris
Springfield XD .45 4" barrel automatic. I hadn't bought any new guns in the last 10 years so I figured it was time.

View attachment 7393

At only $469, this one was pretty inexpensive for a semi-automatic pistol plus it has pretty much all rave reviews. I don't get to pick it up until Tuesday & I can't wait. I was convinced I was going to buy a 1911 .45 or perhaps a .40 or 10mm before a few friends mentioned how expensive that ammo is. Not to mention everyone carries .45 but not always 10mm (that's a cannon!) or .40.

Anyway, I'm happy the wife suggested I buy myself a new pistol after she discovered I was "borrowing" her Ruger .357 when I went wheeling on long weekends, leaving her gunless. What's funny is that Ruger .357 was pretty much her wedding gift. Hey, it's what she wanted.

I have plenty of other rifles, shotguns, and other pistols but this is my first automatic pistol so I'm jonesing to shoot it! :D

How is it holding up for you Jerry? Pros/Cons to the purchase?

How is it holding up for you Jerry? Pros/Cons to the purchase?
Perfectly Scott. The only issues were feed issues from a batch of local reloads I bought. No problems since switching away from that reloader. Installed a trigger kit my son gave me for Christmas, really a nice shooter now.

I love pistols...I've got a couple wheels, couple semi-autos. Fun stuff. Friend of mine has the XD9, and that thing just shoots...no matter what. Nice gun. I've got a S&W Shield in .40 and used to have a M&P compact in 40 (the compact was a bit heavy to carry daily). I also have a Springfield 1911 mil-spec that has been "massaged" a bit. It is, by far, my favorite gun I own. For a backup carry, or when I need dumb simple, I have an air-weight S&W 38. Tiny little thing, easy to hide, but difficult to shoot accurately. Tiny gun equals tiny site radius.

Never been a fan of Glocks, but my dad picked one up and now that I've shot a few rounds, I get why they are popular. I personally don't like the grip angle, but when you are shooting them, it just works.

I think my next pistol will be a 357 Mag N or K frame with a 5" barrel.

The first pistol I bought was a glock 21 but now a days its rarely the gun I find myself picking up. The most recent gun I bought was a springfield 1911 TRP and that thing is my favorite pistol I own. That said I still love shooting my ruger .22 pistol. I used to own a Sig Sauer Mosquito .22 pistol and that was also fun because it was 90% the size of a P226. The .22 are cheap to shoot and I don't need to pick up the brass to reload later.

Ive been jonsing to get a 1911. Ive shot my buddies 1911 a few times (I believe it was a springfield), and it just felt right in my hands. I picked up a Ruger American 9mm a couple years ago, and it has done everything I have asked of it. Its very accurate, no jams in the 700 rounds Ive put thru it. It did seem to slow down a bit after firing 300 rounds and not cleaning it. I always have it when I go to the mountains.

Ive been jonsing to get a 1911. Ive shot my buddies 1911 a few times (I believe it was a springfield), and it just felt right in my hands. I picked up a Ruger American 9mm a couple years ago, and it has done everything I have asked of it. Its very accurate, no jams in the 700 rounds Ive put thru it. It did seem to slow down a bit after firing 300 rounds and not cleaning it. I always have it when I go to the mountains.
Ruger makes some great guns. I have the compact version of your 9mm and that is my go to for the mountains.
Edit. SR9c so not exactly the same.

View attachment 7393

10mm isn't that bad, but it is more than your standard .45.

I buy my ammo from Underwood (aside from the M1 Garand .30-06 I get from the CMP in 200rd boxes - even have a box of black tip). I get my 10mm and 6.8mm SPC ammo from them.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/cartridge_10mm-auto

I have a Rock Island Armory 1911 in 10mm single-stack. I'd tell you how it performs but I've only ever fired one round through it. lol

Apparently I'd reassembled it incorrectly and the first shot messed something up and I sent it in for repairs and got it back. Haven't put a round through it since. Haven't done much shooting in a long time - mostly as it's a pain to find somewhere worthwhile to shoot down here. The free range is only 100yd and my target needs replacing.

20357118515_8d827bbd2b_h.jpg