Brainstorm for camping in the TJ

lol, hey don't get me started on lonely Kiwis and sheep
Hey, leave my girlfriend outta this !! lol
sheep.jpg

That's what I have. '98 Sport w/ Hard Top. The build sheet stated it came with the Dana 44 Rear, and the 30" Tire Group. I am still stock except for the sound bar, and Banks Power Pack I installed. Thinking about practicality, function, and looks. I keep seeing how so many members like what they have done but if they could do it all over again, keep it more basic / stock, not so MOD'ed out. Thinking about a 2" - 3" lift with appropriate size sneakers, and if I come across a Dana 44 front pumpkin throw that on. Then just basic safety upgrades on steering and big brakes. Keeping in mind I want it to drive smoothly since it is my 1st daily driver. I am making the 2nd daily driver a Wrangler JLU Sahara Overlander. I look forward to trade ideas and advice. Just like you enjoying the stock ruggedness, and really contemplating the upgrades to make sure I am not wasting money on upgrades I will not like or want down the road.
I was born in Guntersville, live 20 minutes from there now .

You are thinking right . You are welcome to meet and drive mine sometime , has a 4” lift and 33” tires ...which is more than you want I realize.

Whatever you , don’t mess up how it drives . That ruins them .

Reactions: Chief Brohician
From what Im reading it sounds like your raising the floor to just above the wheel well, to give you storage underneath and a bed to lay on.....you may want to take out the passenger front seat and build out where that would have been. At least then you have a longer place to lie down.
I didn't know that was thing. Mistakes done daily. That's why I am slow on the MOD's.

I was born in Guntersville, live 20 minutes from there now .

You are thinking right . You are welcome to meet and drive mine sometime , has a 4” lift and 33” tires ...which is more than you want I realize.

Whatever you , don’t mess up how it drives . That ruins them .
That is freaking AUsome. I am currently deployed. Should be back around closer to the end of the year-ish. Have you ever been to Main Channel Brewery in Guntersville?

Reactions: DrDmoney
Do you guys have swags over there? They are bulky rolled up but it is your tent, mattress and bedding in one roll. I can throw one in the back of the Jeep with a fridge, backpack and chair and I'm good for the weekend. Really nice to sleep in too.

A few, but they're not usually made very well...and getting one from your corner of the world is difficult because nobody wants to import them.

When I was a young-in my camping system consisted of a cooler of beer and a bottle of tequila. If by the end of the night I was cold, damp, sweaty, etc. then it was time for the tequila to come out. We (the other guys and gals too!) Just slept under the stars. Get too cold and you find a spooning partner. Rain meant slid under the Jeep. Those days are long gone. I dont think I could fit all my prescriptions I have to take behind the back seat anymore. And I KNOW that the dog I have now wont sleep in less than an Airstream. Boy is she spoiled. Boy am I old. Camping is a younger man's game. I am truly amazed how much you guys can pack into a Jeep. P.S. ... they make a hammock mount that fits into the 2" tow mount that goes from left to right across the back. Get o e of those hammocks that have a roof and bug screen all around and you are set up in 5 minutes or less.

• Haha
Do you guys have swags over there? They are bulky rolled up but it is your tent, mattress and bedding in one roll. I can throw one in the back of the Jeep with a fridge, backpack and chair and I'm good for the weekend. Really nice to sleep in too.

View attachment 99238

I've not seen these in the States, but have seen that Ronny Dahl and his crew all use them regularly. Also noticed on an episode the other day how big and bulky it was and thought it wouldn't work in the limited space I have. I didn't realize, however, that the bed roll was built into it. Those guys all seem to have bigger rigs though to some extent or another.

Not that I have seen in the wild, but I just looked at one on Amazon. Good reviews, looks like something I would like.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DTZP7LY/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Kodiak is made in Chineseia; that may matter to some. I like tent-cots, but going from the pictures, the cot is separate. Is that accurate?

OzTent makes a Chineseian tent-cot, if I recall correctly. Never seen one in person, though.

Reactions: zebra12
Kodiak is made in Chineseia; that may matter to some. I like tent-cots, but going from the pictures, the cot is separate. Is that accurate?

OzTent makes a Chineseian tent-cot, if I recall correctly. Never seen one in person, though.

All the ones I’ve seen are separate, I bought one for camping trips in the wife’s JKUHR, haven’t used it yet but I did set it up and let the dogs play in it. It’s a double wide cot and it’s not very compact but I knew that when I bought it and her rig has plenty of room.

6B4CAE08-EBF3-456A-A859-7995F058CCBC.jpeg

Reactions: zebra12
Reactions: Kiwi TJ