Brake bleeding problem

iKrea

So i’m not sure what the issue is but I did a full brake overhaul tried to bleed the lines, when i finally finished, with their car on the brakes feel super spongy and the pedal almost has a sponge sound to it, my brand new rotors and pads brake very… Okay, no improvements and if not probably worse than before, so then I try to re bleed the front brakes with my father, left side was good it flushed a few bubbles then got a constant flow, however the front right side when i try to flush, I get a quick good stream coming out, then some bubbles and then it’s just air with nothing coming out we tried to pump and flush about 17 times and it’s always the same thing so now i’m not sure what the issue could be since there’s no leak on the lines I see and it’s not happening to the left side.

What procedure did you follow? Were you careful to avoid introducing air into the system as you were bleeding the brakes? Normally I believe you start with the corner that is furthest from the master cylinder.

I followed a video and started from the front driver side 😭, would that be the issue of low brake pressure? i just re flushed it again and the spongy feeling is nearly worse, my process at first was a quick bleeder kit hose attached to nipple, have someone pump it about 5-7 times and then open the nipple les the fluid go then close and repeat until i see no air.

I followed a video and started from the front driver side 😭, would that be the issue of low brake pressure? i just re flushed it again and the spongy feeling is nearly worse, my process at first was a quick bleeder kit hose attached to nipple, have someone pump it about 5-7 times and then open the nipple les the fluid go then close and repeat until i see no air.

You need to fill master cylinder put cover back on and have someone sit in Jeep to pump up brake pedal when you tell them to and hold down brake pedal when you tell them too. Start with right rear have them pump it up and hold down and wait to you close bleeder before pumping up again, continue process until you end up at right front last. Always keeping a check on brake fluid while not pumping of course (letting it run out will just reintroduce air back in).

You need to fill master cylinder put cover back on and have someone sit in Jeep to pump up brake pedal when you tell them to and hold down brake pedal when you tell them too. Start with right rear have them pump it up and hold down and wait to you close bleeder before pumping up again, continue process until you end up at right front last. Always keeping a check on brake fluid while not pumping of course (letting it run out will just reintroduce air back in).

Okay thank you, I was doing that exactly as you said but I was going from front left and would finish at left rear, do you think that could be why my pedals are spongy

Okay thank you, I was doing that exactly as you said but I was going from front left and would finish at left rear, do you think that could be why my pedals are spongy

Yes! Definitely need to start from right rear (passenger side rear) and work your way to right front (passenger side front) make sure your pumper is holding down when you open bleeder and waiting to you close it until he starts pumping up again.

Reactions: iKrea
If you've introduced air to the system, You may need to bleed the master again. When I do major work to my brakes, I start with a Gravity bleed. I'll crack a bleeder open (always start pass rear) and wait until I have solid flow there. Then move around to all calipers (Pass rear, Driver Rear, Pass Front, Driver Front). Once that is done, I do a pressure bleed. Don't "pump" the brake, then hold, then open the bleeder. Pump the brakes to get wheel cylinders full. Then crack the bleeder and have your helper enthusiastically stomp on the brake pedal and hold it down. Close the bleeder, refill the wheel cylinder, and repeat until you get good flow free of bubbles. That should give you a firm pedal. Drive it, then do the pressure bleed again after 24 hours.

I’d order it but it would take a while to get here and this is my daily driver, in the meantime it gets here, from what i understand when i bleed my brakes the parking light is on, but when i press it down it goes off and then goes back on, that’s normal right?
Not normal at all.

So i’m not sure what the issue is but I did a full brake overhaul tried to bleed the lines, when i finally finished, with their car on the brakes feel super spongy and the pedal almost has a sponge sound to it, my brand new rotors and pads brake very… Okay, no improvements and if not probably worse than before, so then I try to re bleed the front brakes with my father, left side was good it flushed a few bubbles then got a constant flow, however the front right side when i try to flush, I get a quick good stream coming out, then some bubbles and then it’s just air with nothing coming out we tried to pump and flush about 17 times and it’s always the same thing so now i’m not sure what the issue could be since there’s no leak on the lines I see and it’s not happening to the left side.

Full overhaul means lots of things to lots of folks. What exactly did you replace?

If you've introduced air to the system, You may need to bleed the master again. When I do major work to my brakes, I start with a Gravity bleed. I'll crack a bleeder open (always start pass rear) and wait until I have solid flow there. Then move around to all calipers (Pass rear, Driver Rear, Pass Front, Driver Front). Once that is done, I do a pressure bleed. Don't "pump" the brake, then hold, then open the bleeder. Pump the brakes to get wheel cylinders full. Then crack the bleeder and have your helper enthusiastically stomp on the brake pedal and hold it down. Close the bleeder, refill the wheel cylinder, and repeat until you get good flow free of bubbles. That should give you a firm pedal. Drive it, then do the pressure bleed again after 24 hours.

So i’m currently doing a gravity bleed, i was getting good flow no air in the rear right side same for the left rear and the front left but the right side just has nothing coming out

And by this do you mean i crack it open, i have him pump the pedal a few times enthusiastically and then hold it down and i open the bleeder or i just keep the bleeder cracked open, make sure there’s fluid in the master and let him have at it for a while?

Here’s a video link to anyone curious

And by this do you mean i crack it open, i have him pump the pedal a few times enthusiastically and then hold it down and i open the bleeder or i just keep the bleeder cracked open, make sure there’s fluid in the master and let him have at it for a while?

No…I mean you pump the pedal with the system closed. Then tell him to stop. Crack the bleeder and have him give the pedal a good push…like panic stop good push. When his foot hits the floor, it stays there until you close the bleeder and tell him to lift back up.

Also, it sounds like you may have a plugged line or open line on that front caliper that doesn’t keep fluid in it. Check all over for wet spots.

No…I mean you pump the pedal with the system closed. Then tell him to stop. Crack the bleeder and have him give the pedal a good push…like panic stop good push. When his foot hits the floor, it stays there until you close the bleeder and tell him to lift back up.

Also, it sounds like you may have a plugged line or open line on that front caliper that doesn’t keep fluid in it. Check all over for wet spots.

So i went to my good trusted filipino mechanic friend, (hes an actual mechanic with his shop) and I was told it was the master cylinder that was mad, so i will be replacing that and get back to you guys when I do