Brake Gremlins

Tim Graham

Ok guys ..... I'm being haunted with gremlins somewhere in my brake system, and instead of throwing money at it like I have been for the past week, I wanted to run it buy a few more ears in case I'm missing something. I know we have some brake guru's in here.

At some point in the past year, I picked up a little wobble in one of my front rotors. It would shimmy and shake when I was coming to a stop. I finally broke down and replaced the pads and rotors about 2 months ago. All was well for a month or so, and I had 0 problems with them.

About a week after my last outing, which including a couple shallow water crossings, and trails, nothing serious, I was on the interstate and the jeep made a sudden, hard pull to the right. I could tell I had a caliper that hadn't released. Not sure of which side it was, I pulled the pads, calipers, and rotors on both wheels. I cleaned them, checked for foreign debris, and reinstalled them. Test drive seemed fine that evening and the 14 mile drive to work the next morning had no issue. On the way home, it reappeared, This time much worse. The brakes had almost completely seized.

After pulling the pads again on both sides, I noticed the left front had some wear on the pads, so I thought I had found my culprit. Thinking I had a caliper that had failed, I replaced both sides with new calipers. I bleed the brakes, saw no issue, and buttoned it all back up.

Fast forward another week, and on the drive home last night, I noticed that all to familiar smell of burning brakes. There was no sign of drag, the Jeep rolls normal, and there was no pulling to either side during braking or driving.

This morning, on the way in to the office, again I started to smell brakes at interstate speed, and began to notice the jeep wanting to veer to the right ever so slightly while driving. There is still no drag feeling, and no noticeable pull to either side when I brake.

I'm at a complete loss. Do I have a hose that's collapsing? Do I have a MC that's failing, or could I possibly just have trash in my lines? I don't mind just throwing money at it, but brake issues are a little scary when they keep popping up at random times.

Reactions: 94c2500
I can promise you that Blaine from Black Magic Brakes will be the best resource you can possibly talk to about brakes. Look BMB up and use the contact us option to call him. He'll tell you what you need after listening to your problems.

If you end up needing new pads or rotors, buy his, they are the best on the market. I'll only buy brake stuff from him from now on and that's pretty much the general consensus on this forum and in several other places as well.

Ok guys ..... I'm being haunted with gremlins somewhere in my brake system, and instead of throwing money at it like I have been for the past week, I wanted to run it buy a few more ears in case I'm missing something. I know we have some brake guru's in here.

At some point in the past year, I picked up a little wobble in one of my front rotors. It would shimmy and shake when I was coming to a stop. I finally broke down and replaced the pads and rotors about 2 months ago. All was well for a month or so, and I had 0 problems with them.

About a week after my last outing, which including a couple shallow water crossings, and trails, nothing serious, I was on the interstate and the jeep made a sudden, hard pull to the right. I could tell I had a caliper that hadn't released. Not sure of which side it was, I pulled the pads, calipers, and rotors on both wheels. I cleaned them, checked for foreign debris, and reinstalled them. Test drive seemed fine that evening and the 14 mile drive to work the next morning had no issue. On the way home, it reappeared, This time much worse. The brakes had almost completely seized.

After pulling the pads again on both sides, I noticed the left front had some wear on the pads, so I thought I had found my culprit. Thinking I had a caliper that had failed, I replaced both sides with new calipers. I bleed the brakes, saw no issue, and buttoned it all back up.

Fast forward another week, and on the drive home last night, I noticed that all to familiar smell of burning brakes. There was no sign of drag, the Jeep rolls normal, and there was no pulling to either side during braking or driving.

This morning, on the way in to the office, again I started to smell brakes at interstate speed, and began to notice the jeep wanting to veer to the right ever so slightly while driving. There is still no drag feeling, and no noticeable pull to either side when I brake.

I'm at a complete loss. Do I have a hose that's collapsing? Do I have a MC that's failing, or could I possibly just have trash in my lines? I don't mind just throwing money at it, but brake issues are a little scary when they keep popping up at random times.

If the Caliper is sliding ok, you might have a bad rubber brake line that is collapsing internally and intermittently trapping pressure thus keeping the caliper piston extended. If you catch it dragging, you can always loosen the bleeder or line caliper banjo fitting to see if it's pressurized at all.

Reactions: NicKnack
Occasionally @mrblaine pops up on the forum. I always feel hesitant to answer brake related questions, because I'm almost certain that Blaine will prove me wrong. I suppose that goes without saying, because he is indeed THE brake guru.

I second @Brantley's advice as well as @94c2500.

Reactions: 94c2500 and StG58
Any updates on this? I am experiencing the same thing now.

Yes, and no.

Last weekend I replaced the calipers again, replaced the pads again, replaced the front brake lines, and flushed the entire brake system. I also pulled the rears and checked those for wear. They looked decent, so I left them alone.

I still have a slight pull to the right when driving, which was never there before the brake issue, but the braking itself is flawless. When I'm on the brakes, it's dead on, no pull at all to either side. The pull is only when i'm driving on a straight road, almost like an alignment issue instead.

I was convinced I had a brake pad dragging, but there's absolutely nothing to back that up anymore. The smell of brakes is gone, and it stops perfectly. I now believe I have a different issue.

I think originally I had a serious brake issue, but after replacing the calipers, pads, and hoses, I think I got it taken care of and was so focused on the brakes, I may have overlooked something completely different.

I'm going to check the TR and the alignment this weekend, and hopefully I'll find something there. That "different' feeling when driving, coupled with the original brake issue had me a little over concerned I think.

Just a thought, but you might have wheel bearing issue. On two of my previous vehicles I have experienced failing/failed wheel bearings and in both case it felt like one brake had suddenly engaged for a short time. It might be worth checking out.
Here's a vid on replacing the hub assembly that might be helpful.

Just a thought, but you might have wheel bearing issue. On two of my previous vehicles I have experienced failing/failed wheel bearings and in both case it felt like one brake had suddenly engaged for a short time. It might be worth checking out.
Here's a vid on replacing the hub assembly that might be helpful.

Actually, that was a thought of mine. I did try to wiggle to hubs while I had the wheels off, and there was 0 play in either of them. I know that's not a definitive test, but it did cross my mind. For the price, I may just replace them both if the alignment doesn't fix the pulling issue.

Here in PA one common thing found during state inspections on wranglers is the interior of the brake hoses collapsing... so if they're still stock hoses I would definitely look into them being the culprit.