Brake issue, bad one

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
This caused a monster brake issue. One large enough that a 17" big brake kit could not hold a rig in place after just placing it in drive. 2 folks know the answer, they need to be quiet until others have had the chance to see how good their puzzle skills are.
DSC_5388.JPG

My first thought would be a hot wire grounded against a steel brake line, but that’s too easy so what is it. 🧐

Edit: Question, does this Jeep have ABS?

Fog light wiring shorting out. But to add some complexity, not directly to the brake lines.

Fog light wiring shorting out. But to add some complexity, not directly to the brake lines.
Hard to tell the gauge of the wire. Need a coin in the picture for reference.

Is that a sheet of maple veneered plywood? 18 gauge. :)
I knew the gauge after you stated the circuit. 😉 Still trying to figure out what the fog light wires would have to do with the brakes. Since you seem to be one of the two that know, does the Jeep have ABS?

I knew the gauge after you stated the circuit. 😉 Still trying to figure out what the fog light wires would have to do with the brakes. Since you seem to be one of the two that know, does the Jeep have ABS?

I'm not one of the two who know. All I know is that there is a brake line in the vicinity of the fog wiring and I know how bad my own wiring can be. 2+2=car crash

• Haha
Reactions: Daryl
I'm not one of the two who know. All I know is that there is a brake line in the vicinity of the fog wiring and I know how bad my own wiring can be. 2+2=car crash
There was a crash. Not a conventional one but a terrible crash. The front CV locked up, broke the side of the 241OR off, then the shaft flailed about from 70mph to 0. The damage was enough to total the rig which is a 2014 JK 2 dr. Hole in the trans tunnel, beat up the side of the trans, trans mount, exhaust, and some other minor stuff.

Was this rig equipped with aftermarket rock sliders with interior bracing?

Those are rear abs wires, the interior bracing was improperly installed and pinched the wires causing them to sever which made the front brakes operate as if the rear brakes were locked up.

Was this rig equipped with aftermarket rock sliders with interior bracing?
No.

Those are rear abs wires, the interior bracing was improperly installed and pinched the wires causing them to sever which made the front brakes operate as if the rear brakes were locked up.
Right side of the picture almost below the Pentastar will help with the rest of the story. Those green bits there tell more than most.
DSC_5387.JPG

Green dew rag got sucked into the reciprocating mass and gathered part of the wiring harness causing a shorted condition which then caused, nevermind. I just spilt my coffee.
If you feed D-con to a rodent, what color comes out the other end?

Given that last comment, sounds like a mouse (or something similar) chewed through the wires and caused the brakes to seize.

I’m guessing that’s what would cause the CV issue since the motor was driving at 70 vs a seized axle where the weakest point had to break.