Brake line flaring tool

Jorge Bolivar

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
As the #elrojlj project continue to develop, one of the things I like to do is replace the brake lines and relocate the solid to hose conversion to the inside of the frame. So I'm looking to get a roll of brake line tubing and the flaring tool but, I do have no experience with flaring tools except the cheap ones for plumbing., So I need your guys input before purchase the wrong tool.

Why;
On my last trip to Raush Creek I got a rock trapped on in between the tire and the frame ripping the line off.

What tool you guys use on your garage with good results and is no crazy expensive?

Planning to use Copper/Nickel line. Unless other material recommended.

Thanks in advance and Happy Trails!

Reactions: Chris
The nickle copper brake line is very easy to work with. The double flare tool @Rob5589 showed is fine. The material is very soft compared to the steel and easily flared and bent.

I use something similar to this. Works fine but not real fast. Will work fine for what you are thinking line wise. If you decide on stainless lines you probably want something more substantial.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000L7QZ0Q/?tag=wranglerorg-20

For SS lines,
https://www.eastwood.com/profession...moCWxlj1UHyL_jZRcPb_JYT-yROPXxUxoC05AQAvD_BwE

Thanks @Rob5589 !!

I will look and order this later.
I do think on do all the lines on SS but I no feel is necessary.

The nickle copper brake line is very easy to work with. The double flare tool @Rob5589 showed is fine. The material is very soft compared to the steel and easily flared and bent.

Thanks @ohiopatriot !

I will follow @Rob5589 suggestion.

Yes, Nickle copper is very easy to bent. Has my reservations as offroad is the primary use but, line will be protected any way.

Jorge, I’m going to add my 2 cents worth here and tell you to buy a quality kit. I’ve an Imperial Eastman double flaring tool for about 25 years. Mine was rebranded as a Mac Tool kit.

Yes, I used it professionally, and yes before the imperial Eastman I used an early, ( 70’s vintage) Craftsman kit.

I got decent results with the Craftsman kit but the Imperial Eastman kit is just soooooo much easier to use. There is no comparison in the clamping bar.

I’ve done 100’s of flares with my kit and I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it again if I only needed it for a few flares.

Add their midget tubing cutter and you’ll be set for anything. I recommend this better kit especially if you think you may ever need to flare SS line.
Another plus is that you can get replacement cutter wheels at many industrial supply houses.

Buy once, cry once.

Edit: Watch out on Amazon. They list an “Imperial Tool “ kit that is NOT what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
OTC aren't quality tools in your opinion?

I don’t have a ton of experience with OTC tools, usually just speciality tools like seal drivers etc., that are spec’d by the OEM. Most of that experience has been positive.
However some of their products I’ve seen seem to be rebadged tools that sell at a price point.

The flaring tool linked above may be just fine. The only real test is to use it and see.
Most of the problems I’ve had with cheaper flaring tools are related to the clamp bar that holds the tubing. The most common complaint is that you have to really crank on the bar to get enough clamp load to keep the tube from slipping.

This is not a knock on OTC tools in general and I’d certainly be tempted to try their flaring tool over a “no name” brand.

Im aware its a older post, what type of flare tool is needed to do brakelines? Is it a regular plumbing style flare or something more specialty? Im needing to repair a few brakelines on a 78 jeep cj7 for reference. I have a fairly nice jb flaring kit that works well for minisplits and refrigerant piping. Not exactly sure if this will work for brake tubing

Im aware its a older post, what type of flare tool is needed to do brakelines? Is it a regular plumbing style flare or something more specialty? Im needing to repair a few brakelines on a 78 jeep cj7 for reference. I have a fairly nice jb flaring kit that works well for minisplits and refrigerant piping. Not exactly sure if this will work for brake tubing

Brake lines require a double flare tool.
https://www.amazon.com/Thorstone-Do...,45-Degrees/dp/B088CP1FHZ/?tag=wranglerorg-20