Brake related brain trust and the lack of understanding thereof.

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
I got asked some questions about some brake related stuff without knowing the context, I answered and then got argued with, so I went and looked.

To clear up the retarded bullshit used to justify erroneous choices.

1- You do NOT build bigger rear brakes for trail use, you build front brakes for street use. We don't have differentials in the t-case which means that even if you remove the rear brakes completely, put it in 4wd and lock it up, the front brakes will lock up the rear tires if you have enough front brake. Make it safe for the street by not having the rears lock up on you when you moderately use the brakes, let the front brakes do the work front brakes are supposed to do.

2- Yes, some vehicles use vented rotors on the rear. None of those are short wheelbase. Vented rotors are used when the rear brakes can be worked hard. Examples are police cars of the full size sedan type with ABS. Modern pick-ups with higher weight and tow capacities and that's right, at least rear ABS. The reason that most cars do not have vented rotors is due to bias and the front brakes doing most of the work. Most vehicles run a rear brake set up that is roughly 1/2 the work capacity of the fronts. If that were not the case, all they would do is lock up the rear brakes every time the pedal is pressed. Using the example that vented rotors are okay because some other vehicle has them just shows how little you understand about brakes and bias.

3- The stock vehicle's proportioning valve's function cannot be easily duplicated with an aftermarket adjustable "prop" valve. Prop in quotes because they are not proportional, they are percentage. The OEM valve has a knee point on the pressure graph which reduces the pressure at a higher percentage to slow down rear lock up. That is why they are called "proportional". Aftermarket valves don't do that, they simply reduce the input pressure by a percentage that maxes out at about 60%. I have had to plumb in back-to-back aftermarket valves trying to prevent rear lock up after front calipers were incorrectly installed on the rear axle simply because the parts were available to be used. Just because someone makes a kit does not make that kit a good idea. There are lots of companies that should not be selling brake related parts except under the category "HERE'S SOME PARTS, WE DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BRAKES, BUT YOU CAN USE THEM IF YOU DO". The other side of that is no one who knows a fucking thing about brakes would use them.

4- Rotors DO NOT register on the lug studs. Some are clamped to the rotor from behind by pressing the lug studs through them, some are integrated into the bearing hub but at no point in time are they lug centric. Any company that tells you that is a good idea has their head up their ass. Use whatever wheel example you like that is lug centric to justify your bullshit, you're still wrong. The other way you know you are wrong is all lug centric wheels have some mechanism to center the larger hole in the wheel on the stud. Most common are countersunk lug nut seats. Others use a round bulge, some use conical bulge, some use a larger straight shank lug nut like the old Cragar wheels wheels but NONE of them are like a rotor that does not register on a pilot and only on the lug studs. If a wheel is held on with flat face lug nuts like a dually, you can goddam bet the farm the wheel registers on an axle or adapter pilot. That also means if you have a rotor that is held on with the flat back face of the wheel mounting surface, it has to register on a pilot as well.

5- Bias is built into the system by designing the brake parts for their job they have to do. That is done via a combination of methods usually starting with the sizing of the components. Rear brakes don't do much, you can't make them do much since the vast majority of the work is done by the front brakes. Since they don't do much and you can't make them do more than the vehicle's size, weight and wheelbase will let them do, putting front brakes on the rear is just dumb.

6- If you install rear brakes of any type and you don't think they are doing much, that's good otherwise you'd be locking them up all the time.

7- And almost finally, stop plucking stupid fucking examples out of your ass to justify stupidity and lack of understanding. It just makes you look stupid. Just because A random vehicle happens to run a vented rear rotor does not mean it is a sound idea for THE vehicle you are working on.

Finally, folks bitch about not getting help. 2 things fuck that up completely. If they wanted help, they would listen, learn, and adapt accordingly. That and help isn't really wanted, what is wanted is to be told they are doing it right regardless of how wrong it is.

Now I get to go have a chat with the monkeys that drug me into this shit.

There is a reason that companies build stuff like this. They understand bias and I promise you, they will not ever tell you that lug centric rotors are ever a good idea.

1645285827445.png

I even built a set for someone who got saddled with an ill designed high dollar axle from a big manufacturer that stupidly put the same front brakes on the back. Unfortunately, in this case, they were not easily swapped out to something smaller so we had to fix the bias another way since the rig did not have ABS.

I did the math and came up with a piston area that would roughly net about 1/2 of what the fronts were.

This is the comparison of the old and new pistons.
1645286113218.png

I had reducers built with piston seals in them that locked into the old seal groove with a heavy duty snap ring.

1645286208032.png

Finished product.

1645286295077.png

If you got this far and were wondering how we kept the original dust seals, we flared out the top of the new pistons to accept the original dust seals as an added bit of clever.

1645286410891.png

Definitely Frustrating Blaine , Have a fun conversation in the primate house.:)
The saddest part is it only takes a modicum of research with an eye on learning something to figure most of this stuff out. If you go on Rock Auto and just start looking at the relationship between front and rear disc brakes and how the OEM does things, it doesn't take long to start getting a sense of what they do and why they do it. I have a knack for it since it interests me but that doesn't mean others can't figure out just the basics. I did a post a long time ago on similar stuff. It was from a company selling a "heavy duty" master cylinder. No you fucktard, that isn't a thing. They size masters according to the job they have to do, there is no light, medium, or heavy duty, there is just duty. They have a job to do, that's it.

Reactions: B00mb00m
There is a reason that companies build stuff like this. They understand bias and I promise you, they will not ever tell you that lug centric rotors are ever a good idea.

View attachment 310682

I even built a set for someone who got saddled with an ill designed high dollar axle from a big manufacturer that stupidly put the same front brakes on the back. Unfortunately, in this case, they were not easily swapped out to something smaller so we had to fix the bias another way since the rig did not have ABS.

I did the math and came up with a piston area that would roughly net about 1/2 of what the fronts were.

View attachment 310683

I had reducers built with piston seals in them that locked into the old seal groove with a heavy duty snap ring.

View attachment 310684

Finished product.

View attachment 310685

If you got this far and were wondering how we kept the original dust seals, we flared out the top of the new pistons to accept the original dust seals as an added bit of clever.

View attachment 310686
purdy slick, nice to have the resources available to do that kind of work.

The saddest part is it only takes a modicum of research with an eye on learning something to figure most of this stuff out. If you go on Rock Auto and just start looking at the relationship between front and rear disc brakes and how the OEM does things, it doesn't take long to start getting a sense of what they do and why they do it. I have a knack for it since it interests me but that doesn't mean others can't figure out just the basics. I did a post a long time ago on similar stuff. It was from a company selling a "heavy duty" master cylinder. No you fucktard, that isn't a thing. They size masters according to the job they have to do, there is no light, medium, or heavy duty, there is just duty. They have a job to do, that's it.
F N marketing. Decades ago GM came out with the T-10 mid size truck 4X4.
They called the 4X4 system "Insta -Trac" Then promoted how wonderful the system was because
" The front differential was filled with oil for cooling and lubrication efficiency "
No shit, what a great concept ! :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: Zorba

View attachment 310682

View attachment 310683

View attachment 310684

Finished product.

View attachment 310685

View attachment 310686
Nice work & modification!

Wow, that is a master class in braking! If it were anyone else I wouldn't believe it if they said they built rear piston reducers I'm a brake caliper. You truly do find solutions. And we can all appreciate that to find good solutions you have to have a fundamental understanding of the mechanism surrounding the problem. This post helps a LOT!

purdy slick, nice to have the resources available to do that kind of work.
No resources other than a machinist I can communicate with. The rest is just measuring the seal groove and picking out a retaining ring on McMaster that fits. The seals are known since they fit the caliper, the seal in the adapter is known since it fits the small pistons. All I did was buy the caliper, take it apart and do some measuring with machinist.
The depth of the bore is known so just measure from it to the seal groove to get the height.
Piston has the profile on it to copy onto the mushroom piston.

None of it was anything more than just basic common sense and understanding how things work. I literally spent maybe an hour with the machinist working up a sketch while we both had parts in our hands.

Total bill to the end use was 700 bucks. 200 of that was for my time and expertise. The rest was for parts and paying the machinist.
They were glad to pay that rather than start completely over with a small caliper that fit a wide vented rotor. (not happening)
Trying to find a vented rotor with the right offset and retain some kind of parking brake. (not easy)

This was the most economical answer.

Reactions: someguysjeep
Wow, that is a master class in braking! If it were anyone else I wouldn't believe it if they said they built rear piston reducers I'm a brake caliper. You truly do find solutions. And we can all appreciate that to find good solutions you have to have a fundamental understanding of the mechanism surrounding the problem. This post helps a LOT!
It wasn't original, I put up the link to an existing product that inspired the solution.

Reactions: B00mb00m
The only application for vented rotors I know of is race car type stuff. Heavy brake use from high speeds. And it's a trade off. You're losing surface area on the rotor, so technically your braking power is being diminished. They're typically overbuilt, so whatever, but the flip side is they'll take a bit longer to overheat. And while I have overheated brakes from steady use at low, offroad speeds (my fault for not just gearing down), it's not typical. And vented rotors wouldn't really help in that situation anyway since they require a lot of airflow to be of benefit.

I ended up putting vented rotors on my '02 4Runner, but only because there was a well priced kit that came with the calipers I wanted. The stock front brakes are notoriously weak on the later 3rd gen 4Runners, and the Tundra size brakes bolt right on.

The only application for vented rotors I know of is race car type stuff. Heavy brake use from high speeds. And it's a trade off. You're losing surface area on the rotor, so technically your braking power is being diminished. They're typically overbuilt, so whatever, but the flip side is they'll take a bit longer to overheat. And while I have overheated brakes from steady use at low, offroad speeds (my fault for not just gearing down), it's not typical. And vented rotors wouldn't really help in that situation anyway since they require a lot of airflow to be of benefit.

I ended up putting vented rotors on my '02 4Runner, but only because there was a well priced kit that came with the calipers I wanted. The stock front brakes are notoriously weak on the later 3rd gen 4Runners, and the Tundra size brakes bolt right on.
I think you have confused vented with slotted. All front rotors with rare exception are vented, few rear rotors are.

I’m working on compiling mrblaine’s posts into a book but I will edit out all the mechanical/technical stuff and just leave the verbal abuse.

I’ll call it “The Jeep TJ Bible” or something gay/stupid like that, charge $150 for a paperback(it’s gonna be thick), and still sell out!

Cool brakes, bro. 😎

I think you have confused vented with slotted. All front rotors with rare exception are vented, few rear rotors are.

Yeah, I mean the ones with grooves cut into the surface. Terminology fail.

So vented is just the open area in the center of the rotor?

F N marketing. Decades ago GM came out with the T-10 mid size truck 4X4.
They called the 4X4 system "Insta -Trac" Then promoted how wonderful the system was because
" The front differential was filled with oil for cooling and lubrication efficiency "
No shit, what a great concept ! :rolleyes:
Yep, I despise marketing that isn't accurate with the intent to purposefully mislead like the company that builds a 4130 front trackbar and doesn't heat treat it.

I just got a batch of heat treated tie rods done. The heat treat and straightening cost more than the boring and threading labor and 4340 material.

Fuckwits.

Isuzu rodeo 44 was an odd exception, not sure if you would consider it a short wheelbase or not. With full size gm calipers, the metric calipers on the rear gave a good bias…