Broke a body mount bolt

cliffish

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
So trying to raise the tub to remove a broken rear shock mount bolt and I snapped the center one on the p/s?? now what do I do...still have a bunch to get off. There looks like no way to prespray the threads to loosen them? so how do you remove this broken one?

it is the one on the silver extension pointing up....luckily they all came out ok except this one, I am pretty sure my side step slider do not tie into this one.....I also was unable to remove the broken bolt on the rear shock so will be running the old shocks or a while.

body mount 1.JPG
body mount.JPG

Lift the body up on that side and remove the puck. The stud is probably sticking out off the body enough to grab with vice grips. The design of the mounts send seems it concentrates the corrosion in the middle of the bolts, where they pass through the spacer, so I'd bet that it broke in the middle. Shouldn't have to drill.

Would I have to remove all of them on that side to lift? also loosen the fan shroud? where do you lift the body from? I hate to do this due to the side steps are also attached at the body mounts

Would I have to remove all of them on that side to lift? also loosen the fan shroud? where do you lift the body from? I hate to do this due to the side steps are also attached at the body mounts

You would have to remove all of them on one side to get it high enough. As far as the radiator, you could just disconnect the spar that attaches the tub to the rad support I think, but its only one bolt in the center to undo the mount.

You would probably be fine not replacing it either. The rearmost drivers side mount was broken on mine, and I had no idea.