Broken tailgate bolts

Vcook

TJ Enthusiast
So i'm working on my exogate/morryde tailgate hinge/reinforcement install and the top hinge came off without issue. The bottom hinge on the other hand, both bolts into the body broke off :( Thoughts on how to get these bastards out?

7xpbSBn.jpg

You can access the backside of those bolts by going through the rear wheel well. You may be able to apply some heat with a torch or soldering iron to the front and get a pair of pliers or vice grips on the back and free them.

It’s a tight squeeze through the wheel well, but worth a try.

Reactions: Vcook
You think grab the back of the bolt and screw them all the way through? Yes I can see them from under with the wheel well insert out but still a bear to get to.

I would apply heat first, you’re trying to degrade the loctite that was put on those bolts at the factory. Then I would turn them to get them to exit through the access point. All you need is to clear the tub. Similar to the top, there’s a bracket that both bolts attach to on the back side.

Ah, I’m with you. I’ll give that a go in the am. My worry is it’s not loctite but corrosion that has effectively welded them in :(

They're in an nice spot to drill out.
I had to drill out a bumper bolt from the bottom that kept dropping hot shavings on my arm.

CAREFULLY center punch them.
Then use a center drill that won't walk around
Drill small diameter hole thru, change bit and keep drilling hole bigger until you just get into the threads. Then you can usually pick out the remaining material.

Extractors rarely work for me.
Heat is usually tough where finish paint is involved. Oxy / acetylene no, blow torch to loosen locktite yes.
Premeditated soaking with penetrating oil prior to work is the best.

Do your damnedest to not break bolts. (EZ to say in hindsight!)

Edited to add: Helps to have a set of taps to chase the holes after drilling out bolts.

Last edited:
2nd the drill out use a good cutting oil when drilling to reduce friction, chase the threads with a tap when your done. Go slow and take you time

2nd the drill out use a good cutting oil when drilling to reduce friction, chase the threads with a tap when your done. Go slow and take you time
This was what was needed. Drilled the left out, bigger and bigger hole until I could chase the threads with a tap. Looks tip top. Right hand bolt on the other hand....

Broke off a good sized bit pretty deep into the bolt. No getting it out. Tried to drill it out, that hardened bit isn't budging. I've now broke off 4 smaller bits just trying to get through this broken off bit in the bolt. :( I'm about to lose my mind. The first couple passes with smaller bits(prior to breaking one off in the hole) I did go all the way through so I'm going to try to ram something from the backside tonight but there isn't much room to work back there.

Any bright ideas on how to clear, what is now a mangled cluster-f, out of this area? I'd be fine to just throw a nut on the back of the bolt long term so the existing threading isn't even critical.

Got it out, back on track. Hope to wrap this PIA before end of weekend as time allows. The threads are even still good, despite eating like 5 drill bits and half dozen dremel diamond bits.