Bronco vs. Wrangler

Reactions: TJ Starting
But you can see them more than 20 jacked up Broncos pile up by the mall and upscale neighborhoods.
The fact is they marketed these for yuppies and just watch this clip, it's brilliant!

https://www.autoblog.com/2021-ford-bronco-supercut-video-000000145.html
I think that says a lot ...it's just a different clientele.

If it did get any market share the advent of the V8 will more than offset that.

The biggest problem Jeep dealers will have is what to do with all the v6 trade ins.

Lets not forget, a lot of JLUR owners, here in Florida especially, can give a rats ass about off-road performance and its a good portion of the Jeep market. The Bronco will DEFINITELY hurt the JL, no doubt about it. It's something new, refreshing and the aftermarket will make it even better.

Jeep should have made a V8 wrangler on the JK. No doubt the 392 JL will be a seller, but you'd be naive to think the Bronco will hurt the JL/JT market.

Also, the Gladiator is too damn expensive to sell like the Tacoma. $65k is just absurd. My JLUR had a $56900 sticker price, $3500 more than my wife Audi Q5 premium plus!!! Thats ridiculous and I couldn't believe I paid so much, for a JEEP!!!

The Bronco will sell well except for one issue, delivery. Every vehicle that they bring out like this has delivery and price issues for the first year or two. Mustang GT350/500, Focus ST then the Focus RS, and Rapters all come out with 10k or more in dealer mark up and low volume for the first couple of years. So the sales tend to be low and to highly motivated (rich) buyers. I had a Focus ST and I liked it, but it took me 2 years after it was announced to find one at sticker price. I wanted to upgrade to the Focus RS, but it was so ghard to get and with dealer markup, it just did not make sence, so I ended up getting a Dodge Charger SRT. The Bronco looks great. My wife wants one, and she has no interest in a new Jeep of any kind, but when she said she wanted one and I told her it does not release until next year and even then it will be unobtanium for another 2 years she lost interest very quick.

Now a Jeep with a 392 would go very well with my 392 SRT charger don't you think? If only I can convince the better half.
1594735661903.png

The Bronco will sell well except for one issue, delivery.

The Bronco looks great, and my wife wants one, and she has no interest in a new Jeep of any kind,
JLs has way more than one issue :) (my wife said it looks "gay") and if a wife says that it is really a serious critic.

The new Bronco looks great! No matter how you slice it, it is way better than the JLs (I am bias bec. I don't like the JLs).

I have a JK and it's a mall crawler. I can imagine myself on a jacked up Bronco 2-3 years from now.

Last edited:
JLs has way more than one issue :) (my wife said it looks "gay")

Bronco looks great! No matter how you slice it, it is way better than the JLs.

No argunent from me on that. Ford's design team is knocking it out of the park lately. They are bringing some incredible cars to market both in looks and performance, you just have to pay 10-20k over sticker to get one because they are not keeping up with demand allowing the dealerships to overcharge. I know supply and demand determines the price, but that is what I am saying. Ford has a problem on the supply side for this type of vehicle and it turns a lot of potential buyers off.

I think a lot of the mallcrawler crowd is going to cross shop the Jeep and bronco. For 90% of people IFS will be better and it’ll probably be noticeable in a test drive. I could see a lot of them around.

I’m no brand loyalist, I personally think Ford did a good job on the details and made a good rig on paper. I’m excited to see them out trails - they look pretty great inside and out.

Here's somewhat of a comparison between the two.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2021-ford-bronco-jeep-wrangler-comparison/

The Bronco as a better crawl ratio if you get the I4 2.3L option, Jeep has better crawl ratios in the automatic transmission department. Those sorts of details make direct comparisons more difficult. It's a pet peeve of mine that you can't get a Jeep with and I4 or Diesel V6 and manual transmission option, etc. etc. They should make the stupid bell housing the same and cram the same engines in the same compartments using different motor mounts, then design their transmissions to fit in similar lengths with cable shifters and different mount points on the same transfer case skid. Finish with a 2 door/4 door option, Rubicon or not option with some mix and match modularity. Then the torque/crawl ratio you want would be easier to select and more comparable to other brands.

Both are way too big for my tastes. I didn't by a 4 door Jeep because I thought it was too big. The new Bronco is just ever so slightly larger.

I still think the smaller looks too much like an FJ Cruiser.

IMG_6276_1100x.jpg

ogi1-2021-ford-bronco-sport-001.jpg

Last edited:
I'll never own one, but I do think the Bronco is a very good thing in terms of competition.

Jeep has been resting on their laurels for way too long, and this means they don't get that opportunity anymore. I'm just shocked it's taken this long for someone to start competing with them. Next it will be GM and then maybe Toyota.

GM is already trying to bring back the Hummer, though it's an all electric version.
Also, no news on bringing back the Blazer or Jimmy, or what have you, yet. I'm going to say unlikely.

Chevy is dead in the water even with the AEV connection

According to our town hall, the AEVs will all have the same base chassis with battery, frame, suspension, wheels. Just a different body for sports, sedan, suv, truck.

I've a feeling they don't care for the enthusiast market with this anymore. The same chassis used for a sports car cannot be used for an off roader. I suppose the enthusiast market is too niche for them to care about now.

Personally I really like the new Bronco. Sorry for all of the JK and JL owners out there, but I struggle with liking the Unlimited Jeeps. Unless they are lifted with much bigger wheels they remind me of the bone stock SEs. It would take a lot to motivate me to buy one. They are way too expensive IMHO.

My company car is a F150 with the 10 speed transmission. This is my 4th F150. I generally like them but this transmission will not make 100k miles without a rebuild. At 55k it slams, whines, and clunks.

Reactions: Fonz54, JMT and TJ2
At least Ford doesn't have to make something like the Gladiator. They can simply add the new packages for the Bronco as options for an F150 since they are using the same powertrain. :)

Last edited:
I noticed that in the driving sequences both the 2 and 4 door drivers were wearing helmets as they bounced around at high speed with their tops and doors off. Now maybe this is all test track/development video, or maybe they're going for the Baja 1000 vibe, but is this really the optics that Ford wants for this product? "Bronco - the street legal RZR!"

Reactions: TJ Starting
Personally I really like the new Bronco. . . .

I don't suffer any illusions that the new Bronco is the latest and greatest in rock crawlers. Neither is a JK or JL. However, the 4-door Bronco does appear to be an attractive alternative to my aging and now discontinued second generation Xterra, which is an IFS, leaf spring rear, body on frame 4x4 with true transfer case and electric rear locker in a Dana 44 variant axle that does very well as an all purpose, daily driver/weekend warrior/ adventure/roadtrip/overlanding vehicle. There are many similarities with the new Bronco in that regard. Although there is no question that my LJ is better on difficult trails and rocks than my Xterra, my Xterra is much better at being an multi-purpose 4x4 daily driver than my LJ. The new Bronco shows potential of being the same.

Right now the Ford dealerships are being their typical greedy car salesman selves and tacking on "early adopter surcharges" that represent no value to a consumer. We will see where prices settle when the early frenzy subsides and there are some Broncos on the road. That wouldn't mean that I would replace my jeep, it would be in addition to my jeep. I have primarily owned jeeps as second vehicles.

You will never drive down the highway on a Saturday morning and meet 15 to 20 Broncos headed to the trail. Never.

I do, well at least once a year. There's an annual Bronco Round Up that's held every year at Rausch Creek. I wheel my Jeep with Bronco's exclusively then. For four days straight you easily see 15 - 20 Broncos headed to the trail!

7JBnLMQ.jpg

Last edited: