Bronco vs. Wrangler

I do, well at least once a year. There's an annual Bronco Round Up that's held every year at Rausch Creek. I wheel my Jeep with Bronco's exclusively then. For four days straight you easily see 15 - 20 Broncos headed to the trail!

View attachment 176839
I stand corrected! Who'da thunk?

Cool.

I'm all for innovation and competition, but it's interesting to see the number of places on the internet where the Bronco crowds are posting all sorts of Bronco is better stuff on Jeep groups. In some of the local Jeep groups there are people saying they are selling their Jeep because the Bronco is going to be this or that better, and you can't even buy one yet. The interweb fanboi wars are about to get going.

I see some of the differences as minor cosmetic things or luxury car differences. Axles, locking differentials, bigger tires, as pay extra factory options aren't too much different than buying aftermarket stuff. Other things like leather, touchscreens, button locations, power everything, etc aren't trilling to me. I expect Jeep to absorb most of the successful stuff quickly even if it makes no functional difference. They can easily sell an optional door rack to take up your trunk space all the time in case you decide to put your doors in the back if you take them off ... and not carry anything else because your back is full of doors, move a row of buttons, add a phone charger or mount to a different location, get a bigger screen in the dash, etc.,etc. They can easily change the Rubicon design with a package that has lifted springs, better shocks, and 35" wheels out of the factory if people are willing to pay.

Different engine types are a typical car manufacturer thing. Ford picked the engines from their existing F150 and SUV lines because they already have them available so that makes perfect sense. Jeep needs to be able to pair their manual transmission with their 2.0 L turbo 4 cylinder so the base models compare better.

The biggest problem Jeep will have is matching price points. Mainly because the F150 has huge sales numbers and they can therefore piggyback some of the drivetrain volume purchase cost reductions into the Bronco lineup.

Like I said elsewhere, I wouldn't own the new Jeep or Bronco. The 4 door versions are too big for my tastes. I bet the inside of the Bronco looks similar and rides just like my Father-in-laws 4 door F150. I bet you can remote start it and look at diagnostics from the same phone app too. They get big enough and focus too much on their on road performance and I can get an F250 and call it good.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
The 2 door base model with a manual and the Sasquatch package has caught my eye. However, since I have no plans on selling my LJ, maybe the smarter buy would be the 4 door version :unsure: The Bronco Sport doesn't really do it for me, but the other two look quite nice. I'm glad for more competition.

At least Bronco did not go tangent from their iconic Bronco from the old good days compared to these new Bronco.
The Wranglers really went ugly from CJ to JL. Just look at the Gladiators, the designs were so desperate and is not even funny.

Piecing together these two posts,

I think the package of

A 10-speed automatic transmission, automatic 4WD system, 310 hp 2.7-liter turbocharged V6 and 'Sasquatch' off-road package with 35-inch tires, special wheels, upgraded suspension and locking front and rear differentials are optional.

is roughly a $10,000 factory adder.

Im curious about the IFS. Maybe im old school but ive always thought IFS was a limitation or at least less reliable off road.

IFS has pros and cons... just like solid axles.

IFS has more natural ground clearance and is much more comfortable a ride on and off road.

IFS does not articulate as well as solid axles.... but for the great majority of users... the IFS articulation suffices.

IFS has pros and cons... just like solid axles.

IFS has more natural ground clearance and is much more comfortable a ride on and off road.

IFS does not articulate as well as solid axles.... but for the great majority of users... the IFS articulation suffices.

Also tends to be harder to lift without straining ball joints and CVs. Seems the Bronco has this factored in, at least in some respect with the packages it shows. I am not a Ford guys and probably wont be buying a Bronco anytime soon, but the competition is good, and will benefit the consumers.

Plus all the GOAT modes are going to make everyone better off-road drivers in the Bronco so they won't need the solid axle design. Does it have Ford's parking technology built in to pick out lines on the trail so you don't need a spotter? My father-in-law's truck backs itself up to his trailer to hook up or the trailer itself if you can't hit a lake with a boat. It won't be too long and your off road experience will include drinks from the mini bar while the car drives itself through the trails.

🤪

Dont forget the tiny detail that we are all part of... The Jeep is also a cult vehicle... The bronco, not yet.
I`m not understating the capabilities (which might or may not be higher than the Jeep) nor how attractive the Bronco is (which is subjective, I personally dont like it).
Jeeps have war stories, amazing adventures, legendary events (Jeep Jamboree) and even a Jeep wave that other vehicles (regardless of their capabilities) simply don`t have. All of this have created the Jeep culture.
If someone makes a decision analysis between the Bronco and the Jeep, yeah, Bronco might win on some aspects, and money wise it might even be a better choice depending on what you value most. But... what is the value of being part of the Jeep community?? Many of us didn`t buy an off road capable vehicle. We bough a Jeep!

HN

Plus all the GOAT modes are going to make everyone better off-road drivers in the Bronco so they won't need the solid axle design. Does it have Ford's parking technology built in to pick out lines on the trail so you don't need a spotter? My father-in-law's truck backs itself up to his trailer to hook up or the trailer itself if you can't hit a lake with a boat. It won't be too long and your off road experience will include drinks from the mini bar while the car drives itself through the trails.

🤪

Some of the recent tech is a little silly. Sure it helps some people, but these are things you need to learn how to do. Like back up a trailer. I will always want a spotter when the trail demands it. Cameras wont give you the perspective you need.

I do like my Ram for the zoom feature on the back up camera, it focuses right on the hitch ball. Makes lining up the hitch perfect every time. No more getting in and out. I didn't spend on the 360 camera and my parking sensors stay off, because they like to apply the brakes abruptly when the system thinks you are too close to anything. Like backing up with the tailgate down. Scared the shit out of me the first time it happened. I haven't hit anything yet, weird huh?

Dont forget the tiny detail that we are all part of... The Jeep is also a cult vehicle... The bronco, not yet.
I`m not understating the capabilities (which might or may not be higher than the Jeep) nor how attractive the Bronco is (which is subjective, I personally dont like it).
Jeeps have war stories, amazing adventures, legendary events (Jeep Jamboree) and even a Jeep wave that other vehicles (regardless of their capabilities) simply don`t have. All of this have created the Jeep culture.
If someone makes a decision analysis between the Bronco and the Jeep, yeah, Bronco might win on some aspects, and money wise it might even be a better choice depending on what you value most. But... what is the value of being part of the Jeep community?? Many of us didn`t buy an off road capable vehicle. We bough a Jeep!

HN

They haven't even delivered one yet and the flame war is starting. 🤭

FB_IMG_15947533763877930.jpg

I don't see 15-20 Jeeps heading for the trail vs Broncos being relevant. Out of those 15-20 Jeeps very few will be CJs or YJs and not many TJs. Ford stopped making Broncos in 1996, and I would not consider 1978-1996 Broncos ORVs.

I really like the 1st gen and the 2021. I think that the Bronco will not only take a bite out of the Wrangler sales, but the T4Rs too. The Bronco will appeal to people like me that look at a T4R as the wife's vehicle. I bet the Overlanders will will be attracted to it too. With lockers and 35s from the factory and a small lift it should go places I would not take while still making payments.

To be fair... the bronco has an offroad history.

Having the bronco around is something to celebrate, especially a capable done-right bronco.

Aside from competition... there will be more offroad support politically and commercially.

Not to mention some variety.... ever since the JK... I see too many cookie cutter jeeps on 35's, massive roofracks, and shiny highlift jacks.

Maybe the mallcrawlers will migrate to the bronco, and spare jeep the negative branding.

They keep making the new offroaders wider and wider.
TJ: 68.3"
JK/JL: 73.9"
Bronco: 79.3"

I've been on plenty of trails where I thought the TJ was too wide. My wife does love old Broncos so prehaps when her lease is up she'll want to check one out. By then our kids should be attending soccer games so it would be the perfect mall crawler.