Brothers for Veterans LJ Build

As far as I know all LJ's came with a Dana 44 rear but it would be a Dana 30 front.
Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 in the rear. Was planning on going the route of the 4.88’s. But with the feedback from you and @BuildBreakRepeat looks like I should do the 5.13’s. I did a lot of talking with the guys from Yukon and they recommended the 4.88’s. Might have to dig back into that! Thanks guys!

Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 in the rear. Was planning on going the route of the 4.88’s. But with the feedback from you and @BuildBreakRepeat looks like I should do the 5.13’s. I did a lot of talking with the guys from Yukon and they recommended the 4.88’s. Might have to dig back into that! Thanks guys!
These are also going to be ‘transition’ axles’ would like to run it this way until it’s time to step up and go with 1 tons. Most of the. Veteran wheeling will be light in the beginning as I will be teaching many of the guys but as those guys come back through the trails will get tougher as the experience with them grows. ;)

No problem! I have 5.38s with the same trans on 35s, and spend plenty of time on the highway. Honestly wish I could go lower. This thread will tell your everything you need to know.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...angler-tj-lj-and-other-re-gearing-faqs.17063/

No problem! I have 5.38s with the same trans on 35s, and spend plenty of time on the highway. Honestly wish I could go lower. This thread will tell your everything you need to know.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...angler-tj-lj-and-other-re-gearing-faqs.17063/
Thanks for the reading material! I’ll dig in tonight. This Jeep will rarely hit the interstate but nothing worse than not having the low gears when you need them. I’m running 4.88’s in my JK and 37’s but Having 5 gears helps. Still wishing I had lower gears. Down the road I’m contemplating a manual swap into the LJ... #goals

I did a lot of talking with the guys from Yukon and they recommended the 4.88’s. Might have to dig back into that! Thanks guys!
This is what I was trying to get at with my earlier post. They really have very little clue about what they are suggesting for your application, obviously.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Linked above is one of the better gear calculators. Input all your info, and you can play with various gear ratios and get an idea of where your RPM’s will be at different speeds.

It’s often better to be geared a little lower than you thought than it is to be otherwise, gearing isn't cheap if paying the pros to have it done.

Please listen to the people on here telling you what works in the REAL world. Not saying the guys from Yukon don't know what they are doing but sometimes their advice doesn't fit what works in the real world.

Thanks for the reading material! I’ll dig in tonight. This Jeep will rarely hit the interstate but nothing worse than not having the low gears when you need them. I’m running 4.88’s in my JK and 37’s but Having 5 gears helps. Still wishing I had lower gears. Down the road I’m contemplating a manual swap into the LJ... #goals
I can let you drive my LJR with stock 4.0, 42 rle auto trans, on 35's with 5.13 gears so you can see for yourself. IMHO, after running 5.13 the past year I regret not listening to the guys on here with real experience who urged me to go 5.38. I too was recommended 4.88 by "pros" and decided on 5.13 as a compromise between the 2.

Everytime the .69 OD kicks in I'm reminded that I should've went as deep as I could-5.38 since I have a Rubi. Again the offer stands to drive mine and see for yourself before you regear.

I can let you drive my LJR with stock 4.0, 42 rle auto trans, on 35's with 5.13 gears so you can see for yourself. IMHO, after running 5.13 the past year I regret not listening to the guys on here with real experience who urged me to go 5.38. I too was recommended 4.88 by "pros" and decided on 5.13 as a compromise between the 2.

Everytime the .69 OD kicks in I'm reminded that I should've went as deep as I could-5.38 since I have a Rubi. Again the offer stands to drive mine and see for yourself before you regear.
Where at in Ohio do you Live, I’m in southern Indiana, Jasper.

Please listen to the people on here telling you what works in the REAL world. Not saying the guys from Yukon don't know what they are doing but sometimes their advice doesn't fit what works in the real world.
Nothing can take the place of real world experience. Appreciate it guys!

Last edited:
This is what I was trying to get at with my earlier post. They really have very little clue about what they are suggesting for your application, obviously.

http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
Linked above is one of the better gear calculators. Input all your info, and you can play with various gear ratios and get an idea of where your RPM’s will be at different speeds.

It’s often better to be geared a little lower than you thought than it is to be otherwise, gearing isn't cheap if paying the pros to have it done.
I spent some time with my differential guys and with the advice from you all I’m going to go as low as I can with the 30 up front and 44 in the rear. I work for Jasper Engines and Transmissions and they are helping with the build. I’m on the transmission side of the business so these guys are going to help me do the diffs when the parts come in and do a full reman on the front and rear. I owe the urge to you guys. Thanks!!

Last edited:
I am not. Blessed for all those that have served and are serving. Much of my family has been. My brother in law lost his battle with PTSD 2 yrs ago. Spent a lot of time in the woods and turning wrenches with him and that is the inspiration behind us. He was stationed on the USS Saratoga, where the Jeep gets her name.

Yes, that is our website!

Thanks for doing this build and what you plan to do with vets. I’m sorry about your brother in law, it is horrible. I won’t go into details but PTSD is no joke and if you know anyone that might be suspect, veteran, first responders, etc, reach out.

Someone did for me and it saved my life.

can’t wait to watch the build.

Thanks for doing this build and what you plan to do with vets. I’m sorry about your brother in law, it is horrible. I won’t go into details but PTSD is no joke and if you know anyone that might be suspect, veteran, first responders, etc, reach out.

Amen, I've had my own issues to deal with. Got help but not before it ruined a marriage. My daughter is the one who has had to deal with it.
R.I.P. to your brother in law.

• Sad
Reactions: Rick Flair

Thanks for your comment, miss my brother dearly and he left a wife and three beautiful daughters. So very sad. So blessed to here that someone connected with you! Would love to meet up if you’re ever in the area!

Got my WARN sliders mocked up tonight. Should be fairly quick work to get these installed. Liking the look, wishing they made a little more coverage. About 4” in the front and 6” in the rear left exposed.... :unsure:

7499D0F1-4619-4B57-B0D1-465E1F9B7F57.jpeg

Great day in the garage! Got the WARN rock sliders installed, finished up the wiring on the winch and installed the Grote Industries LED lights. Super pumped to have these lights on the rig. As an Indiana guy, as Grote is located in Madison, IN, it feels good! I will be installing their flush mount brake, reverse, turn signals in the rear soon.

27255CC6-3B1A-4382-9815-F89058EEE61A.jpeg

EAC7E643-82FC-4934-99A6-917AF4BC9D3A.jpeg

25DCA9FD-0D74-405D-A693-93FA2F7AE254.jpeg