Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

For those who said that the heatgun approach to removing plastic 'ashing' is a short-term solution...

PXL_20240525_220851204 (1).jpg

It appears you're right.... :cautious:

Speaker covers are starting to show the same lines after only a few rides out in the sun.

I told the wife that I'll be looking to paint the full dash next spring or the year after, depending on how things align.

• Sad
Reactions: Wildman
Ran by Lowe's on my way home to grab 5mm hardware to mount the RAM mount to the bracket.

I hate buying hardware at Lowe's. They always disappoint... 5mm x 16mm would have been perfect. Of course, Lowe's had 12mm length and 20mm length in stock. 16mm empty... It always seems to be the case when I shop hardware at Lowe's - almost what I need, almost.

So I went with the 20mm and figure I'll just cut them down once installed.

Welp, pulled out the hardware at home and — I picked up warped washers instead of standard flat washers. That's on me but.. ugh...

• Wow
Reactions: FarFire70
Picked up the flat washers today and mounted the RAM mount to the bracket.

PXL_20240530_024040276.jpg

Remaining threads are 0.17" (4.3mm) so the 16mm would have been (maybe) just enough but may not have engaged the nylon full so maybe Lowe's gifted me the 20mm by not having the 16mm.

I'll hit it with a flap wheel to knock each down a touch. I'd like to just have 2-threads showing (SAE standard to consider enough thread engagement) for a cleaner look.

Once again - Pulled open the 5mm draw at Lowe's and every section had multiple packs... except the flat washers which were empty. :mad: Looked at the sections nearby the washers and found the only flat washer pack sitting in the regular nut section...

Lowe's hardware - 'almost' has a decent hardware selection. So pissed the Lowe's killed the local ACE we had when we moved to the area...

I'll try to get this mounted tomorrow. Excited to see if it's stable (minimal bounce).

Went to install the phone holder the other day and found this...

PXL_20240607_043715180.jpg

Primer is showing through the black paint and this would be there the passengers enter and would really bother me.

Learned not to use the string from the ceiling for small/light parts... Just use a flat surface...

So today I threw down another coat of black and matte clear. It's drying today. May try to finally get it installed tomorrow.

Decided to finally get moving on some of the bigger tasks on the list and stop overthinking the air intake (more on that later...).

Pulled the tire carrier off for the first time since Homer was built. So if you're curious, here is what the paint condition looks like after 19 years and 156k miles:

PXL_20240615_193001094.jpg

Paint will get cleaned up before the MORryde hinges & tailgate plate get installed. Bolts came out with a little patience but they're rust-worn where they went through the bracket so new hardware will go back in when the time comes.

I had spaced the brake light lifted up with 1" nylon spacers (to clear the old 33s) but the hardware rusted over time to the bracket.

But since getting the welder, every problem has an 'easy button' solution....

PXL_20240615_180052091.jpg

All 4 came out easily.

Removing the brake light wiring, I found the bracket inside the tailgates needs some attention, so 'while I'm here' - it'll get a coat of fresh paint.

PXL_20240615_193009960.jpg

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
Since we're painting, I needed to get the new DirtWorx rear bumper out of the corner of the garage and prepped for paint.

When I first received it, I enjoyed seeing the personal touch that Robert at DirtWorx adds:

PXL_20240615_192544243.jpg

Wiped the bumper down with mineral spirits. Hit the tire carrier with a wire wheel then mineral spirits.

Now I have a modern-art installation in the garage...

PXL_20240615_192559017.jpg

PXL_20240615_192551765.jpg

Hope to prime/paint/clear tomorrow.

Been planning a 'How To' for the Forum on a replacement if the shift boot mounting bracket breaks. It's think metal and I figure over time this will happen for folks.

I created a CAD and had ordered 2 replacement pieces from Send Cut Send.

First try to bend it:

PXL_20240615_165019825.jpg

Bending went really well but the exact positions of the bends gave a little tighter fit than OEM backet. So I'm going to try again on the second blank.

Primed. Only hit the raw metal on the tire carrier.

1000006502.jpg
1000006504.jpg

Flat black coat #1

1000006519.jpg
1000006518.jpg

I'll go out in 20 min for coat #2. I'm staying with the 'coat within 1 hour' on the can while letting coats dry as much as possible. Trying very hard to not get drips while still getting in all the holes & small inner spaces of the brackets.

Coat #2 complete.

Had an "Ah, Damn..." moment just before second coat when I suddenly recommended I wanted to round out the edges of the recovery points in the bumper to accommodate soft shackles... 😧

I test for the WRG shackles and I'd need to remove so much material to make them fit through with any level of ease (as the current hole diameter is way too tight of a fit) that I opted - "That's a problem for future Mike..."

I'll see if it becomes something I want to get into down the line based on future experience with the soft shackles as I haven't used them yet.

My rear recovery has been a D-ring adapter in the hitch so having these two points is an upgrade to start with...

Coat #3 is done.

Hardware got 2 coats. It's done with color. Brackets need to be flipped & hit with color.

PXL_20240616_214937380.jpg

Three coats on the tire carrier. It's done.

PXL_20240616_214959061.jpg

Bumper looks good with 3 coats. I'm going to let it dry and check for any bare spots - the glossy wet paint makes it hard for me to see bare or thin spots.

PXL_20240616_214944171.jpg

Had Samuel L Jackson in my mind: "Mother F$%^er"....

PXL_20240616_214952183~2.jpg

Caught this edge of the bumper with my shoulder as I came up after spraying the bottom of the bumper... Got too cocky...

Hopefully it dries okay and doesn't look stupid....

Looking good all dried up! I hit inside the mounting bracket inner-corners where it's welded to the bumper as that seemed to be the only bare spot.

PXL_20240616_224556197.jpg

Edge I contacted should be ok.

PXL_20240616_224258859.jpg

Love a new coat of paint!

PXL_20240616_224533529.jpg

Can't flip brackets on the table until 5-7 hours after last coat. And the color requires clear within 1 hour or after 48 hours.

So I'll flip and color the brackets tomorrow and clear everything on Wed or Thurs.

I used to just go with self-etching primer and flat black but I found it just looked worn down over time so I've started to matte clear to keep a little but of protection to the paint to keep a better look longer. Time will tell, haven't been doing the clear long enough to know yet.

Filled the brackets and hit them with 2 coats of color.

PXL_20240617_220608937.jpg

PXL_20240617_221315393.jpg

Moved the string from front to back on both sides of the bumper and hit the spots covered by the string with color.

PXL_20240617_220614679.jpg

PXL_20240617_220629004.jpg

PXL_20240617_220636013.jpg

Got a little dripping on the mount brackets... They'll be hidden anyway...

PXL_20240617_221328008.jpg

PXL_20240617_221322190.jpg

I'm okay with the results for my first time hanging parts to paint. But I don't love the strings on the product. I'm thinking maybe some small diameter metal tubing to space out the string and create a single 'non-paint' spot within a mounting hole to be hit with brush after lowering the part.

I have to figure most auto painters are using wire since they're dealing with light-weight panels vs 40+ lbs. bumpers. Looks like a new topic to throw on the pile for research...

I've had over spray before, but damn....

PXL_20240616_215007801~2.jpg

Pretty much have overspray everywhere, even off the drop clothes. I can't tell how hard it'll be to get the garage back in order until after I clear coat everything as I'm not kicking up all that dust now...

Floor is noticeably sticky, even off the drop clothes.

I'll put this in the 'I'm learning' bin...

Filled the brackets and hit them with 2 coats of color.

View attachment 535107

View attachment 535109

Moved the string from front to back on both sides of the bumper and hit the spots covered by the string with color.

View attachment 535110

View attachment 535111

View attachment 535112

Got a little dripping on the mount brackets... They'll be hidden anyway...

View attachment 535113

View attachment 535115

I'm okay with the results for my first time hanging parts to paint. But I don't love the strings on the product. I'm thinking maybe some small diameter metal tubing to space out the string and create a single 'non-paint' spot within a mounting hole to be hit with brush after lowering the part.

I have to figure most auto painters are using wire since they're dealing with light-weight panels vs 40+ lbs. bumpers. Looks like a new topic to throw on the pile for research...

That looks like a toughazz bumper!

I've had over spray before, but damn....

View attachment 535116

Pretty much have overspray everywhere, even off the drop clothes. I can't tell how hard it'll be to get the garage back in order until after I clear coat everything as I'm not kicking up all that dust now...

Floor is noticeably sticky, even off the drop clothes.

I'll put this in the 'I'm learning' bin...

I get overspray everywhere when I was painting. I was amazed at where I got it sometimes.

That looks like a toughazz bumper!

As much as the forum shunned him away (his choice to leave, but unfortunate), it was his go-to recommendation and many others on the forum took his advice to good results.

I wanted an edge-to-edge bumper so this hit the mark.

And I like it stout as I'm a bang & clang off-roader... I'm looking forward to the increase departure angle by not having the hitch mount hanging below the bumper.