Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

I get overspray everywhere when I was painting. I was amazed at where I got it sometimes.

I'm thinking of grabbing one of those white painters coveralls next time I'm at Lowe's as I can expect I picked up a lot of it along the way.

I'm hoping some of it that landed off the drop clothes will sweep up, especially since a lot was picked up by my shoes when drying... We'll see if I now have a larger square imprint on the ground. I've had smaller overspray spots left from previous spots where the overspray left cardboard laydowns.

Reactions: Wildman
As much as the forum shunned him away (his choice to leave, but unfortunate), it was his go-to recommendation and many others on the forum took his advice to good results.

I wanted an edge-to-edge bumper so this hit the mark.

And I like it stout as I'm a bang & clang off-roader... I'm looking forward to the increase departure angle by not having the hitch mount hanging below the bumper.

Who? Jerry? Yeah,i wish he would have stayed and just toned down some of the rhetoric.

PXL_20240617_223144332.jpg

PXL_20240617_223236754.jpg

If you look closely enough, you'll see @Fluxor included some humor by including some Christmas-themed filler... because Christmas came early!! ;)

What is in the box?!?!?.....

PXL_20240617_223740612.jpg

:oops: :love:

Fellow WTJF member opted on his own to drop to the second drop so I was blessed enough to be first in line on the second run and get bumped up.

Bumper:

PXL_20240617_224012222.jpg

PXL_20240617_223831680.jpg

PXL_20240617_224044086.jpg

Steel Corner Reinforcement Armor:

PXL_20240617_223820491.jpg

PXL_20240617_223848048.jpg

PXL_20240617_223905739.jpg

Winch Plate:

PXL_20240617_224129048.jpg

PXL_20240617_224139606.jpg

PXL_20240617_224148745.jpg

NSFW Sexy Pics:

PXL_20240617_224339435.jpg

PXL_20240617_224352568.jpg

@Longwhitejeep beat me on consumer preview pics (and did a bunch of work on his already getting it ready for prime time!)

I thought about maybe going clear on the raw steel (after clean-up) but I'm going to go with flat black as that will aid with future repair of gouges that will grow rust.

Garage being full of overspray, this went to the basement, but I'm optimistic that isn't for long. I'm already ordering 800-2000 orbital sander discs (I don't think the 80-120 grit for my deck boards will be appropriate here... 😄) Garage should be free of painting projects by the weekend... 🤔

@Fluxor - Awesome product! I'm glad to be an early adopter! Great packaging. Looking forward to tub armor once I clear projects for the TJ off the shelf.

I've been thinking I need a winch. It'll be a bit off on the purchases, but now I have a plate - so the itch grows...

Very initial research has me thinking Warn M8000. Still early in my research. Open to ideas & suggestions.

I've been thinking I need a winch. It'll be a bit off on the purchases, but now I have a plate - so the itch grows...

Very initial research has me thinking Warn M8000. Still early in my research. Open to ideas & suggestions.

I have an m8000. I got it used and rebuilt it. Which really just consisted of replacing corroded parts, paint and cleaning contacts. Also cleaning and greasing the drum. It was cheaper this route and works great!

I have an m8000. I got it used and rebuilt it. Which really just consisted of replacing corroded parts, paint and cleaning contacts. Also cleaning and greasing the drum. It was cheaper this route and works great!

May need to keep open a search to see if one comes open used locally. I've heard it's a good learning experience to get one used, replenish it, and learn how the internals work.

I've been lucky to have someone forward or rear of me when I needed recover before. Plus, the times I thought to go over an obstacle without a winch that others needed to winch through, I needed to remember I need to drive home (no trailer then, still no trailer.... yet). But, better to have one than need one... Just need to not get dumb 'just because I have a winch'.

I picked up a Warn XD9000 for $225 and rebuilt it with @Blackjack help. I was all in around $400. It’s a great winch and I waterproofed it and added Blackjack’s breather kit. I’d keep an eye out and read Blackjack’s thread on Warn winches to know what to look for.

Nice bumper. I’d be in the first group, but I’m waiting for his rear and doing both together.

back to painting...I used to use string but have switched to wire coat hangers. They work much better. I cut them up into hooks and hang them. You might need more than one or two for heavy stuff like bumpers, but the wire is rigid enough to hold the part without wrapping around. You still have a contact point, but its generally in a bolt hole and not noticeable. Quick dap of paint on a q-tip takes care of it.

I hope to have the rear design done next week when I’m back for vacation.

I’m incorporating soft shackle mounts, frame reinforcing brackets that tie into the soft shackle mount , 6061 shell with rash guards so the design is a little more complicated.

Nice! That is all I said I need now 🤣. A matching aluminum rear bumper. Also those sweet aluminum soft shackle mounts for the front!

back to painting...I used to use string but have switched to wire coat hangers. They work much better. I cut them up into hooks and hang them. You might need more than one or two for heavy stuff like bumpers, but the wire is rigid enough to hold the part without wrapping around. You still have a contact point, but its generally in a bolt hole and not noticeable. Quick dap of paint on a q-tip takes care of it.

Exactly what I'm thinking. String down and then wire or the string through small diameter coper tubing into a bolt hole for minimal 'non-painted area'.

For a 45lb bumper (per UPS the rear bumper weights in at 45lbs), I suspect I'd need at least 2 pieces through each hole to hold the weight and keep from deforming the wire.

I also had originally used 1 piece of string to hold the bumper. I knew I should have gone with 2 but the string was rated for 160lb.

LIGHTWEIGHT STRENGTH - Nylon fibers are twisted to create a mid-stretch line that can hold loads of up to 160 pounds. Handles high-stress application with no sag or distortion.

And it did hold the bumper (But I disagree with the 'no sag' as it did sag 3-4" under the weight of the bumper), but when I went to move the string to primer the spot covered by the string, I believe the sharp edge of the holes cut the wire and the bumper went to the ground...

PXL_20240616_174655499.jpg

PXL_20240616_174706971.jpg

PXL_20240616_174715940.jpg

Impact points:

PXL_20240616_174720593.jpg

PXL_20240616_174728267.jpg

Wire or tubing through wouldn't have been cut... Learning lesson.

• Wow
Exactly what I'm thinking. String down and then wire or the string through small diameter coper tubing into a bolt hole for minimal 'non-painted area'.

For a 45lb bumper (per UPS the rear bumper weights in at 45lbs), I suspect I'd need at least 2 pieces through each hole to hold the weight and keep from deforming the wire.

I also had originally used 1 piece of string to hold the bumper. I knew I should have gone with 2 but the string was rated for 160lb.

And it did hold the bumper (But I disagree with the 'no sag' as it did sag 3-4" under the weight of the bumper), but when I went to move the string to primer the spot covered by the string, I believe the sharp edge of the holes cut the wire and the bumper went to the ground...

View attachment 535870

View attachment 535871

View attachment 535872

Impact points:

View attachment 535873

View attachment 535874

Wire or tubing through wouldn't have been cut... Learning lesson.

When I was doing my painting I got a 60lb test fishing line. Figured it would leave less of a line from painting. Not going to say it worked out GREAT but it worked. I have to say while it was an experience I am NO painter.

I was almost done with my front fenders and knocked them off the saw horses I had them on. Took me 4+ days to get them cleaned up enough to repaint them. It was a complete mess.

Bummer about the bumper.

Reactions: FarFire70
When I was doing my painting I got a 60lb test fishing line. Figured it would leave less of a line from painting. Not going to say it worked out GREAT but it worked. I have to say while it was an experience I am NO painter.

I was almost done with my front fenders and knocked them off the saw horses I had them on. Took me 4+ days to get them cleaned up enough to repaint them. It was a complete mess.

Bummer about the bumper.

Fishline it a great idea! Less likely to get 'quickly cut' on a sharp edge like fabric/synthetic string.

I recall seeing that in your build thread. Seems like a lifetime ago watching you paint up your panels/armor. Excited for the Hemi install and seeing you back on the road/trails!

Luckily the rash wasn't so bad and 'it's a Jeep bumper' so I don't need 100% perfect. Rash was decently covered in the color phase. I'll likely be the only one to see it.

I keep telling myself - 'You aren't painting panels for your Show 1st Gen Camaro' ... These are Jeep parts so get to good; good is better than trying for great.

[BTW - 1st Gen Camaro is my dream car, I don't own one... Wife certainly hasn't approved that one.... yet ;) ]

• Love
Fishline it a great idea! Less likely to get 'quickly cut' on a sharp edge like fabric/synthetic string.

I recall seeing that in your build thread. Seems like a lifetime ago watching you paint up your panels/armor. Excited for the Hemi install and seeing you back on the road/trails!

Luckily the rash wasn't so bad and 'it's a Jeep bumper' so I don't need 100% perfect. Rash was decently covered in the color phase. I'll likely be the only one to see it.

I keep telling myself - 'You aren't painting panels for your Show 1st Gen Camaro' ... These are Jeep parts so get to good; good is better than trying for great.

[BTW - 1st Gen Camaro is my dream car, I don't own one... Wife certainly hasn't approved that one.... yet ;) ]

I've got some chips in my paint not that I need to touch up with all the engine work I've had to do. And now I've got to remove the front bumper/lights/winch & grille to facilitate doing the engine swap easier.

Yes it's a Jeep that you plan on using on trails so it doesn't have to be perfect but it sure is nice to have the first ding/scratch from a trail run.

Reactions: FarFire70
Keeping an eye on the weather for tomorrow. Looks like it will be the same tomorrow as today - 88*/89* but the humidity is supposed to dive from 75%+ to 20-30%.

That would be much better conditions for clear coating everything.

Really want the floor space back for working on the front bumper before then turning to painting the rocker guards.

Work ran long and family needed my attention this evening so clear coat postponed. I'll hit it early tomorrow before work. Humidity conditions this evening look promising for the morning.

Amazon delivered the orbital sanding 400-2000 discs today. Ordered Chemical Guys Heavy Metal Polish and more pads for the orbital polisher. They'll be here Sunday. This way I'll have orbital pads for the bumper, body, and a future needs.

Went with these as they seemed cost effective:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017GAGHMQ/?tag=wranglerorg-20

First time using the orbital polishing coming up, but I know if I only have 1 set of pads, I'll drop the polisher on the floor during first uses.... (Murphy's Law — Respect it!)