Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

1000006187.jpg

Picked these up from Extreme Terrain for when the hardtop goes back on. OEM torx is a pain... Should make install easier

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman
I use some of those from amazon. I have to tighten them occasionally. Very handy for taking the top off impromptu

I'm hopeful the rubberized washers will help with tension, but I'm expect to inspect them more regularly since there's no way to get a thumb screw as tight as a bolt with a ratchet...

Reactions: Rickyd
View attachment 524036

Picked these up from Extreme Terrain for when the hardtop goes back on. OEM torx is a pain... Should make install easier

I’ve been using four of those for seven years. I kept dropping the nuts near the B pillar, so I quit using those holes. Works fine..

Reactions: FarFire70
Parked him doorless in the driveway today for an overnight stay while I paint some parts for the garage. First time in years he's been doorless and outside overnight... all alone... 😭

All joking aside, it is funny how I'm more worried now about keeping him out and about not fully closed up. I don't know if it is getting older, the way things are in society, or the neighborhood car 'break-ins' (kids taking stuff from unlocked cars). I don't keep anything in the Jeep and I pulled in the garage door opener but still...

Just a funny sense/concern that I didn't feel before. I gotta think it's getting older... Like young kids with no fears and then you get older and realize all the risks in life...

—-

Anyway, he'll be freshly washed and interior wet because we're getting rain overnight and he ain't coming in. <shrug> He'll live. 😉

Reactions: Wildman
Parked him doorless in the driveway today for an overnight stay while I paint some parts for the garage. First time in years he's been doorless and outside overnight... all alone... 😭

All joking aside, it is funny how I'm more worried now about keeping him out and about not fully closed up. I don't know if it is getting older, the way things are in society, or the neighborhood car 'break-ins' (kids taking stuff from unlocked cars). I don't keep anything in the Jeep and I pulled in the garage door opener but still...

Just a funny sense/concern that I didn't feel before. I gotta think it's getting older... Like young kids with no fears and then you get older and realize all the risks in life...

—-

Anyway, he'll be freshly washed and interior wet because we're getting rain overnight and he ain't coming in. <shrug> He'll live. 😉

Better put a tarp on it. Those electronics don't belong in a cj...

You have skim right? Man when i recently did some ignition actuator and switch work i was disturbed how unsecure my 97 is 😬

Better put a tarp on it. Those electronics don't belong in a cj...

You have skim right? Man when i recently did some ignition actuator and switch work i was disturbed how unsecure my 97 is 😬

I threw the top up so it's covered from that perspective - although if the rain gets wind-blown, it'll get wetter inside.

It's been in plenty of rain storms with the top down and 🤞 its been ok. But with anything as it ages... I agree with you on watching out for the electronics.

I do have SKIM. Just confirmed it operates correctly the other day. I had it added after I purchased it years back. Agree with you on how easy the TJ can be taken with just a screwdriver and hammer (without SKIM)...

I pulled all the loose change in the cupholder too.... :LOL:

Reactions: Wildman and Rickyd
Also found a quarter-sized drop of axle fluid when I went to put down a drop cloth for painting. Looks like the driver-side axle seal is continuing to weep so really need to limit miles and get the axle seals installed.

Parts are here, just need to prioritize it on the 'to do' list.

Been thinking about going back to Lube Lockers on the diffs. Used them years ago with success but moved back to RTV after I wasn't sure of their long-term reliability. That doesn't seem to be a community issues so I'll try them again.

Ordered one from Amazon, should arrive Friday.

—-

I was thinking of going with one of the home-made approaches with a socket or PVC coupler and socket extensions or pipe. I ended up figuring that it'd probably be money well spent to just go with a press-style installer.

61CqD-K+k1L._AC_SX679_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082SPPHB7/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Hoping to hit the seals this weekend.

Call it S.O.S. all you want to insult it... I call it delicious and the perfect 'stick to your ribs' breakfast.

1000006233.jpg

It's a cooler May day here so glad to busy out the best winter breakfast.

Alright, breakfasted up and off to work on the axle seals. (y)

I can't believe what can out of the front diff. Amsoil 80w90. Looks like it's been through the drink a few times. This has 600 miles on it just on-road use... 😲

PXL_20240518_175320033.jpg

PXL_20240518_175351963.jpg

PXL_20240518_175358908.jpg

Valvoline SynPower 75w140 went in upon refill today. I need to dip the rear to see what's going on back there...

Pulled apart the front axle. Wasn't terribly dirty inside. I never actually checked (shame on me) how the tubes looked while the axle was out.

PXL_20240518_183059977.jpg

Threw brake clean down the tubes and a few rounds of paper towels to get the loose stuff.

Driver side seal area (which is the one that was leaking) showed this:

PXL_20240518_184238915.jpg

A little work with a razor blade (using it to remove the existing RTV from the old seals) got to this:

PXL_20240518_184244713.jpg

Since this was the side that's been leaking, I wasn't taking any changes. So Dremel came out (what a great tool). Wire brush then flap wheel.

PXL_20240518_185855820.jpg

PXL_20240518_185846709.jpg

End result:

PXL_20240518_190454371.jpg

Wasn't perfect but I know my luck - keep pushing the flap wheel and I'd go too far...

I decided to follow the shop installer from the regear and go with RTV as a back-up. I don't know if this rust was there when the axle was regeared 75k miles ago. But I'll keep an eye on it. If a new seal and RTV gets me another 75k miles, I'll be ok with that.

Inner seal install tool was easy to use and very effective. 'Get the right tool for the job' makes like easier every time.

I hated seeing the Chinese writing on one of the stickers on the box. I figured the tool was built in China based on the price. Just the way the world is today...

PXL_20240518_191025550.jpg

Seal went in well and looks like RTV spread smooth and limited within the diff.

PXL_20240518_191142523.jpg

I have some concerns that the axle wear may have been a part of the leak:

PXL_20240518_194430629.jpg

PXL_20240518_194437675.jpg

Looks like a pretty good groove has been worn into the shaft.

If it leaks again, I'll convince the wife the only way to avoid future wearing at the seals is to upgrade to chromoly shafts... ;)

Reactions: FarFire70
So I'm going with the Lube Locker.

Theoretical garage hand: "So when are you planning to clean the diff mounting surface of old RTV, since you have the carrier out?"

Me: 'Once I have the carrier back in, of course' 😣 <Forehead slap>

PXL_20240518_193503403.jpg

As I pulled out the Lube Locker from the Amazon packaging, I thought to myself - 'I wonder if they include a sticker because I'd like to add a sticker to my tool chests for it'...

I'm a toddler wanting stickers... I guess many of us in this community are.

PXL_20240518_202706961.jpg

And Lube Locker didn't let me down! (y):ROFLMAO:

After putting in new diff fluid, I took him for a spin and damn - I Love this Jeep! Handles great! Love slamming gears.

He rides like a champ! And I love him doorless! So glad he's back on the road and the Jeep weather is here!

Rewarded his bravery in the axle repair with a fresh tank of gas while 'test driving' the axle seals. He needs it because he's a drinker...

Reactions: Wildman
On my crusty front rubi axle from new york i used a drill extension similar to this of the right length
https://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-Tool-38113-Extension/dp/B00ABDYV2O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

and some wire brushs and flap sanders meant for a drill to clean out the tubes.
Followed up by spraying and smearing rustoleum in With a rod and paint soaked rag a few times. Figured it would help the axleshafts go back in clean on assembly

I like that approach. There was a good bit of surface rust on the tubes. I had outer tube seals installed that I removed while the axles were out recently.

I'm glad I pulled the outer seals because I never would have known about this inner seal leak otherwise.

I do wonder how much moisture was captured by the outer seals. I did my best to clear what was there that a rag would remove but didn't go as deep as you did.