Building Homer (2005 TJ Build Thread)

Otherwise, life has been busy. Homer hasn't seen much attention. I've driven him to the store a few times but trying to minimize time on the road before I replace the front axle seals.

I planned for March to be my monthly to build a new garage workbench. I drew up ideas back in the fall but wasted time getting around to designing the 'lumber-cut' design. So that's been my recent focus this week:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/work-bench-garage-version-2.74283/page-2#post-1513633

The workbench and garage will be my focus the next few weeks (life allowing).

Next up:
  • Paint the raw steel Dirtworx bumper on the garage floor & spare tire holder
  • Polish/wax the paint & mount the MORryde hinges/brace
Spent this weekend cleaning out the garage and moving a lot of parts (catback, GTS, etc) to the basement that will eventually go on... So much more room to work. Can't wait for 130" of workbench space!

Reactions: JMT and Rickyd
Savvy updated status to printed shipping label so engine skid coming soon.

Cleaning out the basement, I put the OEM fenders out for trash pick-up tonight. It's a moment of letting go... :cry::)

Savvy engine skid arrived today. (y)

Included all the hardware, except one of the nuts for the front arm bolts... ugh. I sent an email to Savvy. If I don't get a reply in a day or so, I'll give them a call.

PXL_20240326_000903617.jpg

PXL_20240326_000907360.jpg

Used the bathroom scale to weight myself and then weight myself holding each skid. Wife did a second weigh with the SR to ensure I wasn't maxing out the scale...

Savvy Skid: 11.6 lbs

Skid Row Skid: 39.6 lbs

Saving 28 lbs! And you can feel it immediately on picking them up.

—-

While I had the scale out, I weighted my rocker guards in the basement.

Rokmen Rocker Guard (for one side): 43.6 lbs 😲

I want Savvy rocker guards but they still aren't available. If Savvy isn't available when I get around to re-installing them this summer, I'll keep the Rokmen and cut them to fit around the GR flares in the front.

Reactions: JMT
Savvy engine skid arrived today. (y)

Included all the hardware, except one of the nuts for the front arm bolts... ugh. I sent an email to Savvy. If I don't get a reply in a day or so, I'll give them a call.

View attachment 512315

View attachment 512316

Used the bathroom scale to weight myself and then weight myself holding each skid. Wife did a second weigh with the SR to ensure I wasn't maxing out the scale...

Savvy Skid: 11.6 lbs

Skid Row Skid: 39.6 lbs

Saving 28 lbs! And you can feel it immediately on picking them up.

—-

While I had the scale out, I weighted my rocker guards in the basement.

Rokmen Rocker Guard (for one side): 43.6 lbs 😲

I want Savvy rocker guards but they still aren't available. If Savvy isn't available when I get around to re-installing them this summer, I'll keep the Rokmen and cut them to fit around the GR flares in the front.

Did you get four 82* countersink head screws and four lock nuts? I got my skid a week or two ago and I did not get those.

Weird you got two of the same passenger side bracket.

Reactions: FarFire70
Did you get four 82* countersink head screws and four lock nuts? I got my skid a week or two ago and I did not get those.

Weird you got two of the same passenger side bracket.

Yes - the countersunk philips head bolts and associated nuts.

I wasn't 100% sure why I had 3 brackets. From cursory research, I thought perhaps there were 2 brackets for the driver side for folks with a mid-arm. I was going to play around with them when I went to install it.

I reached out to Savvy and Gerald was quick to get back to me. He'll ship out a nut next week when he's back from EJS.

You’d only save 18lbs with the Savvy rockers.

Hmm... I hadn't run the numbers yet. I did see the weights in your great rocker guard guide previously.

You're right -18lbs... I think sunk cost on the Rokmen and that small delta for a part that I don't remove with any regularity makes me think I'm sticking with the Rokmen.

Reactions: JMT
No update on the Jeep. He's (unfortunately) living in the driveway while I work on the workbench and re-arranging the garage.

On a personal front, this Easter weekend put my family through the scariest moments we've ever faced since our boys were born.

My boys both had a slight fever early Saturday. While having a family dinner, my oldest twin started struggling to eat/breath. My wife and I immediately got him to the sink and got him to throw up. He still wasn't responsive and his lips turned blue.

Got him to the floor and started CPR on my 18 month old... I never want to be in that moment again...

- EMT and Police were on-site within 60-120 seconds. They were amazing! Big thanks to all the first responders out there! 🇺🇸 They immediate diagnosed it was a seizure.

Long story short, his fever spiked to 104* and he suffered a febrile seizure. No sights he was about to be in distress before everything happened, just a warm toddler. For those who don't know (we had no idea this is a thing), a child 6mo-6yrs can have seizures when they have a high fever.

He was admitted to the hospital overnight for observation and released Sunday. 🙏

If you have any youngers in your family, tell their parents to learn about febrile seizures. We miss diagnosed their fever as thinking it was teething related. Treatment is as simple as Tylenol & Motrin to keep the fever under control before it spikes. But we had no idea to even consider this. Monitor fevers in your toddlers closely...

No update on the Jeep. He's (unfortunately) living in the driveway while I work on the workbench and re-arranging the garage.

On a personal front, this Easter weekend put my family through the scariest moments we've ever faced since our boys were born.

My boys both had a slight fever early Saturday. While having a family dinner, my oldest twin started struggling to eat/breath. My wife and I immediately got him to the sink and got him to throw up. He still wasn't responsive and his lips turned blue.

Got him to the floor and started CPR on my 18 month old... I never want to be in that moment again...

- EMT and Police were on-site within 60-120 seconds. They were amazing! Big thanks to all the first responders out there! 🇺🇸 They immediate diagnosed it was a seizure.

Long story short, his fever spiked to 104* and he suffered a febrile seizure. No sights he was about to be in distress before everything happened, just a warm toddler. For those who don't know (we had no idea this is a thing), a child 6mo-6yrs can have seizures when they have a high fever.

He was admitted to the hospital overnight for observation and released Sunday. 🙏

If you have any youngers in your family, tell their parents to learn about febrile seizures. We miss diagnosed their fever as thinking it was teething related. Treatment is as simple as Tylenol & Motrin to keep the fever under control before it spikes. But we had no idea to even consider this. Monitor fevers in your toddlers closely...

WOW you've really had some experiences with your kids. The closest I've come to this was when I was out for dinner with my daughters mom & two sisters when the middle sister starts to choke on some food. Well she's 6 years old and small for her age & I'm trying to get my big meat hooks into her mouth to grab the food. Every time I almost grab it she gasps and sucks the food down her throat. I finally was able to smack her back enough to dislodge the food and she spits it out.

Glad he's doing OK and that everything is OK.

I learned something today, didn’t know that either and we have a 7 month old. Wow.

Glad it all worked out for you.

WOW you've really had some experiences with your kids. The closest I've come to this was when I was out for dinner with my daughters mom & two sisters when the middle sister starts to choke on some food. Well she's 6 years old and small for her age & I'm trying to get my big meat hooks into her mouth to grab the food. Every time I almost grab it she gasps and sucks the food down her throat. I finally was able to smack her back enough to dislodge the food and she spits it out.

Glad he's doing OK and that everything is OK.

Wife and I have bruised fingers from him clamping down his jaws (20-20 makes sense for a seizure) as we jammed our fingers down his throat to trigger him to throw up while I slammed my palm on his back.

That had to be a scary experience for your with your daughter! Choking has always been a fear for us. Quick action is the best you do with no stop until the situation is resolved! Never stop!

Thank you! He was more himself today. We hope he doesn't remember any of it... We'll never forget...

I learned something today, didn’t know that either and we have a 7 month old. Wow.

Glad it all worked out for you.

Paying it forward!

Your 7-mon will (likely) get fevers as they pop teeth. Don't assume. Get thermometers and test. We were back home with family without a thermometer. We didn't think to travel with one...

Found out my cousin's kid has these febrile seizures, too. It's apparently more common than we know...

PO was first on scene and called out that it was a seizure to my sister to alert the EMTs as they arrived. That changed everything to their on-site approach to getting him cool.

Holding him before it happened, we'd never guessed he was at or heading to 104*. The 'touch fever tester' we all do is useless...

My son had two of those when he was very young also, his were caused from ear infections. One happened while we were waiting in the Hospital Emergency Room to get checked in. My wife yelled at me that he is not breathing I looked over at him and he was turning blue I started screaming at the lady checking us. Then a nurse pushed open the door and yelled what is going on out here i said he is not breathing, in one quick second she grabbed him from my wife and ran into the ER and the door slammed behind her. I tried to open the door but it only opens from the inside. We had to wait the lobby for about 30 wrenching minutes before getting to go in and see him in an ice bath. It happened SO FAST you need as said above watch there fevers very closely.

Paying it forward!

Your 7-mon will (likely) get fevers as they pop teeth. Don't assume. Get thermometers and test. We were back home with family without a thermometer. We didn't think to travel with one...

Found out my cousin's kid has these febrile seizures, too. It's apparently more common than we know...

PO was first on scene and called out that it was a seizure to my sister to alert the EMTs as they arrived. That changed everything to their on-site approach to getting him cool.

Holding him before it happened, we'd never guessed he was at or heading to 104*. The 'touch fever tester' we all do is useless...

He's had a couple fevers already but I don't think he's reached over 101° usually giving Tylenol first. We will be traveling this week so I'll make sure we have a thermometer now.

I really couldn't imagine what you had to go through.

My son had two of those when he was very young also, his were caused from ear infections. One happened while we were waiting in the Hospital Emergency Room to get checked in. My wife yelled at me that he is not breathing I looked over at him and he was turning blue I started screaming at the lady checking us. Then a nurse pushed open the door and yelled what is going on out here i said he is not breathing, in one quick second she grabbed him from my wife and ran into the ER and the door slammed behind her. I tried to open the door but it only opens from the inside. We had to wait the lobby for about 30 wrenching minutes before getting to go in and see him in an ice bath. It happened SO FAST you need as said above watch there fevers very closely.

Couldn't have happened in a better place for you. Can't imagine those 30 min you experienced. You said it - it happens so fast!

EMTs did the same thing - covered him in every ice pack they had and then started pulling stuff from our freezer. Everything they could to bring down his body temp.

I'm glad you called 911 before too long. And that you have first responder neighbors!

My mom's house is about 2 miles from the police and EMTs. 4-5 miles from the for Dept. All 3 services responded. Every one of them was amazing!

Our house is another story. Definitely more distance they would have to travel. Lucked out to find out about this with help so close.

After reading your thread I had a couple of ideas. One was to get some grab bars for your 5’ wife. They are way more stable and confidence inspiring than the cloth dangly ones. Might help you score some Jeep points.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9IGC9?tag=wranglerorg-20

The other idea was for the kids so they don’t get wind blown as bad. I used an LJ Spiderwebshade to give more coverage from the Sun. For the sides, Smittybilt make some mesh side windows. Might score more Jeep points.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smit...Vxs3CBB2vQAW1EAQYASABEgJGlPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I really liked the fabbed parts that you had cut. Nice Instatrunk too!

Last edited:
Reactions: FarFire70
After reading your thread I had a couple of ideas. One was to get some grab bars for your 5’ wife. They are way more stable and confidence inspiring than the cloth dangly ones. Might help you score some Jeep points.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY9IGC9?tag=wranglerorg-20

I've been eyeing that style of grab handles but hesistant to modify the interior trim. But I'm going to be drilling the trim to add tweeters - so what the heck is the difference to cut the top portion?

The other idea was for the kids so they don’t get wind blown as bad. I used an LJ Spiderwebshade to give more coverage from the Sun. For the sides, Smittybilt make some mesh side windows. Might score more Jeep points.

https://www.extremeterrain.com/smit...Vxs3CBB2vQAW1EAQYASABEgJGlPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Great idea! I like the idea of the over-sized shade to add more coverage. 90% of the time I ride summer with the top on (no windows, no doors). I have been looking at some sort of top to let in more light/exposure but still give shade. (I burn way too easy and my eye are very sensitive to sunlight so need some blockage between me and the sun).

Appreciate you looking out for my Jeep points! ;) (y) You clearly have experience in this arena...

• Haha
Reactions: JMT and Wildman
I've been eyeing that style of grab handles but hesistant to modify the interior trim. But I'm going to be drilling the trim to add tweeters - so what the heck is the difference to cut the top portion?

Great idea! I like the idea of the over-sized shade to add more coverage. 90% of the time I ride summer with the top on (no windows, no doors). I have been looking at some sort of top to let in more light/exposure but still give shade. (I burn way too easy and my eye are very sensitive to sunlight so need some blockage between me and the sun).

Appreciate you looking out for my Jeep points! ;) (y) You clearly have experience in this arena...

My wife is all for the Jeep! She bought me beadlocks! What a blessing!

Your build sounds nice. I wanted to see more pics of the whole rig in the thread. Post up some good ones!

My wife is all for the Jeep! She bought me beadlocks! What a blessing!

Your build sounds nice. I wanted to see more pics of the whole rig in the thread. Post up some good ones!

I've been holding off on pics of the Jeep in all it's glory until I get to work on the paint - plans to claybar, polish, & wax. Next up is to paint the frame. I'm still running without a bumper...

I'll get some shot up next time I get him on the road. Working on the garage now...

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/work-bench-garage-version-2.74283/

Reactions: JMT and Wildman